How many caches can your mind hold?

Pooter

I was mentally going through all the caches that I have found (sad old git) and still reckon that I could find my way back to every one of them with no navigational aids at all. Could you high scorers out there tell me at what point this ability leaves you. Is there a limit to the human brain's capacity for geocaches?

I once went back to a cache we had hidden a few days before, without the GPSr and I could not find it.

However assuming the GPSr takes me close i think i would remember all 120 caches.

This is strange because if i walk from one room to another to get something, I often forget what i want by the time i get there.

Some thimgs you never forget: ie words to a song that you have not heard for 20 years. Cache locations are like this.

I just picked 1 year old cache at random, and i can picture the location and the type of box.

Memory is WEIRD

Tech-no notice

I couldn't necessarily recount exact details of a sepcific cache (or maybe I could , thinking about it), but if a GPSr got me to within 100 metres or so (or even the parking spot) I reckon I could pretty much find them all again.

Having said that, I went out to "Bartlow Hills" in the dark a few weeks back with Wronskian, but failed to find it. Last time I'd been there, it was sumemr foliage and daylight, and the combination of darkness and winter foliage completely threw me.

But yeah, actually, having thought about it, I reckon I can remember how to get to nearly every single cache. Of course some of them blend into each other, but it'd all come flooding back once I was there.

That's after 120 caches....

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

I just went through my found list, and of the 120 I've thus far found:

About 110 I could remember from the name, remembering the cache site and the immediate area (i.e. the last 100 metres of getting there).

About 10 I needed to look at logs or hints or cache descriptions to remmebr the site - this was especially true for days where I'd done several similar caches, or where the cache name has little relevance to the cache location, such as "My first stash" or "NIMRAG001".

Only 1 I can't remember the cache site at all. It fades into a memory of another, and the cache desctiption is sufficiently sparse to not give any clues away.

Still, 119 remembered from 120 isn't bad. I was surprised how many I can remember from the cache name alone...scary stuff.

I now reckon I could do about 100 of the caches again if you drove me to the same place I parked.

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

I've just done a quick survey of our 250 caches and I recon i could tell you were the cache was for about 65% of them from the name alone. The rest involved a quick read of the cache page to remeber which cache we are talking about and I can visualise it's location. So far I have only managed to find 1 that i have no memory of.

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

of the 106 i have found i can remember every 1. I can even remember the few hunts which have been unsucessful!

I just hold this information and start writing about caches when i should be doing exam papers etc!

I dont think i can relate a cache hunt to my law coursework icon_frown.gif

I can remember the location of every single one of the 65 I have done, with no trouble at all.

For the last 20 or so I have been taking a photo of the exact hiding place of each cache I visit and storing them in a retrievable form (ie sensibly labelled) so I could, if needed, call up the pic for any given cache. However, as I say, as yet I have no realn *need* for this, but who knows, one day when I reach 1000, I might be gladf of the pictures to jog my ailing memory..

For completness sake I *might* go back and get snmaps of all the early ones but I don;t list this as a priority.

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....