Most caches in a county

I have started wondering where the uk caching hotspots are as I seriously need to visit one (I am stuck on 170 caches and have hit pharisee's so called 'wall') I know simply because of my website that bucks has 74 caches at present, 3 of which are archived so 71 really. Are there any countys with more caches? if so where are they!?! any replies stating places in foreign countries will not be classed as either big or clever icon_wink.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk - Stash Notes, forums & Much more...

WOW, i never knew you could do county searches on the stats pages, 146 in hampshire thats crazy! and iI was starting to worry the Bucks was getting a bit cramped for space. I think we will be paying another visit sometime soon icon_smile.gif as for london, I try to avoid it as it makes me all claustraphobic, I'm a country boy at heart ya know icon_wink.gif

this has caused me a problem now, the bucks search says there are 74 caches in Bucks, all very well I think, but there are atleast 5 caches which I would never class as bucks caches and this also means atleast 5 I have down as Bucks caches are apparently not. Either me or the stas engine is mistaken! darn it icon_wink.gif

never mind, i have sort of realised that the stats page goes by an entire place and doesn't account for different parts of places. There are some quite blatently in herts that appear on the list so never mind. - Not a dig at the stats page by the way icon_smile.gif

Hmm! Maybe the stats page is having a wobbly moment.

Just did a check on Lancashire and Yorkshire and it lists one of my caches 'Lock,Stock & Hodder' as being near Carnforth in North Yorkshire.

Carnforth is 15-20 miles from the cache near Morecambe Bay and the locals will be spitting feathers to see themselves described as Yorkies!

Rest seem ok though - wonder why the map thinks Carnforth is in Yorkshire?

Seasider

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction!

It's a combination of problems...

First off, the counties are (deliberately!) the pre-1995 versions, so none of this unitary authority nonsense!

The problem with the "Lock, Stock" cache is that my program to determine counties (a bit of a cludge involving an accurately coloured-in version of the map on the OS site) hasn't been running automatically icon_frown.gif I've just run it manually and will get it scheduled to run every time the database is updated. Thanks for the heads-up!

There are a few caches which are confusingly named (eg this one is in Bucks, not Herts), but that doesn't explain why this one is listed in Bucks as it's definitely in Herts! Guess I've got a bit of debugging to do... icon_frown.gif (Though this cache is less than a mile from the county border so I may have to do these manually if my source map is not accurate enough)

(Edited so that both examples were by the same cacher to avoid embarassment!) icon_wink.gif

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

[This message was edited by Teasel on July 27, 2003 at 12:36 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Wilson:

never mind, i have sort of realised that the stats page goes by an entire place and doesn't account for different parts of places.

It used to, yes, and it still falls back to that method for new caches if all else fails (eg the problem with Seasider's cache).

However, I've recently changed things to get the county off this map (438KB png file). The cache is plotted onto this map and the colour tells me what county it's in. There's room for improvement, as the county borders are quite thick (eg the problem with Hornet's cache), but it's better than the old method which used to work on an incomplete and inaccurate postcode database.

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.