Promotion for the Winchester HCC Cache bash

I'm sitting here in Basingstoke, which these days is easily the 2nd largest town in Hampshire. I've been reading the local papers, listening to local radio, etc, and I've not seen or heard any promotion whatsoever to entice the muggles to the event...

So, can I ask what exactly is being done to promote the event outside of the geocaching community ?... Perhaps there has been some and I've just missed it, but I've been actively watching out for some kind of local promotion.

I can envisage 50 or so 'helper' and 5 muggles turning up on the day icon_eek.gif

Steve

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

apparently it is being pushed through schools and colleges and youth clubs and suchlike organisations that are in contact with HCC or that come under their remit. (maybe the likes of scouts and guides too maybe..)

In other words HCC are using their own, more direct channels rather than mainstream media, since we have had so much controversy over using the media before.

Thats what I was told, but I can't recall who told me it.

Furthermore, if you think about it, ask yourself where you would put such publicity..

- The local press? Nope. The event is still three weeks away, and so any advert put in the paper today would be in the bin by the time we got to 19th. Far better to put something in the paper that has all the events for that weekend, which if it was here in Milton Keynes, would mean the thursday before.

- Local radio? Nope. The BBC community-type announcements in their whats-on features invariably only run to a week ahead of the date. If you put things on the radio *now* they will be forgotten in three weeks. Like the papers, better to have something mentioned on the thursday or friday programmes, while peopel listening are planning their weekend ahead.

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

[This message was edited by MCL on July 01, 2003 at 05:01 PM.]

I am a teacher in a Hampshire school, and have asked my Headteacher several times if he has received any information about the day, if he has it is lost in a sea of other memos.

I was also at a big Scout gathering last weekend and nothing was mentioned there.

Having said that I am sure there will be lots of out doors loving peeps in the area on the day who will wander over to see what it is all about.

(Posted by Vikki)

This message may have been posted by Hydroman or his wife. If it is pedantic it is the former!!

In this thread, The Bramblers said:

quote:
The event will be promoted through the press, radio and TV. Schools publications will also be promoting it.

We will be releasing three travel bugs for schools to track, hopefully around the world.

There will also be other attractions that we are in the process of negotiating at present.

And this page links to two recent radio interviews (discussed in this thread, one of which is all about the HCC event.

What's your favourite thing?