Watching the Watchers

Another rainy lunchtime discussion point...

I noticed that one of our caches had 11 people watching it and was really rather impressed until I saw that Londons First has 33 people watching it!

Is this a record? or are there more popular caches out therw? What makes you want to watch?

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
Originally posted by Chris n Maria:

Its not raining down here - its actually sunny (albeit rather chilly). Am I still allowed to take part in the discussion? icon_smile.gif

quote:

I noticed that one of our caches had 11 people watching it and was really rather impressed until I saw that Londons First has 33 people watching it!

Is this a record? or are there more popular caches out therw? What makes you want to watch?

It looks as though the London cache cache has sadly now gone missing (again?) icon_frown.gif.

I watch caches that fulfill one of the following criteria:

- I have recently found them having enjoyed a challenging hunt

- I have recently failed to find them and want to see if others have as much difficulty as me

- They are event caches and I want to see who is signing up, who enjoyed their day out etc etc.

Interestingly I have never watched a cache that I haven't previously searched for, though I know some people use their watch list as a sort of "to do" list of caches they are interested in visiting.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by Chris n Maria:

What makes you want to watch?

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Similar to Elliot really,

- Particularly interesting for some reason and we like to read others comments.

- The cache was a real challenge, For example "Wildcat" the UK's first (we think) 5* difficulty 5*terrain, and we were first to do it. And we like to read others comments.

- JAG008 (terrain of 5) which had a special note to us, And we like to read others comments.

- There is a travel bug in it. And we like to read others comments.

- Oh and did I mention, we like to read others comments.

We can understand why people would watch the Bug Hotels, but the biggest curiosity is wondering 'WHO' is watching your cache.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Tim & June on October 18, 2002 at 09:01 AM.]

I usually watch a cache after I have been to it, because I just want to make sure that someone else finds it after me!

I always have this dread of being the cacher who didn't quite conceal it well enough, allowing some thirteen year old little sod to find it and trash it.

So far however, my meticulous replacement of caches has left me with a 'nil-trashed' rating icon_smile.gif

I also watch, if the cache was particularly interesting or was particularly difficult, to see the comments of follow-on cachers.

Mark

----------------------

I was technical once

Remember that cache from last year where the guy in Illinois put out 100 bucks? He wanted 10 people to trade items that were worth 10 dollars or more and take a ten-spot. It was only open during the month of January (I believe). People wound up putting more money into it and he finally had 140 some dollars. At the end of the month he gave the money to charity. There were OVER ONE HUNDRED folks watching this cache!

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Weasel:

All very well and sounds like a good idea...but we work in £'s over here Im afraid.

Think your posting in the wrong forum icon_wink.gif

Pid

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

Hi Ben,

We really dont mind peeps from over the pond joining in our chats, might help us to also gain a broader range of freinds.

Happy caching

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif