Does anyone else have a personal Trasher?

I think I should feel honoured, I seem to have someone following me round and trashing my caches.

I didn't realise that I was that important, nor that my caches were of such significance to warrant being trashed over and over again.

Please stand and applaud the "Shaddow" for their dedication and application. I've never felt so proud as to think that my humble caches are so interesting, and difficult to find, as to need my own cache trasher.

Can this be added to the scores in the caches found/placed. Maybe we could have a league table for caches trashed?

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Team Minim:

Are you sure?

Could it be "one of those things?"

Any figures or common features to the caches?

Cache the Bug-Geocaching

One cache, Precisely Bolsover, has been taken twice. The 1st time I put down to kids, the second was better hidden, and away from where the kids might have tripped over it. However, if it were not for the next cache trashing I would still have put it down to bad luck.

The one that made me think that it's deliberate was Goodalls Trig. This time the "Shaddow" left a calling card that the next person to try the cache found.

I did get some emails from someone who said their young son found the cache 'by accident'. Which may have been so, but they've never returned the cache or hidden the contents in another cache (I did offer that they could re-place the cache, or put it in another place and tell me the co-ordinates so I could retrieve it. No luck with that either)

Perhaps the two are unrelated and I'm paranoid. However, I will replace Goodalls Trig and see what happens...

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Minim:

Are you sure?

Could it be "one of those things?"

Any figures or common features to the caches?

Cache the Bug-Geocaching

One cache, Precisely Bolsover, has been taken twice. The 1st time I put down to kids, the second was better hidden, and away from where the kids might have tripped over it. However, if it were not for the next cache trashing I would still have put it down to bad luck.

Oh, and I meant to say that I had remade the original hiding place, and this has been disturbed, but that could have been one of the two people who reported the cache as missing, which was quite correct - it had gone.

--... ...--

Morseman

Why not rehide a couple in slightly different location sand make them Members only to see what happens, I havn't visited any of your caches so I dont know the type of places you hide them, are they in Built up area? are they in places that attract the local youths? process of elimanation is what I would do, not only the cost of placing caches and the time spent finding a suitable site, but it cant be an incentive to you when they get trashed, again my advice would be to make them Members only for a while.

Nige

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

again my advice would be to make them Members only for a while.

Nige

The problem there is that I'm not a subscriber, so I wouldn't want to remove the caches from others who are not members either.

I think I may just log them onto one of the other geocaching sites and not GC and see if they get trashed as well.

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:

The problem there is that I'm not a subscriber, so I wouldn't want to remove the caches from others who are not members either.

I think it was suggested as a temporary measure to find out if the trasher was finding them by accident or not. Don't forget the Trasher is removing your caches from members and non members alike.

Anyway, you may not be able to log MoC caches as a non-member so that idea is out unless you want to give gc.com some of your hard earned cash.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

quote:

I think it was suggested as a temporary measure to find out if the trasher was finding them by accident or not. Don't forget the Trasher is removing your caches from members and non members alike.

The other option then would be to place a cache there without logging it on the site. If it disappears again, it's pretty much a sure thing that it is being stumbled across rather than maliciously hunted.

Perhaps this is just the deviant in me, but I'd rather be tempted to put one of those springy can snakes in there, so that it jumps out when the "finder" opens the box. icon_biggrin.gif

Not that I'd condone any such action, of course...

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

quote:
Originally posted by MarcB:

Just out of interest what did the calling card say?

MarcB

"

Apparently it said "All good things come to an end - The Shaddow" or words to that effect.

I received an email from someone who went to the cache and found the card where the cache had been.

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:

Apparently it said "All good things come to an end - The Shaddow" or words to that effect.

--... ...--

Morseman

I suppose that's what we have to expect these days. I mean.. if thay can't spell a simple word like 'shadow' what hope have we got? I blame the parents.

... ducks for cover and runs

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

quote:

--... ...--

Morseman

I suppose that's what we have to expect these days. I mean.. if thay can't spell a simple word like 'shadow' what hope have we got? I blame the parents.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Normally with my bad spelling , I blame the drink icon_smile.gif

Nige

quote:
Originally posted by Omally:

It would seem you're not alone, Morseman: both Merman and Rincewind & Luggage seem to have personal "trolls" as well...

I really do hope this doesn't escalate. icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

It's a tradition, or an old charter or something...

Rincewind & Luggage archived one of their caches because the gardners re-planted the area and the cache went missing. See here.

Another was in an area where kids play constantly and they accept the fact that it was most likely found by some of them.

We believe we know what happened with Mermans cache, and it has nothing to do with cachers. Merman probably agrees with that.

By the way, a Troll is not someone who trashes caches. Briefly, a troll is someone who places a post on a forum in an attempt to start a flame war or argument.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

By the way, a Troll is not someone who trashes caches. Briefly, a troll is someone who places a post on a forum in an attempt to start a flame war or argument.

I thought a troll was somebody who hides under bridges and eats any billy goats that cross them.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

quote:

--... ...--

Morseman

The spelling was my fault, the note on the cache page says "Found what is left of it! Found the empty biscuit box lying in the open. A note from someone calling themselves Shadow said All good things come to an end this was inside a ziplok bag that had Smoulder written on the side. We can't decide whether Shadow trashed the cache or found it in this state & left the note to let cachers know that they had found the cache. I hope it's the latter. Left it as we found it to save others searcing in vain. Apart from that we enjoyed the walk & views."

Just to clear up the points made.

--... ...--

Morseman

Hi everyone .

I know what morse is talking about as i've visited 2 of his caches that have gone bye bye's . i'm not from the town where they were hidden so i could'nt say if kids play there often or not.

I was the first person to attempt the "precisly bolsover" cache in both the first and second hidding places , I thought that the 2nd cache was in a good spot and well hidden.

I didn't attempt the "gd trig" cache so I cant comment.

Don't give in morse . I'm in australia at the moment but when i get back I will start hidding some more to keep us derbyshire caches amused .

p.s. my spelling is terrible toooooo :-)

quote:

I thought a troll was somebody who hides under bridges and eats any billy goats that cross them.

What, the bridge or the troll?

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

-------

jeremyp

I think you'll find that the troll fails to eat any billy goats, and ends up being butted into the river, never to be seen againicon_wink.gif

This posting was brought to you courtesy of my wife (a Nursery Nurse and fussy with it) icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by conedxf & family:

I think you'll find that the troll fails to eat any billy goats, and ends up being butted into the river, never to be seen againicon_wink.gif

This posting was brought to you courtesy of my wife (a Nursery Nurse and fussy with it) icon_biggrin.gif

I thought it was one particular billy goat that butted the troll into the river and lots more had already crossed and been eaten.

-------

jeremyp

quote:

I thought it was one particular billy goat that butted the troll into the river and lots more had already crossed and been eaten.

-------

jeremyp

A quick search found the following synopsis

http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/bill_goats_gruff.htm

Billy Goats 3 Troll 0

Can we hear your rendition of the song ?

Best wishes

Mark

quote:
Originally posted by conedxf & family:

quote:

-------

jeremyp

A quick search found the following synopsis

http://www.sterlingtimes.co.uk/bill_goats_gruff.htm

Billy Goats 3 Troll 0

Can we hear your rendition of the song ?

Best wishes

Mark

Is this the bridge?

Link to a picture of the Troll Bridge

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

That's interesting - the <shudder> in my original post seems to have got lost in the transfer to the new forums, but it's still there where Stuey quoted me. Most strange.

http://www.SimonG.org - now with added blog!

That's not all - if I follow the link to the cache quoted in the post by Stuey/SimonG/Omally I only get to the Hide/Seek a Cache page!

quote:
Originally posted by jstead:

That's not all - if I follow the link to the cache quoted in the post by Stuey/SimonG/Omally I only get to the Hide/Seek a Cache page!

Now that is odd, as the links work fine for me!

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

quote:
Originally posted by jstead:

Now that is odd, as the links work fine for me!

I think it's only the link in Stuey's post that doesn't work - a couple of HTML tags have somehow gotten into the URL it links to.

SimonG.org - now with added blog!

LOL that REALLY is a funny log.

I know SimonG is an Author (I read it his blog or somewhere)

Perhaps when caching is mainstream in the future he can write another book called something like 'Early Geocaching Calamities in the Twenty First Century' - I vote that that log goes in it.

We take our children everywhere, but they always find their way back home...

Your not alone Morseman I've had one of my caches trashed on two occasions even though it was hidden in a different place the second time.The first time they scattered the contents of the container, then urinated in it and left a note under it saying "it's not orange juice it's p**s don't drink it.

Happy days

The Fellman

quote:
"it's not orange juice it's p**s don't drink it.

Two things...

Thing 1: If my pee looked remotely like orange juice I would be visiting my doctor real soon..

Thing 2: If I though I was ever stupid enough to mistake pee for orange juice by looking at it then I would be visiting my doctor again real soon...

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....