Brand New - 1st Post - Be Gentle!

Hi all,

After wanting a GPS for over a year, I finally took the plunge today and ordered a Garmin eTrex Legend Europe. I couldn't find enough excuses to justify the Vista icon_wink.gif Can someone please reassure me (and more importantly, my wife!) that this is a good choice? We have been known to get lost frequently when driving to somewhere new, so hopefully the Mapsource CD included should help to eliminate that a bit!

If all goes to plan, we'll be hunting our first lunchbox tomorrow afternoon (GCC674) - although if the threatened snow arrives I may well delay it!

Just wanted to say "hello" really. I was up until 4am this morning reading the whole 'TMA' thread and most of the posts on here too. Phew! Actually, it almost put me off as I do want this to be a family activity, and some of the posts over there were very threatening. I don't want either my wife, children or I to be at the business end of a baseball bat because of someone's over zealous protection of an area or site!

I missed the programme on TV about Geocaching. Does anyone know what it was called, so I can keep an eye on BBC Choice in case it gets repeated?

Thanks in advance - and hello again from a complete newbie! Please don't be surprised if I ask a million questions in the coming weeks! icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Brad

Please don't feel intimidated by us icon_smile.gif

The TMA thing was just a spit in a bucket and you would do well to read back through our posts and you will quickly see that Geocaching is a VERY family oriented activity.

We have a lot of family groups caching, Team Tate, Nia, Amy and Adams Dad to name three and if you read their logs you will see how much fun they have.

My family is all grown but I still manage to borrow youngsters to go caching with icon_smile.gif

As with any "Family" there will be squabbles but as you will see they usually end without tears and "Flaming" and "Trolls" are rarely if ever seen on the UK side of the forums.

Enjoy your new toy...Wash my mouth out!!! Your new ESSENTIAL. icon_biggrin.gif

The Merman

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

hehe! looks liek Jeremy didnt read the entire post....

quote:
We have been known to get lost frequently when driving to somewhere new, so hopefully the Mapsource CD included should help to eliminate that a bit!

They are getting Map Source with it I think.

Welcome to the sport/pasttime/hobby! be prepared to get hooked. The first caches are always the best..

Be happy you missed the program because if you had seen it you would think I was a little mad icon_wink.gif

Enjoy it and welcome once again.

Pid

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Welcome guys. Don't worry, we're OK really. We're all a bit strange but generally harmless - comments expected & welcome icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

I've been here about a year and the TMA flame war is really an exception to the usual run of the mill madness that goes on here. It's just a shame you arrived at the same time as the Anoraks.

This is a great pastime for families, youngsters & old Fa**s. It must be pretty unique that way.

I look forward to seeing some logs from you in Hertfordshire & Bucks.

Good to have you on board.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

Team Minim,

Includes Mum Dad, Mick 9 Roo 7 and Betsy 9months.

Betsy did her first cache at 10 days old.

We've never seen a bat weilding TMAite, although I must admit my Missus was a little concerned at the prospect.

It is FUN, It is for Families and once you're in you're hooked!

Cache the Bug-Geocaching

Hi again. Thanks to you all - you have made us feel very welcome, and laid our fears to rest!!

Now I just can't wait for my GPS to arrive tomorrow. I can see it now - "How do I enter those co-ordinates in???" icon_smile.gif

I'm already planning our first caches, and have some (I think) good ideas - but I will post seperately for that.

I think I'm addicted - already!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Take Care,

Brad