New UK Moderator (?)

Yes I'm still here icon_wink.gif

I placed a new cache on Friday and saw this morning it had just been approved. I guessed our normal Approver, Moss Tooper, was busy at the Northern Cache Bash so I was interested to see who had 'done the business'. I didn't recognise the name so I checked his/her profile and found:

Profile for Eckington

Premium Member since June, 2003

Email this user

Alternate email: eckingtons31@btNOSPAMopenworld.com

Caches Found/Hidden: 0/0

Travel Bugs Owned/Found: 0/0

Benchmarks Found: 0

Seems we have a brand new cacher/moderator in the UK.

Enthusiastic user of GeocacheUK - Information, not control.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

Hmmmm?

Democracy in action?

Used to be, a profile like that lead to accusations of being a troll. NOT that I'm accusing or even suggesting it.

Experience in the ways of geocaching would be an advantage

OR

Perhaps the name has been changed to protect the innocent under the new Geocaching Moderator Protection Scheme?

I feel a new conspiracy theory brewing!

Is it really Elvis?

Is it the Fourth/fifth man?

Is it an alien keen to infiltrate our society?

Your guess is as good as mine

042502_2217_1578_prv.gif It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hi Cachers,

It is an alias, suggested by a lovely lady in american admin, and gratefully grabbed hold of!

I am a regular type cacher who wants to keep it that way!!!

I have found over 150 caches in the last year and planted a few also.

I am doing my tiny best to ensure all your beautifully thought out and set caches are approved as quickly as possible.

Cheers All,

Eckington

PS Axlinian play therapy is a form of non-directive counselling that has been shown to help younger clients come to terms with traumas in their lives.

quote:
Originally posted by Eckington:

I am doing my tiny best to ensure all your beautifully thought out and set caches are approved as quickly as possible.

One of my caches was approved this afternoon in less than 5 minutes. You'll do for me icon_smile.gif

Waspie.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr & Mrs Hedgehog:

so how do you become a moderator of caches?

I wuz kinda wondering that me own self.

Are ' UK forum moderators' and 'UK cache approvers' always they same people?

Umm... I've not worded that very well... I'll try again icon_smile.gif

If you're a Forum Moderator are you automatically a Cache Approver (or vice versa) ?

What I'm sort of getting at in my usual round-a-bout way ... Is Eckington a forum moderator now as well as a cache approver? and who approved him (or her?) for the job?

I'm not having a gripe... just curious icon_biggrin.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Are ' UK forum moderators' and 'UK cache approvers' always they same people?

Umm... I've not worded that very well... I'll try again icon_smile.gif

If you're a Forum Moderator are you automatically a Cache Approver (or vice versa) ?

No. I was a forum moderator for a long time before I started approving caches.

Richard

quote:

I've just noticed we've got a new moderator for our UK caches and I was wondering the same thing myself.

I seem to recall it being said that Tim & June became moderators as the result of a poll among UK members. Although I've been away for a while on business I've had a look through the forum and can't see any reference to a poll for Eckington.

Perhaps he/she/they can let us know how they became super beings. Were any other regular cachers also approached and offered the job?

quote:
Originally posted by piggly:

quote:

Perhaps he/she/they can let us know how they became super beings. Were any other regular cachers also approached and offered the job?

Probably was given the Job By the site owners,

Does it matter?

lets not start upsetting the new approver before they have even had a chance to settle in . just be grateful and leave it at that.

Nige

The Northumbrian is a member of The Geocaching Association of Great Britain

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

He probably beat all comers at tiddly-winks, eh Northumbrian icon_wink.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

They could be the Southern championship winners.

I Heard a wisper that it may be Julie Felix icon_rolleyes.gif

Nige

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

lets not start upsetting the new approver before they have even had a chance to settle in . just be grateful and leave it at that.

Nige

I'm grateful and wasn't having a go, don't know why you thought that. Just that Mrs H. and I think that being an approver would be fun and wouldn't mind doing it. So just wondering on how you become one. That's all...

Any message is from Mr Hedgehog.

Hi Guys,

I'll try to answer some of the Q's.

At the moment I am simply a cache approver, the thrill of being a forum moderator is still to come icon_wink.gif.......and probably soon icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

I didn't have to sit any exams, but Moss gave me an intensive course in what was required, and then got me to approve some caches, with his supervision. He was very supportive and I learned an awful lot about guidelines and applying them in a positive way.

So far I have approved some, and refused approval to others that were breaking the guidelines as I interpreted them. These I e-mailed amnd explained my reasons, and in every case but one they have replied to me in a very positive fasion and I have been either able to approve their caches, or in one case keep a cache on hold to give the setter the chance to go away on holiday and fix it when he returns.

There is only one cache at the moment (though I haven't been in to look at the to be approved list this evening yet) that I may have to archive because the setter hasn't responded to my latest e-mail.

As to how I got the job, well, I would rather not explain all the ins and outs as I would like to maintian my anonimity at the moment, though I have a jolly good idea, from the emails I have recieved (and all of these were positive, many thanks to those of you that have posted) that there are several of you out there who know who I am icon_biggrin.gif

I hope this little helps, if any of you want to chat more don't hesitate to email me through my profile.

Till then take care all

ps I think I'll tale Lance Ambus advice icon_cool.gif

Absolutely no criticism of Eckington intended. It's good to have another UK approver on board. I really can't see how my original query could be interpreted as a criticism.

I still wonder at the mechanics of the process of becoming an approver (no I don't want the job, I'd rather it be undertaken by much more experienced cachers than me icon_wink.gif) Are there plans for any more?

quote:
Originally posted by piggly:

Absolutely no criticism of Eckington intended. It's good to have another UK approver on board. I really can't see how my original query could be interpreted as a criticism.

?

I have read back through my replies and I cant find the word CRITICISM in anything that I wrote.

What I was replying to was your Last paragraph, Superbeing bit , That interprets as

"God". so I saw it exactly that

and a bit of the first, The voting bit.

No offence intended here piggly,it's just my reply icon_smile.gif

Nige

I'm grateful and wasn't having a go, don't know why you thought that.QUOTE]

Sorry Mr& Mrs Hedgehog, I wasn't getting at any thing you said, and you were not having a go. When I replied , part of your original message was on the reply from Piggly and I must have not deleted all of it before the Quote. Humble apologies, icon_smile.gif

Nige

quote:
there are several of you out there who know who I am

I hate that!

I'm not one of them & it's driving me mental!!

I have an idea but the 150 caches bit doesn't tie up.

I'm trying to work out the clues that Pharisee & The Northumbrian are dropping but I obviously don't know folks well enough!

Argghhh! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

We take our children everywhere, but they always find their way back home...

The Bennett Family Webspace

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Ambu:

Originally posted by Eckington:

Hi Cachers,

It is an alias, suggested by a _lovely lady_ in american admin,

Ahhh!

Gone, but not frogotten.

I am not gone, I pop in every now and then icon_rolleyes.gif

Welcome to our wonderful new approver Eckington.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

quote:
Originally posted by hydee:

I am not gone, I pop in every now and then icon_rolleyes.gif

Welcome to our wonderful new approver Eckington.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

Of course your not gone, But what about the typo? Shouldn't that be "I hop in every now and then"

And Good wishes to Eckington and I'm only slightly envious that Hydee chose you instead of mee icon_smile.gif

042502_2217_1578_prv.gif It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Just noticed this myself - I know moss was talking about Eckington last week so it is good to have you aboard.

I can't believe the forum missed out on the opportunity of a good flame war about your appointment though - perhaps sanity is starting to break out icon_wink.gif

Anyway - hope you enjoy your new chair.

Chris

If only life had an undo button....

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
Originally posted by Chris n Maria:

Just noticed this myself - I know moss was talking about Eckington last week so it is good to have you aboard.

I can't believe the forum missed out on the opportunity of a good flame war about your appointment though - perhaps sanity is starting to break out icon_wink.gif

.....Hey I love your caches, don't encourage them icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anyway - hope you enjoy your new chair.

Chris

If only life had an undo button....

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

I know this seems to have sparked a good deal of curiousity but here's my opinion:

The thing is we now have an approver who can protect their Geocaching Team identity in case there are bad feelings down the line. Lets face it if you get a cache rejected it is not the best feeling in the world. If you have an issue with the decisions of an anonymous cache approver you still have recourse the GC.com in the US. This approach saves the cachers team name being associated with cache approvals and any bad feelings from refused caches.

dadgum good idea (In my opinion).

Thanks

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

quote:
The thing is we now have an approver who can protect their Geocaching Team identity in case there are bad feelings down the line. Lets face it if you get a cache rejected it is not the best feeling in the world. If you have an issue with the decisions of an anonymous cache approver you still have recourse the GC.com in the US. This approach saves the cachers team name being associated with cache approvals and any bad feelings from refused caches.

dadgum good idea (In my opinion).

Sure... we'll never reveal his identity... and we know he's one of us good guys so if we ever get rejected we'll know it was a fair call. Keep up the great woerk Eckington!!!!