GUK Logo Poll

TheCat

I have been sat here at work today watching the antics of a couple of people re the poll. In the last hour we have had loads of votes. I am sorry but it is a little suspicious when selections get loads of votes in a few mins. Then the other gets loads of votes. So I have closed the poll and going on past results I am declaring number 2 the winner. I know this might upset a few people out there but what can I do. The poll software uses cookies to not allow people to vote twice but if they are deleted you can vote again. The script I use cost me quite a bit of money but there you go. I have contacted the software vendor to see if they can do anything about it for future polls.

It is a shame that a couple of people have decided to do this. I am also sure that I will of upset a few as well for that I am sorry.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

Mark, although I voted only once I did wonder what would happen if I tried 'multiple' votes. Now I know.

I think you did the right thing by closing the poll unexpectedly early.

What a shame it is that our simple bit of fun is starting to attract the less pleasant elemnts of society. I'm thinking not only of vote rigging but also suspicions of trashing, trolling, excessive criticism of some points of view etc. that we have seen on these forums over the past couple of months. Whatever happened to live & let live?

Ah well, at least MOST cachers are great people - wierd maybe - but smashing to know icon_wink.gif

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

Mark,

I'd just like to say, publicly, that any excess voting on the poll was nothing to do with me, despite the (prvately emailed) question I asked the other day :-)

BTW, would blocking on the IP address work? Sure, for someone with a static IP like myself, it would be a go-er (but bear in mind that you *can* force a re-assignment of IP address even on a nominally static broadband connection), but anyone on dial-up internet access or with a frequently re-assigned dynamic IP could still get around things couldn't they?

Regards,

G.

quote:
Originally posted by geomania:

BTW, would blocking on the IP address work?

I wondered about the same thing. The only solution I can see is to have people enter their GC username when they vote. It's still not completely foolproof, but it would help.

'Course, Mark's poll software probably doesn't allow for such a thing, so it's a moot point. It's just a pity this is something we even need to discuss. Oh, and it wasn't me either - as one of the entrants, I kinda feel like a prime suspect!

SimonG.org

Thank you for that SimonG.

I will in the very near future be producing some merchandise including the new logo. The main reason for that is to try and get some income for the site. As I said when I first started the site there will never be a charge for the useres of the site no matter what features we put on it in the future. But the site has cost me over £1000 so far and still rising. So providing anyone that uses the logo is not using it for comercial gain feel free to use it as you see fit. I would however like an email from the user so I know what is being done with it.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

Thanks Mark. If produce any badges I will be happy to get them from you.

re: IP address blocking. Another problem with that idea is that if a user uses a proxy server then you will only see the proxy server's address and will then block anyone else using the same server.

(It wasn't me either)

As Bart Simpson says " I didn't do it, you didn't see me do it, you can't prove anything"

Except once - and I already admitted that transgression in the hope that the loophole could be closed.

Congrats to the winner, my favourite fell at the second last fence. I would be happy to support the site and would be particularly interested in travel bug tags, a little cheaper than the USA version. Is that a possibility? Could they be logged on GCcom?

Better yet, could G:UK resell GC.com merchandise and plough a little back into the UK site? I know I'm suggesting work for others but I'm thinking of the price we pay for official merchandise here.

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

I know that Mark has recently purchased a large number of Groundspeak travel bugs, and is selling them off at very reasonable rates.

If you want an alternative to Groundspeak, you could try geolutins. I understand they give you a tracking number free of charge, and it's up to you what you print it on.

As a name tag for my bugs, I use Avery "Fantastic Plastic" which is a film you print on with an inkjet, then bake in the oven. The film shrinks into a 2mm thick plastic sheet, making the print waterproof in the process...

bug.jpg

I know that Mark has recently purchased a large number of Groundspeak travel bugs, and is selling them off at very reasonable rates.

If you want a not-for-profit alternative to Groundspeak, you could try geoluREMOVETHIStins. I understand they give you a tracking number free of charge, and it's up to you what you print it on.

I have forced this posting through the censorship which is present in these forums, only because I think people should be informed about the choices they have. As far as the work I've done for G:UK goes, for as long as I am allowed access to GC.com data, I will not be using, or reporting on, any of the other caching / TB sites.

[This message was edited by Teasel on March 01, 2003 at 07:38 AM.]

I agree with Teasel the Geocaching Travel Bug is the industry standard so why try to fix what is not broken. I will in the near future ask Jeremy if there is any way we can sell there merchandise in the UK. I am not sure if it will be allowed as there are a couple of distributers in the UK already. I can but try.

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

... for as long as I am allowed access to GC.com data, I will not be using, or reporting on, any of the other caching / TB sites.

[This message was edited by Teasel on March 01, 2003 at 07:38 AM.]

Point taken.

I'm not anti GC.com per se, its the dollar to pound conversion that annoys me.

IMO choice and competition must be good, but I would hate to think that the hobby will go the way of others wit a GC association, GC Federation, GC conference, GC premier league etc.

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.