Ammo Boxes?

quote:
Originally posted by Faye & Brad:

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me a good place to buy ammo boxes, as the ones locally are almost £10 each!

Apart from these, what else makes a good, weatherproof geocache box?

Thanks in advance

Plastic sandwich boxes are OK, but may leak in extreme conditions (i.e. any rainy day).

Of course they are also highly toxic to the local wildlife and cause low sperm count icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

We have an underwater cache which is in an Ortlieb map case, held down with a plastic tent peg. It's fully waterproof, but a little expensive for routine use! (Actually, thinking about it, the polymer used in this particular cache probably does contain toxic plasticisers icon_biggrin.gif )

Well, I think Hornet has a few left...

But for commercial internet sites I have found

web site 1

web site 2

web site 3

web site 4

web site 5

web site 6

web site 7

..one of which Hornet's supply came from.

I can't vouch for any of these!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy.

----------------------------------------

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity - Albert Einstein

quote:
Originally posted by Motley Crew:

Here's a site I found with boxes on special offer at £1.99 and allegedly 'in stock'. They can be found under the 'Storage Boxes' category.

http://www.springfields.biz/

I see they've got some wooden ammo boxes too. Biodegradable ammo boxes...? Does anyone know what they're like - you can't tell much from the photos.

Bill

quote:

Here's a site I found with boxes on special offer at £1.99 and allegedly 'in stock'. They can be found under the 'Storage Boxes' category.

Like Andy I can't vouch for this firm.

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

Why did you post this with the "angry face" icon?

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:

Like Andy I can't vouch for this firm.

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

This firm also sells waterproof notepaper - useful for log books in those 'leaky' caches?

(look under 'Compasses, Map Cases and Accessories')

Cheers,

G.

quote:
Originally posted by Faye & Brad:

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me a good place to buy ammo boxes, as the ones locally are almost £10 each!

I bought a couple from Anchor Surplus (Nottingham Market Place and Ripon) and they have a large tent every year at the Elvaston Castle Radio Rally in the Summer every year.

They probably have a website as well. I'll see if I can find it.

I saw 3 sizes, large medium and small, the medium and small ones were well under a fiver and the large one was, in my opinion, too big for a normal cache, though you might decide to use one in a special place or for storage. The large ones were wooden, if I remember. Whilst the medium and small ones were the metal ones with water seals.

--... ...--

Morseman

The Springfields shop is very easy to find. Even without a GPS, it is in the shadow of the famous brewery and near to the railway station.

Ammo boxes are stored in a covered yard.

The £1.99 boxes are almost gone and are bigger than the H83 size. The H83 boxes are £2.50 and are in fair condition, no bad dents, some surface pitting/rust, but fully functional, about 200 left..The H82 boxes are in good condition and sell for £1.99,these are NOT on the website. (I'm not sure but I think this is the size that most cachers want, and they are a bit too small for toolboxes etc so they won't sell out so fast) and about 200 left.

A very good surplus and outdoor shop, all the stuff on the website is in the store (unlike a few places I could mention). Worth the trip and if you think of going I can heartily recommend the Harvester Pub/Restaurent next to the football stadium next to the A50 just off M6 junction 15.

To summarise: go now, buy a bootfull

The ammo boxes I've been trying (pretty successfully icon_smile.gif) to get rid of the past couple of months came from Anchor Supplies in Nottingham.

The look on the guy's face when he asked me how many I wanted and I replied '2 pallet loads' was a joy to behold! The Springfields offer of £1.99 sounds very good as I had to haggle a special bulk discount with Anchor to get the price I did.

Mine are almost all gone now (just 20 left) but if anyone in the South East still wants a few you know where to come icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

If you are ever thinking of placing a cache on Dartmoor, don't use an ammo box. These used to be the containers of choice for letterboxers, but now the Dartmoor rangers actively seek them out and remove them, possibly because of the use of the moor by the army and the potential for a box with live ammo to be left behind after firing exercises. I suppose the same applies to the Dorset coast and Salisbury Plain and any where else the army have free rein.