Edinburgh Geocachers say hi!

Hello there, I just ordered myself a garmin gpsmap 76s, and as I'm living in Edinburgh I thought I'd try a bit of geocaching. I see there's a bit of activity in Edinburgh, so I wanted the opportunity to introduce myself to any locals out there.

I'm an Ed. Uni student, You'll see me hanging out in the JCMB cafeteria from time to time.

I look forward to caching with you in the near future.

The cacheist regime will prevail. long live the GPS.

"yay! a GPS; I can now find my arse without an atlas"

Welcome to the hobby.

The Garmin 76S (used mainly by sailors/pilots) has a vertical internal antenna so be sure to hold it vertically when you are close to a cache as this will significantly improve accuracy. icon_wink.gif

Cheers!

Seasider

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction!

Cheers for the advice on the 76s-

I was going to get an eTrex vista, but had heard it's antenna was pretty weak. The 76s had pretty much the same feature set, but had an external antenna connector. My point of view was that I'd be better off getting one I can add a more powerful antenna to should I need it.

The eTrex is more than adequate for geocaching. I had both an eTrex vista & Magellan Merdian (which is meant to be better for reception) at one stage and saw no meaningful difference under trees or in town.

With a vertical antenna (no matter how good the signal is) it gives a 3 times greater locational error if held horizontally (ie say 75ft instead of 25ft) - no problem for navigating - but it does make a difference for this game.

Having said that the 76s is a great bit of kit so enjoy! icon_smile.gif

Cheers!

Seasider

Well, as one of the Edinburgh geocachers, let me just say WELCOME!

There are a fair few good caches in and around town to do, plus some nice ones just outside. But the place is by no means crowded. So do a few, get the hang of it, and feel free to hide some of your own!

If you find yourself stuck in any way, I'd be glad to answer anything you come up with. Email me through the site if you need to. You'll find the other Edinburgh cachers pretty friendly, but we don't always hang out in the forums enough to answer questions posted here.

Again, welcome!

evilrooster

http://www.bookweb.sunpig.com

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

Great to hear from you! I look forward to placing a few caches of my own for you to find; I've done a fair bit of exploring in edinburgh without the GPS, so I'll have fun now I've got one. With any luck it'll arrive tomorrow, in time for me to find a cache or two on saturday.

Thanks for the friendly welcome, Happy caching!

Not yet icon_frown.gif It's coming by royal mail, so I guess I should have expected it to be a day or two late. Oh well, I might just hunt the local caches by old fashioned map and compass this weekend if it's still a no-show tomorrow.

Depending on the clue, some caches are possible to find without a GPS. I did about 20 of them before I bought one. I can recommend 'Billy Goat's Gruff' and 'Path to Arthur's Seat' as being Ok to do without a GPS. Also in the Pentlands, 'A hike in the Pentlands' and 'It hot and windy here' are good walks and provide good enough clues. Happy geocaching.

I'm actually surprised I've never found a geocache by accident- esp. the Arthur's seat one(s). I've been all over that hill, in various weather conditions, and as is the case with most students in Edinburgh, various states of inebriation :D

It's funny to see how many caches have been placed in places I've been; I spent the first 19yrs of my life living below the cavehill park in Belfast, and that area is littered with caches.

quote:
Originally posted by cacheistregime:

GPS arrived today (yay!) I'm going to do the "path to arthur's seat 2" immediately, wish me luck!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Congrats on finding your first cache! icon_smile.gif

Seasider

Hello,

My name is Barry Gordon, I'm a freelance feature writer for Scotland on Sunday. I'm going to be writing up a piece on Geocaching soon and I'm appealing to Scottish cachers (particularly in the Lothians) to help me with my feature: either as an interviewee or someone I can go caching with.

You can contact me at: flynns77@hotmail.com

Leave me your details and I shall buzz you back.

Kind Regards,

Barry