Who will play Travel Bug Football?

SimonG

Over in the Travel bug football thread we're wondering where to position the goals, so we need some idea of how many people are likely to participate in different parts of the country.

During the game you'll be able to track the bug's position on its page, as well as in the running-commentary thread which will inevitably appear in this forum. Will you keep an eye on its position, and help it towards your team's goal if it comes near you?

On the other thread there was a suggestion of putting one of the goals in London. Can I put my vote in against that for the following reasons:

- there are a lot of cachers based South or South West of London. These cachers would have to travel a long way to participate (assuming the bug doesn't get way off track)

- there are a lot of caches in London, but very few physical caches.

- it's either difficult (by car) or expensive (by train) to get into London.

OK, the last two don't really count because they just mean "caches are a bit sparse and hard to get to" which you could probably say applies to all the caches in Scotland.

I would suggest a location further South for the goal say near the South coast or somewhere in the South West.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

It occured to me that somewhere in Dorset might be good, as there are plenty of different ways for the bug to get there, and yet the area is pretty easy to get to for much of the South. I think it might be better to avoid it being to near to the M3-M25-M40 axis as there are so many caches there play would slow right down.

Any nominations for a cache in Darzet?

Don't mention the mushrooms

Originally posted by Team Blitz:

I still stand by my idea of "The Walls - The final hurdle" beind the south goal

QUOTE]

Not sure a goal should be a multipart puzzler! It Might be a bit fustrating when you can't find the goal. This is why the rules I suggested rule out such caches.

How about GC3F1F, which is down near Swanage, Dorset. Nice each cache, great location, fairly easy to get to.

Stick one in Bucks and you have my vote.....Will someone else plase plant a cache in Bucks other than me and Dan we don't like stealing ALL the hotspots you know...Im sure all you Herts people can make the short drive down the A41 to plant us a cache icon_wink.gif

Pid

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan and Pid)

Stick one in Bucks and you have my vote.....Will someone else plase plant a cache in Bucks other than me and Dan we don't like stealing ALL the hotspots you know...Im sure all you Herts people can make the short drive down the A41 to plant us a cache icon_wink.gif

Pid

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan and Pid)

Anybody will to put the ball into play!

So, a quick recap on the game vital stats:

Evens home goal is Path To Arthurs Seat 2 (GC54AD)

Odds home goal is The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea (Dorset) (GC3F1F)

Ie evens want to get the bug to Swanage, odds want to get it to Edinburgh.

Kick off point is someplace in the middle ;-)

Game ends after the first goal.

I agree about the point of not using the real tag for the ball as it save confusion in event of the ball being lost. The ball ideally will have a note to the effect of 'I am not a real travel bug do not move me unless you are in the game'.

So who has got a spare bug and can drop it in a cache slightly north of the M62?

It doesn't affect me, but in working out the odds and evens, do we count spaces? I would guess yes, but we need to be clear on that.

Incidentally, it might be a good idea for someone on each team to design a team logo that players can optionally overlay on their avatar, so we can see who's on each side at a glance. Or maybe it's a stupid idea - most of my brain's asleep. I only stayed up this late to hear Dylan's interview. icon_smile.gif

If it still seems like a good idea in the morning, I'll come up with a logo for us evens.

It doesn't affect me, but in working out the odds and evens, do we count spaces? I would guess yes, but we need to be clear on that.

Incidentally, it might be a good idea for someone on each team to design a team logo that players can optionally overlay on their avatar, so we can see who's on each side at a glance. Or maybe it's a stupid idea - most of my brain's asleep. I only stayed up this late to hear Dylan's interview. icon_smile.gif

If it still seems like a good idea in the morning, I'll come up with a logo for us evens.

quote:
Originally posted by Icenians:

I thought we were working on day of birth? Have we moved on from this?

You may be right - as far as I can tell it was never settled. I prefer user name for two reasons:

1) Every time the bug moves, we can see immediately which side moved it

2) A lot of people work in twos. They can only log moves under a single name, but they might have different birthdays.

But enough debate - Dylan, which did you mean?

quote:
Originally posted by Pid:

We're talking about the Southern *goal* for the TB football. You only have two in a game of football so we cannot, unfortunately put one in Buckinghamshire. Well we could, but it'd be like having one goal in the middle of the pitch and half the players (judging by the poll) behind it.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Pid:

We're talking about the Southern *goal* for the TB football. You only have two in a game of football so we cannot, unfortunately put one in Buckinghamshire. Well we could, but it'd be like having one goal in the middle of the pitch and half the players (judging by the poll) behind it.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by dylanhayes:

Anybody will to put the ball into play!

So who has got a spare bug and can drop it in a cache slightly north of the M62?

I have spare bugs and am located as close to the M62 as anyone, I would think.

If this is OK, I can have the bug/ball placed within a couple of hours.

Alex.

Well, I was orginally thinking of birthdate as IMHO it is random as there may be patterns in usernames. I'm sure it's six of one half a doxen of the other, and future games can be different.

In event of a user name being shared between several people (family, couple etc) the birth date of the older person is used.

Now. Can the odd and even player form into teams and nominate team captains?

Kimrobin if you can place the bug (without the tag, but including a note to the effect it is a ball) someplace north of the M62, preferably in airly easy to find cache and log it.

Once I have the lists of players and I know the bug is in place we can start ideally tomorrow.

quote:
Originally posted by dylanhayes:

Well, I was orginally thinking of birthdate as IMHO it is random as there may be patterns in usernames. I'm sure it's six of one half a doxen of the other, and future games can be different.

In event of a user name being shared between several people (family, couple etc) the birth date of the older person is used.

Now. Can the odd and even player form into teams and nominate team captains?

Once I have the lists of players and I know the bug is in place we can start ideally tomorrow.

That makes us even, 26th. Who are the captains and where do we register our names as team members?

If the odds and evens would like to discuss amongst themselves who is in each team and who should be captain we would be ready to go. I'll start a topic of each team to sign up in, after which the team can take it from there.

If the teams can sort themselves a player list and captain and then email this to bugger@moraine.co.uk I will post the location of the ball, with a view to saying play starts tomorrow.

One suggestion that may come in handy in event of teams wishing to talk tactics privately is to start a team mailing list.

Hello there,

I came across the travelbug footbal thing an I like the original idea. I wonder how this is evolving in England, some forums have been silent for a long time, the web page ' Dylans website' can not be reached...

In the forums I can find questions but not the answers (e.g. what are the goal-caches are and are they static, or else how are they chosen)

Is the match finished, or are you still playing? What are the exact rules and are they working well? If it works well I may start a match in the Netherlands, so I would just like to know how your match is going on...

Pleas let me know or point me to the appropriate website that I did not yet find...

LouiSearcher.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice! (Scooter)

The game as far as I know is not very active, but has not finished.

There's some information on the Geocache UK site: http://www.geocacheuk.com/tbfootball.shtml

But really the object of the game is fairly simple, the part which needs refinement is the rules as to what caches are in play and the rules for moving between them.

One peice of advice is to ensure the 'goals' are set with an area rich in caches and cachers between them to ensure play progresses smoothly.

As Ferney & Gally say, the game is not very active!

The first and only goal was scored by the evens on 18th February. Since then the goal caches have been changed, but that doesn't seem to have been updated anywhere.

I moved it on 9th April, and rcwiow moved it nine days later. Since then it's been stationary.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald