Multi-cache Treasure Hunt Style

ThePuddles

Being a newcomer to the geocacher scene please accept my apologies if this already happens!

I've had an idea for a top days entertainment.

Five or six completely new caches are hidden on a Saturday night and co-ordinates for these given out at a starting position on a Sunday morning. Each cache contains parts of a co-ordinate for the finishing post (Eg; a pub!).

You have to visit each cache to obtain the full 'finishing post' co-ordinate. The winners being the first to the finishing post.

Sort of like a treasure hunt but with a geocache twist.

Do people already do this? I was thinking of organising one for when the weather gets a little better?

PS: I live in Dorset. How many cachers are from this area? And would you attend?

quote:
Originally posted by Fil1976:

The winners being the first to the finishing post.

I could be wrong, but I don't think 'Mr Plod' would be best pleased with a load of geogachers 'racing' on the pulic highways.

You could stipulate that it must be done on foot, I suppose but the you'd have to handicap the younger members of our fraternity. For example making sure Dan & Pid each carry one of Hornet's ammo boxes full of sand icon_biggrin.gif

John

I think you'd have to stipulate that keeping within speed limits is a must!

But hold that thought of the sand and ammo boxes!

Maybe instead of just giving away the co-ordinates to the finishing post we could maybe make it a little more difficult with Aneka Rice style treasure-hunt clues!

That way the younger ones may find it harder, whereas the older, wiser geocachers could answer the questions in no time at all.

Or maybe we just stick to the sand and ammo boxes !!! icon_biggrin.gif

-------------

"I'm really looking forward to finding some geo-cash. Where can I spend it?" - My wife. Bless.

The activity at the first Winchester Cachers Meet was a similar Treasure Hunt. The clues were virtual caches throughout Winchester and there were questions to answer for points (and what do points mean?). The whole thing was designed to be done on foot.

We made two mistakes

1. there were too many questions - it took three hours or more to complete.

2. the finishing post was at a view point overlooking Winchester. I had the idea that I would be able to watch the cachers running around like headless chickens whilst swigging cold beers from an ice box. Unfortunately, it was a bitterly cold and wet day and it was suggested by several participants as well as Tim & June (who supplied the prize) that a pub as the finishing post would have been a much better idea. I have to say, I was forced to agree with them.

If you're going to do an on foot based hunt, fastest round would be an appropriate method of finding a winner, but if it is to be a car based hunt, you should use lowest mileage as the criteria (you don't want to encourage Colin McCraes on public roads).

Also, you need to stagger the start times. With the Paul Blitz hunt yesterday, it was easy to spot the caches due to the number of people crowded round typing coords into their GPS receivers.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

I think (although I could be wrong), that any form of racing on public roads, even if the speed limits are adhered to, is illegal.

Hence arranging a first-back cache with cars would be on dodgy ground, even if stipulating maxmimum speeds.

Lowest mileage could work...or just an on-foor job (although that discriminates against those that can't jog or run)

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

Please don't under estimate the amount of time and work needed to organise an event of this type. The 2002 Great Yorkshire Cache Hunt took several months planning and many many man-hours (man-days) to crganise and resulted in me having a touch of "geocaching burnout".

At the end of the event there was no doubt everyone enjoyed it, but, there was some concern, on my part anyway, that the amount of effort required to organise it was possibly too great compared to the number of participants.

The format, for those who did not attend, was ... There were 28ish caches all varying in difficulty and accessibilty. The caches were awarded a score based on these factors. There was no way all the caches could be completed within the rough time limit given to participants and therefore they had to choose which caches to do prior to setting off. They could choose to do lots of easy ones or a handful of hard ones and both would score the same. It worked fairly well and and made it more of a hunt than a race.

There were several problems, (organiser with dodgy gps for instance icon_wink.gif ) but most were overcome fairly easily.

We did find that there was probably a limit to the number of participants that could enter, due to the fact that it was necessary to stagger the start at 10min intervals. This meant we could only set off 6-10 teams per hour.

Chris icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'd probably agree now that first one back is probably a bad idea. I like the sound of point scoring with multiple caches but would probably take far too long to organise, and based on Chuffers experience I certainly don't want to experience caching burnout.

Having never planned an event like this all your tips, ideas and thoughts from previous events are very gratefully received.

Looks like I'm going to have think really hard about this.. (Which could be a problem...) icon_confused.gif

-------------

"I'm really looking forward to finding some geo-cash. Where can I spend it?" - My wife. Bless.

We had a meet down here in Cornwall just before Xmas organised by Nawtcher and Crazy Eddie. They sorted out ten virtual locations with questions to answer to give the co-ordinates for a final cache box which also then had the co-ordinates to a nearby Pub.

To solve the problem of everyone following each other, we were all sent to a different location for our first clue but after that one we could the rest in any order we liked. This worked well as we only saw two other teams (Out of eight)before we all met up at the pub.

Hope this may help

Mike

That does help a lot, thanks Mike.

A walking treasure-hunt may far better than a driving one. And with the lovely countryside here in Briantspuddle I'm sure it'll work well.

Thanks again.

-------------

We have been approached by a fellow cacher (who shall remain nameless at present!) about doing another Fox Hunt. We had great fun doing it last year and as far as we know no speed limits were broken - well not by us anyway icon_biggrin.gif , and I'm sure that people would be up for another one. Now got to speak nicely to The Cat about borrowing some equipment....... icon_wink.gif

Sarah

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

el10t and I are going to do an experiment with a mobile phone, laptop and some clever software to see if that is a practical and affordable alternative.

When I say affordable I mean on the assumption that you already own all of the above equipment. We'll let you know how it goes.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

DJH has offered to be the Fox too. We do want to do it again, but do want to have a go at being chasers next time! So I suppose that everyone can fight amongst themselves over this one whilst we sit back & wait for the chase! icon_biggrin.gif

I suppose it depends on who can get the technology sorted out and I know DJH would like a hand with that side of things, so perhaps you could get together?

Sarah

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

Just to let people know, I've been working on something which will track Mark's fox from my PC and automatically update a web page with its progress round the country. Such a feature would be a useful addition to laptop/mobile systems too (though probably implemented in a friendlier way than I'm forced to!)

I have been thinking about a treasure hunt for a while, and having read all the posts here, I would be happy to organise one that would work like this.

Start and finish at a pub.

All on foot

Points per cache and time taken

Most points wins

Caches can be done in any order

Number off caches to be a third the number off participants

Set off every five minutes

All the data will be in a printout, and as a download from easyGPS on a laptop.

(I need to make sure various leads are available, as we only have one for a eTrex)

You will only get this data at your start time.

This would be set in the ‘New Forest’ and take place in April or September.

Comments please:

Tech-no notice

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

...I thought someone else said there was a problem with placing caches in the New Forest?

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Only in rabbit holes, as far as we know

Tech-no notice