BREEDING SEASON!!!!!

I visited a cache today near Newbury and was greeted with signs warning of Ground Nesting Birds and increased Adder activity.

When I got to the cache location I saw two (or more) Adders within 10 feet of the cache. They were obviously more scared of me than I was of them (Just) but this incident has led to me posting a note (I have informed the cache placer as well).

If you have placed a cache in an area which may have wildlife about they are all thinking about reproducing right now. Female Adders will become protective, nesting birds can be easily disturbed. Areas such as this (Nature reserves) will often have warnings asking people who use the reserve to stick to the paths and be sensitive to the needs of our furry / feathered / scaled friends. If your cache is in a reserve then you should think carefully about where you placed the cache. If there is a danger of Geocachers disturbing things then the cache should be moved or archived.

I know this sounds a bit overbearing but you try standing in the middle of a leafy area with Adders all over the place. That is one experience I will not forget in a hurry.

Also please do not use plastic bags to wrap your cache containers in. These will not last long as rodents will nibble them. There is also a chance that the same creatures will become poisioned or entangled in these bags (Not to mention Adders hiding in them!).

Thanks

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

quote:
Originally posted by Lassitude:

Also please do not use plastic bags to wrap your cache containers in. These will not last long as rodents will nibble them. There is also a chance that the same creatures will become poisioned or entangled in these bags (Not to mention Adders hiding in them!).

Thanks

Chris

The subject of plastic bags came up at the Southern Cache Bash where it was said that within new guidelines to be drawn up plastic bags will be a NO NO. Furthermore they seldom work to keep the cache dry, rather they keep it wet in the dry weather because of trapped condensation. Also you cannot get the stagnant water stink from your fingers even after washing your hands.

Now back to the topic

As Chris said you may come across adders on you way to a cache, often motionless in a sunny spot. Many peoples reaction to spotting any snake is to find a stick and try to kill it.

Please don't react that way, leave them alone and go on your way. If the snake is near the cache then leave the cache and post a note to warn others.

I have seen many adders killed on paths when walking by the misguided and fearful, no snake is intentionally going to harm you, but if you are bitten when you try to handle it or provoke it, it's your fault not the snakes.

[This message was edited by adrianjohn on April 06, 2003 at 11:44 AM.]

quote:
I have seen many adders killed on paths when walking by the misguided and fearful, no snake is intentionally going to harm you, but if you are bitten when you try to handle it or provoke, it it your fault not the snakes.

Yep I know a few misguided poeple whos immediate reaction to seeing a snake is to try an kill it. Adders will try to get out of your way when they hear/feel you coming. On colder days they may prefer to stay under cover as because they are cold blooded they are a lot less mobile if they are not warm. If a cache is placed deep in the undergrowth (i.e. Not near a path) then this has got to increase the risks in an area where Adders are very common.

Thanks

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

Aw c'mon you guys, haven't any of you watched that lunatic Steve Erwin ?

I mean, that guy picks up the worlds most dangerous snakes, kisses them and hails their beauty etc. icon_eek.gif

Why not just do what he does, y'know, get a stick, prod it and poke it and get it real stressed out and then get bitten. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, don't forget the aussie accent and say things like "Look at this beauty asleep in the sun, let's give him a little poke and see if he will play".

and

"Blimey, did you see that, the blighter almost tore me thigh right off"

Not sure if the accent is required in order to do this safely of course, but I don't think I will try it anytime soon. icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif