Help with a GPSr for a friend.

I have a friend who is looking to buy a GPSr. He wants one on which he can display maps and it will be used mainly for travel whilst on his bicycle, thus the usefulness of having the map on screen in front of him. As I am only of humble beginnings as the owner of a basic yellow etrex advice as to the best and most suitable model would be most welcome.

He has read through all sorts of fora and groups and just got himself confused as to which would be best. In addition, if the model had a clamp system for handlebars that would be a big plus, as would keeping the price towards the lower end of the price spectrum.

I told him someone here would be the fount of all knowledge! icon_biggrin.gif Who knows, once he's kitted out I might well get him turned on to geocaching.

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

We upgraded from our Garmin yellow eTrex to an eTrex Legend. It has an OK basemap, but add mapsource, and you're really rocking. It's suitable for loading several counties into, or a couple of large cities - it all depends on the detail in the map area. This one (unlike the yellow) comes with the PC lead.

We're very happy with it.

Recommended list:

- eTrex Venture

- Mapsource Metroguide

- Handlebar Mount

- NiMh Batteries + Charger

The next one up (can't remember the name - it's silver) has 3 times the memory for maps, but also an electronic compass and altimeter. We couldn't justify the extra 100 or so quid for those features.

Hope this helps,

Stu

quote:
Originally posted by Stu & Sarah:

We upgraded from our Garmin yellow eTrex to an eTrex Legend. It has an OK basemap, but add mapsource, and you're really rocking. It's suitable for loading several counties into, or a couple of large cities - it all depends on the detail in the map area. This one (unlike the yellow) comes with the PC lead.

We're very happy with it.

Recommended list:

- eTrex Venture

- Mapsource Metroguide

- Handlebar Mount

- NiMh Batteries + Charger

The next one up (can't remember the name - it's silver) has 3 times the memory for maps, but also an electronic compass and altimeter. We couldn't justify the extra 100 or so quid for those features.

Hope this helps,

Stu

If you're just going to use it with a bicycle then MapSource Metroguide Europe will probably be OK but personally, I would get Roads & Recreaction instead. The map detail is identical but the 'tiles' use far less memory. You can get most of SE England into the Legend's 8Mb of memory. The down-side is that it doesn't support auto-routing and doesn't include the POI or the 'goto and address' function but I can live without them icon_smile.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

Just be a bit careful with the Etrex cycle mount, as it uses a replacement battery cover to attach to the mount and I wouldn't trust it if you were planning to hurl your mountain bike down a bumpy slope.

When time comes, we'll all be drownded, lad

quote:
Originally posted by golddust1000:

I am considering upgrading as well. I am very happy with my yellow Etrex, but would like something that would disaplay both grid ref and long-lat at the same time (is there such a device?).

Yes, the eTrex Legend (and others in that family, I believe) have options to view "Location (lat/lon)" and "Location (selected)". So if you select British Grid, then you can view both on the same screen.

quote:

Yes, the eTrex Legend (and others in that family, I believe) have options to view "Location (lat/lon)" and "Location (selected)". So if you select British Grid, then you can view both on the same screen.

Hmmmm.... I didn't know that !!! Guess I should read the manual occasionally icon_biggrin.gif

John

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

If you're just going to use it with a bicycle then MapSource Metroguide Europe will probably be OK but personally, I would get Roads & Recreaction instead. The map detail is identical but the 'tiles' use far less memory. You can get most of SE England into the Legend's 8Mb of memory. The down-side is that it doesn't support auto-routing and doesn't include the POI or the 'goto and address' function but I can live without them icon_smile.gif

A couple of questions... does roads & rec work on a Legend? Garmins site doesn't say it does, but then again, their lists aren't very good. Next, can you load a selection of maps from metroguide AND roads & rec at the same time? I can imagine wanting metroguide for a destination city, and roads & rec for the surrounding area.

If your friend will be mostly off-road cycling then mapping GPSs arn't really much of an advantage as with no UK topo maps available all you can really see are roads and major features.

For mountain biking Memorymap or similar is a better place to spend your dosh as you can put the trails in very acuratley. Then all you need do is follow the pointer.

Chris

If only life had an undo button....

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:

quote:

I am considering upgrading as well. I am very happy with my yellow Etrex, but would like something that would disaplay both grid ref and long-lat at the same time (is there such a device?).

Legend it is then icon_smile.gif

Bob....

http://www.bobh.co.uk

quote:

A couple of questions... does roads & rec work on a Legend? Garmins site doesn't say it does, but then again, their lists aren't very good. Next, can you load a selection of maps from metroguide AND roads & rec at the same time? I can imagine wanting metroguide for a destination city, and roads & rec for the surrounding area.

Yes... R&R certainly works with the Legend.

Probably but I've never tried... MapSource will allow you to select maps from both packages on the same 'screen' but you would still be restricted to the 8Mb limit. You would have to select them all before you initiate a download as the the map data currently in the GPSr is deleted prior to the new information being downloaded. One thing, though, the map tiles are not the same in both packages. The map tiles in R&R cover a smaller area. For instance, in Metroguide, to cover all of greater London you need to load 4 tiles and that is a total of around 12Mb (tough, if you only have 8 available). In R&R you would select 15 tiles for a total of 3Mb !!!

I very often use Metroguide to do the Auto-routing' and download the routes to the Legend and then switch to R&R to download the map set. Waypoints can be done from either.

John

quote:

Yes... R&R certainly works with the Legend.

[...]

I very often use Metroguide to do the Auto-routing' and download the routes to the Legend and then switch to R&R to download the map set. Waypoints can be done from either.

Thanks. I'll try to arrange for Garmin to send you your sales commission icon_smile.gif

Stu

quote:
Originally posted by Pooter:

Just be a bit careful with the Etrex cycle mount, as it uses a replacement battery cover to attach to the mount and I wouldn't trust it if you were planning to hurl your mountain bike down a bumpy slope.

When time comes, we'll all be drownded, lad

I use RAM mounts for my GPS MAP76 - one in the car and another on the cycle. They are very solid and I would recommend them (available from globalpositioningsystems,co.uk)

quote:

quote:

Would you like to give me a hint (encrypted, if you want icon_wink.gif) because I can't find a way to get my Legend to display both on the same screen icon_frown.gif

John

quote:

Would you like to give me a hint (encrypted, if you want icon_wink.gif) because I can't find a way to get my Legend to display both on the same screen icon_frown.gif

I have a Vista, so it's probably the same: have you got a Trip Computer page? If so, highlight one of the fields on it with the rocker button, press enter and select "location(selected)" from the pop-up menu. Now change another field to "location (lat/lon)" and hey presto: you have OS and lat/lon at the same time.

It's not something I use that much, but it comes in handy sometimes.

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

Omally