ID Cards

we've just returned from a caching expedition down south (Wincester way actually) and have noticed some people leaving 'calling cards' in some of the caches.

The first ones we saw we thought ' thats a good idea' until we came across several caches with no room for anything else because the calling cards had taken up so much space. icon_frown.gif

My question is this. Why leave a calling card when you can write a log in the book?

Secondly, to rub a few peoples backs up, sorry.

Aren't we supposed to leave somthing we can trade.

Who is going to take sombody elses calling card to trade.

In theory these are a good idea, but why clog up a cache when you can write in the log book.

This is the first time I have posted a controversial issue. Please be gentle. icon_razz.gif

This'll probaly stir up another war... icon_wink.gif but I'm with you Sparticus. I personally find calling cards quite annoying (no, make that very annoying). You open the log and dozens of the dadgum things fall out all over the place. My preference is just to do your personal bit in the log itself. I really like the 'cut-outs' like Tim&June use and also the rubber stamps like Mr & Mrs Hedgehog use. This way you've left your 'personal mark' but it keeps it in the log (where it should be, in my humble opinion).

Steve

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

AH...That's where all the highlighters come from.

I generally find cards inoffensive enough. I'm not entirely sure of their purpose - Should the cache owner collect them? Other cachers?

I can understand people wanting to leave something a little more creative. Some use a sticker like Motley Crew (I think).

Whilst space is scars in some caches the swaps are c~~p so a good calling card is left and a log made TNLN this is acceptable, whilst we R on the subjects of swaps the thing that realy gets my goat is, an unfare swap.

The swaps should be of equal value or more, this does not happen and lesser swaps are often exchanged. If the quality of caches R 2 B kept up then we should focus on this prob and not the caling cards.

Sorry If this is seen to be a troll thred but it is how I feel

GEOC.gif | tbrace.jpg

I agree with you 100% about lesser swaps and I feel it is unfair to new cachers when they arrive at their first find to see a battery and an old postcard. I know when I find a cache filled with goodies, it makes a difference. I usually TNLN unless the cache is a bit depleted the I usually leave something.

I have only experienced calling cards over the last few days as they haven't found their way up north yet (so far) and was just concerned that smaller caches are being filled when there is a log book to use. I think in larger caches, like ammo boxes, then why not leave a calling card. Great idea, just please respect that others may want to leave something in the cache.

I did exactly that today. I had to remove six calling cards so that I could leave something for somebody to swap. This is really where this thread came from. It is interesting to hear what others think though. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by golddust1000:

Hey, It's just a little card!! I do leave a card and do a trade. In fact I leave the card with the trade item. Umm, may start putting in the logbook?!

Anyway I quite like the cards and sort of brings to mind the QSL cards from CB Radio days. Collectors item,s.

Bob....

http://www.bobh.co.uk

We wholeheartedly agree Bob. We like the cards too and generally leave one even if we don't trade. They don't take up 'that' much room and, as others have said, are 'collectable' items for some cachers. (They are infinitely more legible than some of the log entries we've come across too! icon_smile.gif )

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

quote:
Originally posted by Sparticus:

we've just returned from a caching expedition down south (Wincester way actually) and have noticed some people leaving 'calling cards' in some of the caches.

The first ones we saw we thought ' thats a good idea' until we came across several caches with no room for anything else because the calling cards had taken up so much space. icon_frown.gif

My question is this. Why leave a calling card when you can write a log in the book?

Secondly, to rub a few peoples backs up, sorry.

Aren't we supposed to leave somthing we can trade.

Who is going to take sombody elses calling card to trade.

In theory these are a good idea, but why clog up a cache when you can write in the log book.

This is the first time I have posted a controversial issue. Please be gentle. icon_razz.gif

Ah, it seems like the caches you are referring to are drinks beakers - you can't really get an awful lot in them at the best of times icon_wink.gif

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

If I leave a calling card I do so for the benefit of the cache owner, not in lieu of trade and not for other cachers to collect. I always make an entry in the log book.

I cannot believe that, except in the smallest (or beaker-style) caches, a collection of calling cards will occupy too much space.

Having said that, I've encountered some rather large, laminated examples. The lamination may prevent ink runs in damp caches but it makes them harder to bend to the contours of a plastic beaker.

It's a pity that Sparticus had to remove so many, the other day. Perhaps the cache owner would be pleased to receive them by snailmail.

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

I am going to jump into the KEEP THE CALLING CARD CAMP here, calling cards are a persons identity. anyone could open a cache and see that you have been there without looking in the log.

I love calling cards (but dont have my own) and love to look through them cause i dont normally have time to read all the log book so they are a quick reference point.

quote:
I had to remove six calling cards so that I could leave something for somebody to swap.

I see you point though Sparticus, I think It should be comon sence realy, if the cache is small then Leave a calling card( oops did I say that)

I mean make sure there is enough room for swaps after all thats what GeoCing is about, finding treasure.

Now I'm even confusing myself.

Is a T&J Bear a swap or a calling card, or both ????

My be this is the way Calling Cards should develope.

How about a pen with you ID on it, or a lovely Picture fram with your house on it, the twee ideas are endless.

uglymugg.jpg

Sorry could not resist

GEOC.gif | tbrace.jpg