UK Geocaching Waypoints needs new home

Hi. My contract here in the UK has come to a close so we will be moving back to Australia. Therefore I'm looking for someone to take over the UK waypoints hosting at http://www.roblisa.com/geocache . Basically it would involve running a perl script every few days/week and then uploading the files to the web site. The custom cache and summary features would also require perl cgi access on the server. Some knowledge of perl would probably be advantageous if geocaching.com changes their format or new features are needed.

Any takers? I was thinking the new http://www.geocacheuk.com/ site might be a suitable spot for it.

Cheers,

Rob.

Ok, 10 metres. It's somewhere around here...

Hi there I would be more than willing to run the perl scripts on the site. I dont have much expereance with perl as I use ASP. I do have full access to the server and can run perl scripts. If you would be will ing to give me a little help getting it setup and a bit of advice I am sure I can host it. I am at the moment trying to get some other people involved in the site hopefully one of them might have more perl expereance than me.

Let me know what you think.

Regards Mark

(TheCat)

Oh no! We're going to miss you both. Hope you enjoy being back in Oz.

Good on yer jeremyp and/or Mark! I hope you can take on these tools as I'm starting to rely on them more and more. I'd love to help but it all sounds a bit beyond my meagre knowledge.

I'd just like to register my profound thanks to Rob for all his hard work supporting us UK cachers up till now.

Peter

Hi just a quick note The UK stats page is now available on http://www.geocacheuk.com just go to the site and click on the button UK Stats.

Enjoy.

Many thanks to Rob & Lisa for the help thay have given in getting it transfered. Also thanks to Jeremyp who has agreed to maintain the perl script etc.

Mark

(TheCat)

P.S if you can think of anything you want to see on the site please let us know the site is free to use and always will be.

Hi Mark,

Is there any chance of adding the two additional features to the stats page that Rob & Lisa had (the custom file creation and summary pages thingy)? These are really useful.

Thanks

(EDITED - I just reread the thread properly - I see these need the Perl scripts that jeremyp has ageed to maintain. Please ignore this post!)

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

Actually I'm maintaining *all* the scripts. The reason the custom stuff isn't available yet is because the cgi will need some minor changes to make it work in the new location and I just haven't got around to doing it yet.

Unfortunately, Mark is away for the weekend so they probably will not get posted to his web site until afterwards. However, if there is demand I'll try and get them on my own web site *temporarily* until the official version is up.

BTW: if anybody has any suggestions for new features, you can mail them to me or the address on the UK stats page.

BTBTW: A big thanks to Rob and Lisa for all the work they have done on this. I'm sure everybody agrees that their page is one of the most useful private geocaching pages there is, especially the bits I haven't got working yet icon_frown.gif

Thank you for your patience, normal service will be resumed shortly icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Actually I'm maintaining *all* the scripts. The reason the custom stuff isn't available yet is because the cgi will need some minor changes to make it work in the new location and I just haven't got around to doing it yet.

Unfortunately, Mark is away for the weekend so they probably will not get posted to his web site until afterwards. However, if there is demand I'll try and get them on my own web site *temporarily* until the official version is up.

BTW: if anybody has any suggestions for new features, you can mail them to me or the address on the UK stats page.

BTBTW: A big thanks to Rob and Lisa for all the work they have done on this. I'm sure everybody agrees that their page is one of the most useful private geocaching pages there is, especially the bits I haven't got working yet icon_frown.gif

Thank you for your patience, normal service will be resumed shortly icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Tophat wrote - I'm off to the States in a couple of weeks, does anybody know if there is a waypoint download site for caches over there - like Rob & Lisa's?

I’m off soon as well. Does anyone have any experience of Streets And Trips which is the equivalent of Autoroute, that combined with a CSV file for the caches would be great. Anyone have a copy of Streets And Trips for Sale?

Dave

The process by which the scripts are able to pull in geocaching data will work for any country. Certainly Rob did a French version for the 108 caches over there for me, and one of the 64 in Denmark for his own holiday. (We both used to work for the same IT company before they put us both out of a job.)

The main obstacle would be the numbers of US caches compared to our own total. According to Buxley's stats we have 958 caches in the UK, the USA has 20,065, so a waypoint file in the same line as our UK ones would probably be rather difficult to handle!

Suffice to say that with only 678 caches I'm expecting to find a nice web page of Australian geocaches and stats turning up very soon. icon_biggrin.gif

Richard

The process by which the scripts are able to pull in geocaching data will work for any country. Certainly Rob did a French version for the 108 caches over there for me, and one of the 64 in Denmark for his own holiday. (We both used to work for the same IT company before they put us both out of a job.)

The main obstacle would be the numbers of US caches compared to our own total. According to Buxley's stats we have 958 caches in the UK, the USA has 20,065, so a waypoint file in the same line as our UK ones would probably be rather difficult to handle!

Suffice to say that with only 678 caches I'm expecting to find a nice web page of Australian geocaches and stats turning up very soon. icon_biggrin.gif

Richard

Way back in February Phredd nominated me as Geocacher of the Year 2002 for hunting down a cache where the hider had lost the coordinates.

I think the title is far more merited by Rob and Lisa for their oh so valuable work in publishing the coordinates. Many thanks to them and to Mark and JeremyP for carrying on.

As Richard & Beth suggested, I am going to change the site to Australian waypoints. The problem there is lack of maps. There's no equivalent to streetmap.co.uk or AutoRoute Express and not even a MapSource Metroguide yet (there is something called CityNavigator but it is excessively expensive and aimed at the StreetPilot). The most popular thing seems to be OziExplorer with the AUSLIG 1:250,000 scale topo maps so I guess I'll add that as a format.

Ok, 10 metres. It's somewhere around here...