Examining Cache Contents

Phil'n'Kerry

[This probably really belongs in the Getting Started forum, but it feels friendlier here...]

What's the best/most subtle way to sort out your trades and enter the log, etc? Having done our first cache today, we found that digging around the undergrowth in a reasonably busy area is hard enough, but looking through the cache contents and entering the log, half hidden behind a tree, is even harder to do subtly.

Is it acceptable to wander off somewhere close (eg down a path to a bench) with the cache for 10 minutes or so, and return it once done? There's the risk of course that another looking cacher won't find it in that time, but the flip side is spending too long being suspicious.

--

Phil'n'Kerry

We're pretty new ourselves, but we usually take the cache a couple of hundred yards from it's hiding place so that we can look through it at leisure - but still have line of sight in case anyone else appears to be looking for it.

So far we haven't bumped into anyone - although we narrowly missed David & Kirsty today at Danbury icon_frown.gif

It would be great to meet fellow cachers while we are out and about and, looking at what others have said in the past, it does happen from time to time.

Welcome to the game - say goodbye to your weekends! icon_smile.gif

Interesting...

I don't think in all my 64 finds, I have ever taken the cache away from the cache site to fill in the logbook. If you carry an air of officialdom about you while doing the business, people just think you are someone from the council or the park rangers or whatever. If you like, take a bulging clipboard with you full of sheafs of useless figures and tables. Or even cache printouts, it often amounts to the same thing..

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Being far too lazy to move away from the cache site I always fill in the log etc. from very close by.

In 400+ finds I've never had a major problem although you do have to choose your moment from time to time.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

Having met other cachers for the first time, this is an interesting subject. They had arrived at the cache before us, and as we were approaching, they looked _very_ shifty!

However, we introduced ourselves then went away while they re-hid it. When we returned, it turned out they'd been doing the log around 30 feet from the hiding place.

Seems sensible, and that's what we tend to do. Although earlier in the weekend we had to wait while some very slow horse riders went past... we must have looked similarly shifty.

I don't know if there's a correct answer to all this, but it seems that once you have the cache, going a short distance, but still in sight of the hiding place is best. That's how we do it, too.

I think you simply have to use your best judgement. It's not really the filling in of the log book that draws attention, more the hunting for the box beforehand.

We don't usually go far away but we prefer caches in less populated places anyway.

If it's a tupperware box, you could always pretend to be having a picnic. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Phil'n'Kerry:

Is it acceptable to wander off somewhere close (eg down a path to a bench) with the cache for 10 minutes or so, and return it once done?

Yes,

The one thing I'll bring up that noone else seems to have hit on so far, is that you should make sure you pay attention to the hiding spot. Its been know to happen that between you finding the cache (and carry it off) and returning, you don't get it exactly back where you found it. Its not a big problem by itself, but if this happens a few times the cache could "drift" out away from where its suppose to be.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Some caches are in positions where you can see anyone approaching for miles and you can open the cache without fear of being observed.

Others do need care and to maintain security it is necessary to move a little distance but keeping in sight and as just said being sure to know exactly where to return. I well remember receiving an email from someone who said the cache had gone walkabout - only to find that was literally true and that they had passed on the towpath the people taking it to the local pub for checking.

I too have met fellow cachers near a cache. In that case they had no GPSR with them and and we made it a joint hunt.

Have just got back from the Danbury (Essex) cache. Although it is only our 2nd cache, it does feel odd looking through the cache and then being spotted by people walking past. It happened today, an elderly couple came walking past and kept looking back at us, like we were going to cause mischief.

There was also another man around the area looking in bushes, but could not see him with a receiver. He is probably writing something very similar to me now. icon_wink.gif

Mark

Firstly make sure you are not seen prodding and poking about for the cache. This is quite tricky in a lot of cases. A lot of the time this is when you are most likely to give the game away. Before you start digging through the undergrowth circle around a couple to times to verify your GPS is giving a good reading so you do not waste time looking in the wrong place.

When you find some likely locations- And lets face it once you have done a few you tend to be able to identify most likely places (In Evergreen trees, tree stumps, under logs) Then have a quick look while your pal/wife/kids/significant other keeps a lookout. It pays to properly read the cache desription as sometimes this will give you clues as to what type/colour of container you are looking for and its dimensions.

Removing the cache is usually the easy part. Again have somebody keep lookout and grab it quickly as you can. Then conceal in under your jacket and walk away from the site. Try to find somewhere at least 100 ft away that gives you a view of the cache site in case another cacher turns up (Unlikely but increasingly possible thesedays). If you identify somebody with a GPS who is obviously looking for the cache than let them know you have it and suggest to them you will hide it again to allow them to search for it. That's better than giving the location away.

Opening the cache is not the real problem as they often are in tupperware boxes so resemble packed lunches. This is also a good opportunity to have a drink to make the process of opening the cache more like you are stopping to have a snack. Even if you do raise suspicion all you have to do is wait for the person who is eyeballing you to go and then hide it.

On a couple of occasions I have given up on a cache beacuse there were too many people about. If this is the case bite the bullet and give up the search. To reduce the risk of this happening read the notes on the cache page before you attempt it. If other people have commented on how busy the area is visit it early or late or when it is raining.

I have never given the game away but if I did I would think two options are open to you. Re-hide the cache in a safer location and take an accurate waypoint measurement using the 'Average' option on your GPS or take the cache with you (If it is local to you. In both situations inform the person who placed the cache as soon as possible and return to cache to them or provide new location information.

One last thing. Ignore Pids comment about nightime caching. I tried it last week in a dark wood and it scared the hell out of me. I have said this before and will say it again Pid is totally nuts and any advice he offers should be ignored icon_wink.gif

Thanks

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

If you're at all self conscious about geocaching in public then give HM3 a miss. Believe me... on a sunny Sunday afternoon you have half the population of Starrat watching you and wondering what the idiot is doing icon_biggrin.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Hi

I recently found the Look both ways cache in the peak district. We went to the location around 4:30 in feb maybe 60 mins before dark hopeing that it wouldn,t be to busy had to search and stop search and stop for about 20 mins because there was so many people around. I think they were beginning to think i was a bit wierd (maybe i am ) well after about a 30 minute faultering search we found it. Luckily there was no one around when i filled the log (well wrote on a piece of paper and put it in the canister)

I even had the wife on sentry duty. May have to borrow a big dog next time to keep visitors away

Cheers

BountyHunter1 icon_wink.gif

Well, I have the upgraded Geko 201L, which once at a cache site, allows the user to activate the GCDS, Geocacher's Defence System.

This system was apparantly piggy backed on to the GPS satellites and has recently been made available to all via the US government. There is an additional button on the Geko 201L which when pressed will activate the GCDS. Once activated the GCDS lasers will eliminate any person or persons not holding a GCDS device within 200 metres of the GCDS device used to activate the system.

:anibad: Honest.

Give it to a child (Aaron) who will then run the required 100yards shouting at the top of his voice FOUND IT!!.

More seriously if thier is space we retrieve the cache and walk a distance away from the hiding spot before opening it. Unless its raining in which case the human umbrella (Mark) comes into effect while the kids dawdle making thier swaps. After one misplacement under a different tree (corrected by Lynn) the person who found it puts it back.