MAJOR bug in EasyGPS

Huga

I just posted this to GPS Units and Software, but thought I'd let you all know...

(This is all about EasyGPS, not EasyMPS)

===============================================

If you create another entry for the right-click context menu that pops up in Windows explorer, so you could, say, open a .loc file in Notepad, EasyGPS will remove the menu entry when you run it!

Try this: In Windows Explorer, go to the tools menu, then folder options, then the file types tab, then find .loc (or .gpx) and add an association to it (Click New.., type "Open in Notepad" in the action box and c:windowsnotepad.exe "%1" in the Application used to perform... box.

Go back to explorer, right click a file, and note you can open it in notepad.

Now double-click the file to open it in EasyGPS.

Go back to explorer, right-click the file, and the Notepad entry has been removed!

It gets entirely wiped from the registry!

I have sent a bug report to the EasyGPS team.

=============================================

This is really annoying, as EasyMPS (MPS, not GPS) now creates a menu entry for .locs and .gpxs to open them in Mapsource, but running EasyGPS removes the entries. Grrrrr.

(EasyMPS only creates the entries if you ask it to. It's not rude like EasyGPS...)

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

Very antisocial.

There might be a workaround:

Somewhere buried in your profile is a "send to" folder. If you put a short cut in there to easymps, then easymps will appear in the "send to" menu for every file.

Whenever I get a new Windows system, the first thing I do is put wordpad in the "send to" menu.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Whenever I get a new Windows system, the first thing I do is put wordpad in the "send to" menu.

That's a very good tip - I always do that, although I picked Notepad instead of Wordpad for a couple of reasons. Recommended to all - do it now! icon_wink.gif

As for EasyGPS, a clumsy-but-functional workaround would be to change all your shortcuts to a batch file that runs EasyGPS and then silently runs something to check the menu associations and restore them if necessary. I could code that up if people would find it useful (although I might volunteer Huga for the task seeing as he's in the coding mood!)

Sam

--

Seek and ye shall find (tupperware, ammo boxes, bears, free ISP CDs...)

quote:
Originally posted by Wronskian:

I picked Notepad instead of Wordpad for a couple of reasons.

Obviously, use your preferred text editor. I only chose wordpad because it could deal with files larger than 32Kb and because it could deal with Unix files (different line terminator).

quote:

As for EasyGPS, a clumsy-but-functional workaround would be to change all your shortcuts to a batch file that runs EasyGPS and then silently runs something to check the menu associations and restore them if necessary. I could code that up if people would find it useful (although I might volunteer Huga for the task seeing as he's in the coding mood!)

Another good work around.

I think it would be better to get the folks at easygps to fix their product.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching