This is an outrage

This is an outrage.

We are completely new to the sport and we feel that we have been let down.

Even though others have done it before, we are still not allowed to place a

cache on our own land. We submitted the cache page over a week ago and we

recieved an e-mail stating that the cache in question is not suitable for

this sort of hobby. Reasons given included commercial aspects and public

access.

Come on UK geocachers, support us on this.

Phil and Liz

Hi. Welcome to the forums icon_wink.gif Firstly can I ask who turned down your cache? If it was a UK moderator they will have done it with best interests and have probably mistaken the cache's intentions. If it was someone from else where, see what a UK moderator thinks, thoughts have varied in the past over the likes of Pub names in cache descriptions etc. Where it seems fine to us, the US moderators had problems with this sort of thing. Secondly can you tell us a bit about it. If the cache is innocent then it will 90% be approved in the end. However it might be in your pubs beer garden for all we know icon_smile.gif No one is out to spoil your fun trust me. Happy caching, Dan. icon_eek.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk

Hi Liz & Phil,

As we explained in our email to you, we were concerned for cachers safety as it sounds like your dogs are, shall we say, less than well controlled.

There are potential access problems too.

However, we are willing to allow our peers to be the judge and will invite then to pass judgement here.

The cache is archived but click here to see the page.

There you go cachers, your honest opinions please.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Phil & Liz:

This is an outrage.

We are completely new to the sport and we feel that we have been let down.

Even though others have done it before, we are still not allowed to place a

cache on our own land. We submitted the cache page over a week ago and we

recieved an e-mail stating that the cache in question is not suitable for

this sort of hobby. Reasons given included commercial aspects and public

access.

Come on UK geocachers, support us on this.

Phil and Liz

Without knowing any of the details, it's difficult to 'blindly' give support, especially if it’s been rejected by our UK admin. A couple of questions do spring to mind though.

1) Why would you want to place a cache on your own land?

2) Is access to you land freely available to 'joe public'?

3) Do you have any commercial enterprise on your land that would, perhaps benefit from having the aforementioned ‘joe public’ traipsing across it?

John

EDIT>>> T & J snuk in there while I wuz typing... icon_smile.gif

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

After reading the page i'm asking the same questions as T&J. Are there dogs on locations and is there restricted access icon_confused.gif If not then I say yes to the cache, If the answers are yes then I can see the point icon_redface.gif I'm a little confused about this one, an explaination from the planters would do wonders icon_biggrin.giffrog.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk

I once worked with a Brit from Wolverhampton. He was quite sensitive about his birth date. We had seen it on various documents over the years as Mar 26, Mar 28, etc. We finally figured that today was the true date and that he must have been teased about it when he was a lad in the old country. I really don't think the queen and her spouse were in on the teasing. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi Phil & Liz,

I can understand Tim & June's concern about the dogs, but I can see how it could be turned to your advantage. Could you train your dogs to attack people who get close to the cache? Obviously you'd have to make it a 5 for difficulty. Alternatively you could train them to attack anyone holding a GPSr, whichever would be easiest.

Oh, and I'd remove the reference to the dogs from the cache page so it would be a surprise when you got there. I think this would make a fun twist.

SimonG.org - now with added blog!

OK, the game is well and truly up now.

This wind-up was the child of Michael Blitz who asked us for our help pulling it off, Thanks MIchael, shame it didn't last too long.

Apologies to Chris n Maria, who twigged almost immediately, quickly followed by Pharisee whose postings we deleted in an attempt to keep it going for a while. we have to say, these guys were quick. we have sent both of you a quick email of apology, hope you don't mind too much.

If we have upset anyone, sorry for that too.

Thanks to those who tried to perpetuate the game.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Wilson:

I just feel sorry for P.Howard who will have no doubt grabbed the coords and will be on location in 20mins wherever that is icon_wink.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! http://www.phillyjunglemassive.com/cru/djaa/badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - http://www.Buckscaching.co.uk

The coords are in the garden at "Aunt Betty's House".

By now "The Hornet" could be in the tower.

"Orf with his head" icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry Peter, just jokin.

Tim & June (Winchester)

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

The description should have included cache contents including sandwiches etc. And it failed to mention any near by ancient monuments.

</troll>

But we did say "the normal gold & silver trinkets"... we didn't want to make it TOO obvious!

I don't know if anyone tried any of the links on the page: if you click on the Multimap link, it shows you exactly where the cache is.

My initial location was calculated using streetmap, and when we plugged it into multimap, it showed as being in the middle of a lake, so had to move it a touch.

Other than the coords, almost all the rest of the work was done by Michael: well done! If you hadn't realised, the cache page isn't actually at gc.com....

The more astute of you may have spotted that Phil & Liz logged their first cache at the weekend too... I'll leave you to find that one: it seems I missed her by minutes when we were out caching on Sunday!!!

And its so good to see how many people have nothing better to do that get onto the forums so early in the morning!

Finally, thanks to T&J for being willing to have a laugh!

Paul

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

quote:

I just feel sorry for P.Howard who will have no doubt grabbed the coords and will be on location in 20mins wherever that is icon_wink.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?!

Sorry Peter, just jokin.

Tim & June (Winchester)

It's a shame noone took this cache seriously: we had also left 3 OBE's in the cache, along with a first-finder's knighthood icon_wink.gif

Maybe Tim & June might still like to swap the knighthood for one of their bears?

kind regards,

Auntie liz

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

quote:

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! http://www.phillyjunglemassive.com/cru/djaa/badgerslayer.gif

Sorry Peter, just jokin.

Tim & June (Winchester)

So there I was before first light, the Transit all fuelled up and off I go. Finally found myself at a large roundabout with a big erection on (the roundabout that is!). The GPS was pointing through a large gate which was closed. I rang the bell and a sleepy sounding voice (with a rather posh Greek accent answered) I explained that I was looking for one of my old ammo boxes and could I come in? As it has been decided this is a family game I won't repeat exactly what the homeowner said but the gist of it was to suggest I speak to one of the nice gentlemen nearby with Red coats and strange furry hats.

By this time the gates opened as a Rolls Royce swept by containing a slightly balding figure with large ears accompanied by a rather horsey middle aged lady in the back seat. They both seemed keen to get inside before the lady of the house saw them. I took my opportunity, revved up the Transit and followed them into the rather large gravel drive at the front of the house.

It was at this time I finally got to meet several of the gentlemen in Red coats and funny hats. I said that I was looking for an old ammo box which might contain a small furry teddy bear (like the one on the window sticker on my windscreen). I think they must have mis-heard me (possibly due to my face being embedded in the gravel with several size 13 boots on the back of my neck). As I understand it they were offering to give me a tour of another family residence on the banks of the Thames near Tower Bridge.

I explained that my hobby was walking in the country looking for small plastic lunch boxes full of naff toys from McDonalds. I also said I thought it unlikely that Tim & June would approve a cache in an ancient monument for fear of upsetting the Mod Ants. They said I was obviously completely mad and what was the point of that. They could understand if the boxes contained something nice to eat and maybe a bottle of a nice single malt, but harmless plastic toys?! Never.

Eventually a window at the top of the house opened and a grey haired lady in curlers shouted out "Oh for gawds sake let the idiot go as I'm trying to get some sleep!" The nice gentlemen seemed very eager to please this nice lady so off I went.

So here I am, a £40 fine from a gentleman called Ken a face full of gravel and no cache.

Am I missing something?

Is it me????

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

Hi Phil & Liz

We can only apologise about the 'Gentleman' caller in his transit van, it seems he was a little eager to get one of those OBE awards which is a little greedy as he has already been bestowed the G.O.G award by his fellow cachers. If only people would read the cache page properly obviously in his haste to be first he failed to see the 'password' that would have allowed him acces to the cache.

By way of an apology if you would like to join us next weekend at our meeting we feel sure the gentleman in question would be only to pleased to buy you both a pint of best bitter.

After careful consideration of your offer and not really wanting to trade down we have decided we quite like the idea of 'Sir Tim & Lady June' therefore we have to ask would you like the Bear sent by 'Royal Mail' as your car is bigger than most, would you like a larger sticker and perhaps a spare one for your coach.

Tim & June (Winchester)

The only issue I/we would have with this is if somebody was looking for this cache and their gps was a bit off what are the chances of them searching through a neighbour's garden for the cache, the lady of the house comes out to see what they are doing and they tell her to 'naff off'!

It's a great way of meeting fellow cachers but I wouldnt do it myself. If you are that new why dont you place a cache in a normal, and I use that word loosely, position to start off with. I must admit I wouldnt seek a cache if it appeared to be in somebodies house or private residence for the reason mentioned above and the dogs remark but as for disallowing it...I'm not sure. I would have to say leave it up to the seeker.

Nope. I sussed it straight away.

The problem is I only read the forum at the very end of the day (its about 1am now) so I missed all the fun earlier. But no. I have to say the moment I saw Phil and Liz as the new names, I was suspicious. (I'm just a very suspicious type, thats all...)Tim and June displayed uncharacteristic behaviour when they opened the thing up for comments. The the page not being located at GC.COM just clinched the deal I'm afraid.

Brilliant idea Mike, and nicely executed. Well done, and I wish I had thought of it!

Now, Michael, if you had only thought of putting one in a certain middle-east capital (currently undergoing some re-landscaping), you could then claim to have nicked the idea from President Hussein and we could have called you the Thief of Bad Gags...

<ducks>

[This message was edited by MCL on April 01, 2003 at 03:53 PM.]