What's in a name?

Just wondering...

Some of you folks have interesting user names, but why did you choose it?

For example, Lazy Leopard - you not a leopard (well your photo doesn't look like one), and presumably not you are not that lazy, as you like to get out and find geocaches.

icon_smile.gificon_razz.gif

quote:
For example, Lazy Leopard - you not a leopard (well your photo doesn't look like one), and presumably not you are not that lazy, as you like to get out and find geocaches.
Way back in October last year when I was thinking about registering on geocaching.com, it just seemed most folks used a nickname rather than their "real" name. When I was trying to think of a suitable nickname it just tripped out. Or maybe I'm remembering a kids book I read to my nieces and nephews recently. Or something. Either way I liked it enough to grab a local domain incorporating it

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

When I signed up and was asked for a screen name, the first thing that popped in to my mind was a scene from a movie called CB4 with Chris Rock. It was sort of the rap music version of Spinal Tap. Anyhow, there is a song in the movie where Chris Rock sings "Straight outta Locash, A Crazy Mutha****** named Gusto!" That was the first thing I thought of and I thought LoCache was a funny play on it. I knew probably no one would ever get it, but it makes me laugh every time I think of it, so who cares. icon_razz.gif

Geo

----------------------

http://www.geopolitan.net/geotrex

http://www.ggaonline.org

Mine stems from the dark period of the Anglo/Scottish Border Reivers. After they were quashed by King James. All was quiet for about 40-50 years and they reamerged as Moss Troopers and carried on there trade of skulldugery, theiving, murder and mayhem.

Out of interest wether yer wana know or not icon_smile.gif Two words spring to mind that were brought about from the reiver period.

Bereived.. Was to have been Reived and a partner/relative died in the melle.

Blackmail.. Green mail was the rent paid to land owners.. Black mail was the 'Rent' paid to Reivers to keep your possesions/house/life.

Good huh! icon_biggrin.gif

Moss de Boss... Sort

Mine is nowhere near as educational as Moss Trooper's!

I am named after my pet cat Eliot. the "1" and "0" are substituted for the "i" and "o" just in case someone already had used the Eliot name. And it makes me sound more modern and "with it" icon_smile.gif

El10t

My name - boringly - is the concatenation of my first name and the first letter of my surname. It was my log-in name on the computer science VAX at York University from 1984 to 1987. I've generally used it as my "handle" ever since. If you come across a jeremyp in a computer related context, there is always a possibility it is me e.g. my login on slashdot.org and the domains jeremyp.net and jeremyp.co.uk are both mine.

-------

We're going to need a bigger boat!

Just fer El10t

From my period in history..

The double L and single T

Decend from Minto and Wolflee,

The double T and single L

Mark the old race of Stobs that dwell,

The single L and single T

The Eliots of St Germains be,

But double T and double L

Who they are, nobody can tell

icon_biggrin.gif

Moss de Boss... Sorta

Thanks Moss!

Now I know where it comes from.

It is actually single L and single T as in T.S.Eliot, the author of the Cats poems - not a very original name for a cat I know.

However, after calling our kitten Eliot, we went and had him "done" only to be told by the vet that "he" was actually a "she". So now she is named after George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans) icon_smile.gif

El10t

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

By the way - element14, you started this topic without telling us why you picked "elemnt14" as a name. Please divulge icon_smile.gif

El10t

Wondered if somebody would ask! icon_biggrin.gif

Element 14 if you know your periodic table is Silicon, the most abundant element on the earths crust, and is used inside almost all computers, of course. Why element14? Well I'm into chemistry as part of my job, and it was a joke with myself that I get everywhere. Well, either that or I'm just dead common!

Ciao icon_wink.gif

when trying for a "user name" i can NEVER get Steve or Sue so we allways use our daughters name Nia it is allways available. so as with Jeremyp if you ever come across a Nia its usually us.

We geocache as a family anyway and we could not use all 6 names.