To Gunther

It seems to me that your only using this forum to stir up old and now new trouble, this rubbish about commercial caches has been gonre over before and many of us are sick of it. Having been looking at your posts and replies of late you do seem to only want to be on the forums to cause trouble among a group of people who only want to go out into the country to enjoy themselves finding caches.They come on to this forum to find idea's and get knowledge from other cachers, but read your posts and see that your not what they thought the geocaching forum was about , to name names two weeks ago the Icenians put a couple of new cachers near me right off the idea of Geocaching Just as thay were starting out, I now wish I hadn't mentioned to them to have a look at the forum. now your going to do the same thing to others. by looking at your cache stats your not exactly into the sport much . so why try to spoil it for others. The tiidlywinks club is always looking for new members, so there's an Idea for you to fill in your time instead of causing trouble on here.

best wishes and good luck in the future .

Nige

<olive branch>

From time to time we all make comments that "don't quite fit" but as long as you're here to enjoy caching then please stay. I'm sure you have valid contributions to make to the fora as have others. You are entitled to your opinion as are others. I see no harm in measured, calm and reasonable discussion. We can't all agree all of the time; if we did the world would be jolly boring ('scuse the oxymoron!) and there would be no point in anyone even bothering to say anything at all.

I might not agree with all you have to say, but I do agree with your right to say it.

</olive branch>

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

What Trolls?

quote:
Originally posted by Gunther:

OK then I resign,, Jeremy (Groundspeak boss man please remove my user id) bye bye

After all the "hot" posts and replies you decide to resign after this? I can't believe it!! C;mon - youre surely made of sterner stuff icon_smile.gif

Keep your "original" thougts coming.

<sig line censored!!!>

I have no doubt he will return under another name. His posts had an odd resemblance to another poster (?) who was 'driven' off. He joined about a year ago, a couple or three posts on another forum, then nothing anywhere until recently when almost every topic on the UK forum had a post from him, often with an antagonistic point of view. Obviously I can't know if it is the same person but the similarity is there.

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

This rubbish about commercial caches has been gone over before and many of us are sick of it.

I thought his topic was a reasonable one to discuss even if his idea is obviously stupid to the older hands. As I said in it, circumstances change, rules need to be re-examined regularly to make sure they haven't become stupid. If you're sick of a particular topic, you are free not to read it.

quote:

To name names two weeks ago the Icenians put a couple of new cachers near me right off the idea of Geocaching Just as thay were starting out,

Clarification please: if it was the Icenians that put people off caching, why aren't you telling them to go away?

quote:
I now wish I hadn't mentioned to them to have a look at the forum.

Well you see people care about geocaching. There are bound to be heated discussions. I'd never introduce anybody to the forums without some health warning.

quote:
Originally posted by Ben Pid:

hat marvellous news! see ya....

You've caused the second most trouble on these forums after RL so cut the guy some slack.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.gagb.org.uk

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

I thought his topic was a reasonable one to discuss even if his idea is obviously stupid to the older hands. As I said in it, circumstances change, rules need to be re-examined regularly to make sure they haven't become stupid. If you're sick of a particular topic, you are free not to read it. icon_smile.gif

quote:
As an old hand yourself Jeremy you know how much trouble was caused by the mention of commercial caches over the last couple of years.

there were a few nasty things said then , and its happening again just as the forums were starting to get quite freindly again , just look at the way gcuk was slagged off, when there was absolutly know need for it, to me that was an insult to a fellow who has not only gone out of his way to provide us with a very usefull siet at his own expence but also what the Cat did with his Fox hunt charity stint. I personnally aplaud the man.

Clarification please: if it was the Icenians that put people off caching, why aren't you telling them to go away?

quote:
I , They did say that they were staying off the furums , I never replied to the thread about starting the *** of geocaches as I was that disgusted by what was being said to a group of geocachers that were giving up a lot of time and putting in a tremendous effort all for the benefit of their fellow geocaches.

Had I replied to what was said by some , then it would have been very very nastle and to the point, I have always thought that if you want to give someone a message , then give it to them straight , without tring to curtail things.

Well you see people _care_ about geocaching. There are bound to be heated discussions. I'd never introduce anybody to the forums without some health warning.

that was not going to be a heated discussion , it was leading to where collin powell was probably needed to mediate

on top of all of that , why did Gunther not ask The site owners about the matter, after all they have the final word on how to run their site.

Then the matter of the *** of geocachers, this was not even given a chance , and most of us all know that this type of National body can only be good for the sport.

having said all that, I think that if Gunther had not been so negative to just about everthing about geocahing, then I would never have mentioned the tiddlywinks club, I never asked him to leave , that was his choice

all these people who have in the past thrown the dummy out of the pram, and said they were leaving the forum, they all seem to come back, so if someone says they are leaving , then let them.

the above statements are all open to sensible and friendly discussion

icon_smile.gif

Nige

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

You've caused the second most trouble on these forums after RL so cut the guy some slack.

-------

jeremyp

Actually Jeremy I think that the guy was a gal given that the first cache placed was in the name of two girls and was later changed to Gunther.

Not that it matters now, another person less to the sport caused by snipers.

I do feel however that the initial post on the commercial cache thread was done with prior knowledge and intended to stir up the pot a bit. Problem is, as usual we bit and retaliated instead of ignoring it to the bottom of the page. (I gave the first reply!)

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:
Originally posted by The Merman

Not that it matters now, another person less to the sport caused by snipers.

Could you expand a little on this comment?

not quite sure what you mean

Nige

I meant that every time someone make a contentious (sp?) post we all tend to jump aboard and gang up on them.

I personally think that Gunthers original post about commercial caching was designed to get people going, but there were some valid arguments for and against.

One of the reasons I don't normally get embroiled in heated posting is that if I feel that my viewpoint is totally right and another poster proves me wrong then my only choice is to take it like a man or fight back with venom, and that achieves nothing.

Some people cannot admit when they are wrong and will never be persuaded. Gunther was I think one of those.

If everyone who expresses a different view is hounded off the forums by sarcastic one liners and vitriolic comment, then we will be left with a place where all we do is congratulate centurians and discuss Mctoys in boxes.

To go forward with the sport we need open honest discussion without bitterness. I would never say to someones face some of the nasty comments I read on here. I also think that adding a smiley wink rarely covers up the initial tone of the post.

I personally don't think that what you said was so far over the top, and I was no way meaning you personally with my sniper remark, however the.."by looking at your cache stats your not exactly into the sport much . so why try to spoil it for others. The tiidlywinks club is always looking for new members, so there's an Idea for you to fill in your time instead of causing trouble on here." was at least one clean shot on target.

If my comment are unfounded, then I hope I am "Proved" wrong and not just insulted for holding this view.

Chris

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

[

If my comment are unfounded, then I hope I am "Proved" wrong and not just insulted for holding this view.

Chris

You coments arn't unfounded Chris, they are well thought out and meaningful. perhaps when people write a post they should do it without the nead to slag people off as the way Gcuk was ,

Of course, I include myself in that also. perhaps I did over-react, but of late I have seen so much trouble being caused about a sport which I got into and that I do enjoy, and when reading some of the posts it makes me feel that some are out to destroy what I get a great deal of pleasure from.

many thanks for your reply.

Nige