A strange thing happened!

A week ago I was avidly reading every new post as it came in. Opinions were being thrashed around (mine included), tempers were fraying (mine included), good people were being forced into unfortunate actions.

A strange thinge happened to me last week. I went abroad for a bit of sun and golf. I left my computer at home. I even left my GPS at home ("sacrilege" I hear). Do you know what happened? The sun rose every day. Everyone I saw went on with their lives. They even looked happy. Not once was geocaching, GAGB, G:UK, HCC, RL or any of the REALLY important things in life ever mentioned!

How could this be?

A week has passed and there have been far too many postings for me to be bothered to catch up with. From skimming them I get the impression that "organised" geocaching in the UK has collapsed. Even more good people have been forced away.

An offshoot of geocaching seems to have started by one or two people that I've never come across before. I would best describe it as "neotrashing" - new to the sport, trash others' opinions rather than discuss them, but most importantly don't whatever you do go outside and find a single geocache.

Could someone please post a summary of where things stand today because from what little I've seen I really can't be bothered to wade through pages of what now looks like irellevant waffle.

I made a decision a couple of months ago that I would stop contributing to the forums. Unfortunately I went back on that decision only to get embroiled in all sorts of c**p.

After a week away in the sun I realise I should have stuck to my original decision. So bye bye to forums, from now on it's GPS, mud, nettles and tupperware only for me.

Oh, yes. I WILL be attending the odd "event" so if you want a beer/chat/moan I'll see you there.

Enthusiastic user of GeocacheUK - Information, not control.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

<snip>

A week has passed and there have been far too many postings for me to be bothered to catch up with. From skimming them I get the impression that "organised" geocaching in the UK has collapsed. Even more good people have been forced away.

It would appear that the dust is settling nicely: caches are still being approved, fora are being moderated (Moss Trooper hath returnethed) and, above all, cachers are still finding caches.

quote:

Could someone please post a summary of where things stand today because from what little I've seen I really can't be bothered to wade through pages of what now looks like irellevant waffle.

Fair comment. To read through all the posts after your holiday would be as daunting a task as attempting to read War and Peace. I think the latter would also make lighter reading.

quote:

I made a decision a couple of months ago that I would stop contributing to the forums. Unfortunately I went back on that decision only to get embroiled in all sorts of c**p.

After a week away in the sun I realise I should have stuck to my original decision. So bye bye to forums, from now on it's GPS, mud, nettles and tupperware only for me.

Again, fair comment. I mean, that is what we're all into this hobby for isn't it?

quote:

Oh, yes. I WILL be attending the odd "event" so if you want a beer/chat/moan I'll see you there.

Hope to see you at the HCC bash, Hornet! No moaning from the Omally camp though, promise!! icon_biggrin.gif

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

What Trolls?

A short summary of what has been going on.

quote:

The above probably means you won't be reading this, but here goes anyway:

There was a big argument. Lots of people got the wrong end of some sticks. Lots of people got very upset. It's all died down a bit.

quote:

Enthusiastic user of http://www.geocacheuk.com - Information, not control.

Wrong end of a stick, I see icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.gagb.org.uk

Hi Hornet, welcome back from Spain.

A short update from the other end of the stick!

After much noise, which apparently is all from one end of the stick and not the other, several people threw their collective teddies out of the cot. We then had a twenty six mile pity party, I liked that term, along with many claims that the forum and the game were destroyed forever.

Caches continue to be found, the game goes on and really not much has changed in the big bad world of geocaching. The sky still hasn't fallen in as proclaimed by many.

Now we have many people being extra nice to each other and most forgetting that it takes two sides for an arguement.

Just my view from the OTHER end of the stick. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

quote:

Could someone please post a summary of where things stand today

Harmless. icon_razz.gif

Surely you mean "Mostly Harmless" ?! icon_wink.gif

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

What Trolls?