Security

We recently visited a cache, having parked sensibly in the car park. This car park is obviously only used by people who are about to go off on a walk which will take some time.

When we returned TWO cars had been broken into. Here is the detail of what was happening and how to hopefully avoid the same happening to you. icon_mad.gif

The ladies of both of these two cars had followed advice and placed their handbags and other valuables in the boot. The problem is that they were being watched by a guy further up the car park pretending to be using a mobile phone whilst acting as a lookout for people approaching via the long straight path. When everyone was out of sight the two cars were broken into via the rear side windows and access gained to the boot. One of the ladies handbags had her keys and home address in it as well as her office keys.

There are a couple of things to bear in mind here. This sounds obvious but make sure that there is nobody 'hanging around' when you place your valuables in the boot or at least make sure that you hide your actions.

Not so obvious is to look around and see if there is a lot of broken glass on the ground. In the type of car parks usually frequented by cachers the carpark is often gravel so it does not get cleaned up.

Getting out of a car and putting hiking boots on is a sure indication you will be away for some time.

Take care. icon_mad.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

As a lot of caches are hidden in rural areas we often have our guard down. In fact places like this are often the best spots for car thieves.

I think the best solution is to carry backpacks and leave nothing in the car whatsoever. I carry all my valubles with me although my wife has sometimes left her handbag in the boot (I will discourage that from now on).

There may be something to be said for parking somewhere that does not make it obvious you are going to ba away for a long while.

Anything left in the car is an invite for a smash and grab car thief. These sort of theives are not bothered about car alarms because by the time you have returned they will have gone anyway.

Its amazing the lengths some thieves go to in order to steal other peoples property. This was obviously a well-rehearsed strategy they used.

I think there is a general point here about security, but also a specific one relating to the particular carpark/cache at which the unpleasantry happened. Well worth mentioning in the log of your visit as a "heads-up" for future visitors, and even mailing the cache owner to see if they could include a warning on the page.

-----------------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Well worth mentioning in the log of your visit as a "heads-up" for future visitors, and even mailing the cache owner to see if they could include a warning on the page.

I agree. Perhaps Tim should say which cache this was at. It's only fair to warn other cachers of the possible danger.

alex.

If the cache was in the North West Surrey area this seems to be a growing problem. I recently gave a presentation at a neighbourhood watch meeting where the police name the theft of valuables, especially laptops, as a growing crime within the Surrey, Hants, Berks area. The main areas being targeted were pub car parks.

David

I have pposted warnings on both my Caches at Calleva (Roman Remains and Roman Coins).

I suspect this will put people off but at least I won't feel guilty if somebody does get broken into. I have suggested some alternative parking that may be safer.

I would also like to add that I have visited Calleva dozens of times and never had or seen any trouble there. On my last visit before placing the Cache my car was the only one in the car park and the place was deserted and all was OK.

Chris Franklin

Welllll.. My View.

If yer going cachin.. and your in a carpark an have yer digi camera.. Take a few snaps of the carpark.. Hi quility of course.

Will either put em off.. or yer get thwacked in the heed an yer camera nicked...

But serious.. if you take a couple of shots an Mr. Watcher is there.. doubt he will hang around long.

Moss de Boss... Sorta

Thanks for posting that Lassitude. If you had not, I would have had to.

It is a great pity that once again, the actions of low-life forms (read scumbags) can intefere with the pleasure of others. It is particularly mean when so much effort has been put into something as is the case with Geocaching.

Despite the warning and the associated problem, this is a series of caches well worth visiting. It is an interesting, informative, and easy walk and the final cache is very well stocked.

The 'system' used by the perpetrators (outlined at the start of this thread) is apparently very common. I had not heard of it before and obviously, neither had their victims. So I guess it's a case of never letting down your guard wherever you park.

The guy with the mobile phone standing watch must have been obviously 'out of place' because at least one member of each party noticed him, but neither thought much more about it. Therefore I guess that if you think about it, and look around, alarm bells will start ringing. Here's hoping.

Great idea Mozzie, taking a number of photo's of the car park and those in it probably would put off most who were intending this sort of action.

Sorry if this seems like an ad for the cache, it's not intended to be.

Happy caching

Tim & June (Winchester)

To cache, or not to cache. That is the question !

Oh to hell with the work. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Lassitude:

I have posted warnings on both my Caches at Calleva (Roman Remains and Roman Coins).

There are two caches there. Darn it, I only did Roman Remains last weekend, I'll have to go back now icon_smile.gif .

Anyway, while I was there, there were loads of other people around all afternoon. If it was that busy when Tim and June were there, it shows the thieves had a lot of nerve and nowhere is really safe.

I like Moss Trooper's idea about photography.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

Operation Cobra

When visiting a cache in Hampshire about a month ago we had a chat with a patrolling police officer, he was handing out laminated cards to stand in your car window when leaving you car in remote car parks. These cards state that there are no valuables in you car. I guess the idea is to deter any would be thieves from being rumbled, or damaging your car needlessly.

The cards are sponsored by Halfords, Les Smith, TestValley Borough Council, and Hampshire Constabulary.

What a sad society we live in!

Sorry I don’t know where else you can get them!!!

Great idea to take photos of the car park, cars and people in it before leaving.

DJH

Security is a big issue in todays sociaty,,,but I don't think there is any deterance from it.

Put it like this---My Grandma owns an Orange Lada and some broke in her car which had one of these stickers in the window just to steal her shopping?? a bunch of Bananas and a jar of marmite hassent to add......

Basically whatever you do you won't get rid of it,,,, a theif is a thief a cacher is a cacher....unfortuantly we are prime targets icon_frown.gif

I like the new Forums BTW icon_smile.gif

Pid xx

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan + Pid)

The look-out tactic works on any scale. My dad used to live in Charlton Horethorne on the Dorset/Somerset border. The village had a spate of burglaries and it wasn't until enough had happened that they all realised there was a car parked casually in the village with someone sat in it. He was checking who left their house when, and for how long, and once a pattern had been established would contact his cronies who would burgle people, often fitting it into a time when people were away for only half an hour.

I think the police nabbed them eventually.

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

Its happened to me too now. This time in Notts at Haywood Oaks. Left my car in an official Forest Enterprise car park with everything valuable (i.e. laptop) hidden but forgot phone was in door pocket! Result two broken windows and bits of glass everywhere. And I saw the b***** but too far away to do anything about it. Someone else got his car number which the police are following up but there is all the hassle of repairs etc - not to mention a somewhat drafty drive home to Lancashire and a frosty reception from my non geocaching wife whose car it is!

As an aside, We had one crafty near here:

At remote carpark, he was smartly dressed and approached vehicles as they arrived.

Mentioned that he was security and was posted there in order to monitor the carpark (due to the recent spate of thefts!)

People now at ease didn't bother to lock valuables away in the boot and the small-talk gave him indication of how long they would be.

Guess what they came back to...or not as the case may be.

But then you get the upside:

Tourist couple had their car done over while on a walk. Decided to stake the carpark out.

Caught the lowlifes having a go at someones elses car later and beat the proverbial out of them.

....Oh, did I mention the tourists were ex Israeli army? icon_biggrin.gif