Carlton TV

Some of you may remember I posted a request from a researcher from Carlton TV a couple of months ago.

They were looking for Geocachers from Dorset or surrounding areas to take part in a feature.

Unfortunately no one who replied was from the right area but they are now interested in anyone who Caches in the area as well.

If anyone is interested the contact details are as follows alison.seymour@carltontv.co.uk

I have spoken with Alison and she has today e-mailed most people who have left a cache in the area, so some of you may have already received a contact about this.

Hope some of you are able to help as it could be good publicity for Geocaching.

Dave

We also e-mailed Alison as Sarah's father (also a Geocacher) lives within the Carlton area, and we have done a number of caches together around south Dorset.

This afternoon we met with a camera crew and producer from Carlton to make a short film on geocaching, which will be used to supplement their early evening regional news programme.

The cache that we visited was a bit of a cheat because it was one that Mike (Sarah's dad) had placed earlier this year. We chose a cache we knew simply so that we would have an idea of the terrain, and so that the camera crew didn't end up carrying their heavy equipment across bogs/mud/etc.

Some of the acting was a bit 'hammy' but it was great fun to do. Hopefully we have brought across the 'fun' and 'family' elements of this great hobby of ours.

As soon as we have details as to when the feature will be broadcast, we will post the date and time on this forum.

If you live outside the Carlton West Country region, but have digital satellite TV, you can tune your Digibox as follows:

Press 'Services' Button

Go to 'System Set-Up'

Go to 'Add Channels'

Use the following information to search:

Frequency 10.832

Polarisation H

Symbol Rate 22.0

FEC 5/6

A number of channels will appear - it is ITV1 West Country that you require.

Once you have stored the new channel it can be viewed by pressing 'Services' followed by 'Other Channels'

I managed this using our Amstrad box, but other makes may be different. If you know if this is the case, any additional information would be appreciated.

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

Just think, step back for a moment and look around. We all talk about caches which have been plundered and i am sure that all cache owners here also fear their caches being nicked.

I realise that a film about Geocaching would promote some publisity for the sport but just think of all the yobs who would watch the film and think this is a good way of making a nusense of themselves. Many more caches would disappear i am sure and there would be much more graffiti in those surviving the nickers. I must say i am extrememly worried that we have to rely on TV for publisity. surly a handout could be printed and given to major GPS suppilers which is then handed out to purchasers of GPS systems so that coverage is brought this way and we will then know that people who have a gps are getting information on different ways to use the gadget. icon_mad.gif

Just think, step back for a moment and look around. We all talk about caches which have been plundered and i am sure that all cache owners here also fear their caches being nicked.

I realise that a film about Geocaching would promote some publisity for the sport but just think of all the yobs who would watch the film and think this is a good way of making a nusense of themselves. Many more caches would disappear i am sure and there would be much more graffiti in those surviving the nickers. I must say i am extrememly worried that we have to rely on TV for publisity. surly a handout could be printed and given to major GPS suppilers which is then handed out to purchasers of GPS systems so that coverage is brought this way and we will then know that people who have a gps are getting information on different ways to use the gadget. icon_mad.gif

TV gets the message across to a far bigger audience than a flyer with a GPS unit. Let's face it the number of people buying GPS units is small compared to the number of people watching even the local ITV news. Sure, yobs and other near do wells might see the piece and possibly even identify the locations from the article, but effort of then going out, finding the cache and then messing it up is pretty high, a nd generally such people find it far easier to despoil something nearer and easier to find like the local bus shelter. The biggest risk to a cache is from accidental discovery by that sort of person who just happens to be in the area and finds it, rather than somebody who goes out of their way to find the cache in order to wreck it.

Don't mention the mushrooms

I really don't think that the kind of people who would trash a geocache would be the kind of people who would avidly watch a regional news programme!

In my experience, aside from one or two incidents, caches that have been trashed or removed have become uncovered accidentally, or been unintentionally hidden in a popular or well travelled spot (usually a local kid hang out spot).

Regards,

Richard

Other problems i can see are these. Landowners such as farmers and nature groups may also be watching the programme/new broadcast, become worred and then maybe discover the caches on their land. Now this cache may be on the public footpath but it is still possible they will remove it (remember if a farmer owns the land, all he needs is a photo and he will find the area easily.

As you can all tell i am sure... i am totally against this broadcast, but if the rest of you wish to go ahead with it well so be it but don't start complaining in about 4 months time when caches seem to be disappearing far more than new caches are appearing icon_mad.gif

Other problems i can see are these. Landowners such as farmers and nature groups may also be watching the programme/new broadcast, become worred and then maybe discover the caches on their land. Now this cache may be on the public footpath but it is still possible they will remove it (remember if a farmer owns the land, all he needs is a photo and he will find the area easily.

As you can all tell i am sure... i am totally against this broadcast, but if the rest of you wish to go ahead with it well so be it but don't start complaining in about 4 months time when caches seem to be disappearing far more than new caches are appearing icon_mad.gif

In response to some of your concerns:

Landowners such as farmers and nature groups may also be watching the programme/new broadcast, become worred and then maybe discover the caches on their land. Now this cache may be on the public footpath but it is still possible they will remove it (remember if a farmer owns the land, all he needs is a photo and he will find the area easily.

I agree totally. If the landowner is unhappy that a cache has been placed on his land without permission, he is entitled to remove it. If you think there may be a problem when placing a cache, do some research and seek permission first.

As you can all tell i am sure... i am totally against this broadcast, but if the rest of you wish to go ahead with it well so be it but don't start complaining in about 4 months time when caches seem to be disappearing far more than new caches are appearing.

Our personal beliefs are obviously somewhat different and I don't want to get into an argument as to whose view is correct. The reason for agreeing to do the broadcast was simply to provide help and support to a hobby that we are very interested in. The small amount of potential problems it could cause are far outweighed by the fact it can bring our hobby to a much wider audience, and by proving that we (geocachers) can be responsible when hiding/seeking caches, there is no reason at all why landowners et al should not support us and help the hobby grow.

Team Tate

I had some thoughts about this whole issue in the bath this morning (I find it a good place for thinking).

The landowner issue is obviously a problem, but then it always has been. OTOH the programme may improve access rights on some land - some landowners, on seeing how harmless the sport is, may actually relax their attitude to caching.

I do not believe the trashing issue will ever be a major problem. There will always be a certain level of trashing as vandals discover caches by accident. However, I don't believe we will ever have gangs of trashers systematically roaming the countryside trashing caches.

The reason for this is that it takes a lot of equipment to discover the average cache. You need an Internet connection, a GPS receiver and some form of independent transport. One or other of these will exclude many people likely to trash caches, for instance no teenage kid is going to own a car and very few people of any age have a GPS receiver.

Once you have the equipment, you need to put a lot of effort in to find the cache. Typically I do about an hour's preparation (selecting caches, route planning, printing, downloading data to GPS etc) before even leaving the house. The actual cache hunt will usually involve at least two hours driving and then there is the approach on foot and the looking for each cache. I average about three caches per hunt and I'm usually pretty tired by the time I get back. I think, if you're the kind of person that gets a kick out of destroying other people's fun, the dedication required to keep this up would soon lose its attraction and you'd go back to vandalising telephone boxes.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Jeremyp has said it all. I have yet to find a trashed cache.we had this thread about a year back when geocaching was in the news and in mags. That is how I got into this hobby.

Also I agree with Jeremyp. Yes after about 4 caches it does tire us OLD ONES down..

I am glad the item came off and I don`t think we run any risk at all of caches being trashed as a result.

Thanks very much to Team Tate for taking part.

I think the more publicity the better for Geocaching, remember with more Geocaches come more local caches.

If anyone knows of a web link to the item please could they post it. It would be good to have a look.

Dave

Thanks to all for your replies and support. Also, many many thanks go to Gary and Jane who posted the broadcast times and even went to the bother of phoning me up to let me know.

I have been informed by Carlton that a copy of the broadcast (all 1 minute and 55 seconds!) will be sent to us on videotape. I am in discussions with a friend who should be able to host an AVI of the recording. As soon as I know more I will publish the URL on this forum.

Team Tate

I cant think why any land owner would be that petty as to destroy a cache, if a cache has been hidden sensibly, where no damage to fences, or crops would be incurred, and no cow or sheep worrying,was a result. I dont think trashing, if any, would be on a grand scale, as I cant see the street cred. in it. A bigger worry, as we all seem to be a bit pessimistic, would be gangs of hooligans jumping out from behind tree's and nicking your GPS and your sarnies.

I think that anything that raises the awareness of the sport is a good thing (It avoids having to explain the sport to passers by who are wondering why we are sneaking about in bushes!)

Anything that means that goecaching gets more players must, ultimatly, be a good thing. As for the question of trashing caches, Jeremy said it all. If a landowner removes a cache because it is on his land, then the cache had no right to be there in the first place. If a landowner wants the cache removed, if they have justifiable reasons i.e. cachers are damaging their crops, then they have every right to complain to geocaching.com and, ultimatly, remove the cache.

Sorry for the long post

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

Ok, we've found it, now where did we put the car?

The average Hooligan would make the mistake of thinking your GPS was a Mobile phone....therefore mugging you and getting quite a shock!

Had this problem when we did Grand Union Canal cache(now archived) we started walking along the canaland thought we could see a gang in the distance....Luckily it was just the reflection of the water on the wall but even so it would have been pleasent! I'd have had to jumped in!

Anyone been mugged for your GPS?

Pid

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan and Pid)

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Weasel:

LoL...I mean I know I am not one for breaking any laws working for a legit IT company and all that but really guys.....do you have to play things by the book here?

Just upload the AVI and let everyone get it. Carlton won't exactly find out and if they do I doubt they will even care.

Pid

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

I'm afraid i'm with Pid on this one, just upload the avi and if those $%&^(@%#&%(% s find out then say they should have said if they didn't want it uploaded.

Michaelaka 1/2 of

Team Blitz

Ok, we've found it, now where did we put the car?

With lots and lots and lots of thanks to Gary Player (Gary and Jane), permission has been sought AND given to allow you to download the avi file Gary very kindly prepared for us.

To download the file, see the link on our Geocache webpage at:

http://www.teamtate.co.uk/geocache

Right-click on the link and you can have your own copy. The file size is 2.07 Mbytes. You can work out how long it can take to download.

Watch out for the error - they bu**ers got my name wrong! Oh well...

Team Tate hope you enjoy the feature, and we hope that we did a good enough job promoting the hobby we all love.

Team Tate

quote:
Originally posted by Team Tate:

With lots and lots and lots of thanks to Gary Player (Gary and Jane), permission has been sought AND given to allow you to download the avi file Gary very kindly prepared for us.

Thanks for the vid, am downloading it now,

The first time I've seen it.

Personally, the more Geocaching is advertised the better. I can;t see GC becoming a mainstream sport, but it is good fun for us saddo's who enjoy hiking and gadgets. But, that said, I welcome more cachers to my cache and love the competition to beat cahcers to new ones.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

Have just watched it. Much happier than the Newsnight production showing at the same time. Jesus... A year since Spt 11

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

Have just watched it. Much happier than the Newsnight production showing at the same time. Jesus... A year since Sept 11 and I'm still crying. I can't see no sense.

------

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

Just downloaded and viewed. A surprisingly good report. Well done to "family" Tate for presenting the sport (?) in the right way.

Let's hope we get a few more active cachers from it. I'd be interested to know if there's anyone who got into caching as a result of seeing the original programme.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.