Withdrawal symptoms...

Pharisee

It's been nearly two weeks now since I've been out looking for a cache and I have the distinct feeling that my blood-cache level is well below the safe limit. I intend to rectify that this weekend in the Spiritual Home of geocaching in the UK, namely Winchester. There seems to be more caches per square yard down there than anywhere else in the country (with the possible exception of The Hornet's back yard icon_biggrin.gif ) So… if you're out and about in the Winchester area on Saturday and you spot a scruffy ol' b****r in a camo jacket and a funny hat who appears to be wandering round in circles muttering to himself, don't be afraid to come up and offer him a beer; he doesn't bite. Well… not often, anyway.

Mudplugger…. I've just bought a Garmin GPS III as a backup for my Legend. (150 of our best British quids from here) Rumour has it that they are a good little tool and the feedback I've had from the yanks was all good. It seems that they hold a good satellite lock when all around them are failing. I guess time will tell. I'll be trying it out on Saturday.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

....Spiritual Home of geocaching in the UK, namely Winchester. There seems to be more caches per square yard down there than anywhere else in the country

You are missinformed. We just came up to your neck of the woods and managed 25 caches in 3 days.

In the Winchester area we only managed 2 or 3 per day. BUT see how you get on.....

If you are planning lunch in any particular pub, let us know as we maybe doing a couple of caches in that area.

(or don't if you'd rather avoid an army of kids)

Tech-no notice

I bought my GPS III about a week ago and payed £170 which I have to be honest I thought wasn't bad. I have downloaded the easyGPS software and found this site particularly useful when trying to identify my possible first cache.

http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/united_kingdom.shtml

I am just waiting for my in car charger and PC Transfer cable and thats it I'll be off.... reckon the first one might be Texas Connection as my son(5) would go for the Hary Potter owl big time.

Somedays you are a pigeon and others you are a statue !

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

In the Winchester area we only managed 2 or 3 per day. BUT see how you get on.....

Tech-no notice

Caching with children must really slow you down icon_wink.gif

I managed to find 13 out of 14 visited and still had time for a bite to eat and a couple of pints with T & J

Mudplugger... I tried out the GPS III this weekend. It was holding a good satellite lock in fairly dense woodland when the Legend had long since called it a day. If fact, as I type this post, it's sitting on my desk in the office with the Legend. Both are switched on, the Legend showing no satellites at all while the GSP III has a good lock on FOUR with a fifth just showing. Amazing.

John

quote:

I managed to find 13 out of 14 visited and still had time for a bite to eat and a couple of pints with T & J

Sorry we didn't meet up with you, rain and family visits stpped us.

13 is impressive, I guess the children do slow us down, but the other thing is planning. We tend to take just the GPSr and usually have not even viewed the cache page. With the exception of multi-caches that we print out to take with us. This can cause a major problem, for example '3 locks" but we enjoy it this way.

In fact this does make the caches last longer, 1 or 2 days caching for you would be 5 or 6 days for us.

Tech-no notice

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

In fact this does make the caches last longer, 1 or 2 days caching for you would be 5 or 6 days for us.

Tech-no notice

Believe me, Nia, this was the exception rather than the rule. By my haphazard standards it was a well planned and executed 'blitz' (if you'll forgive the expression icon_wink.gif ) on the Winchester caches. The rain was a problem, I got caught in a downpour on top of the viaduct with nowhere to shelter and got soaked. The trudge up St. Catherine's Hill in the pouring rain wasn't much fun either. It's not the way I normally go caching and not something I want to do again (at least for a while icon_biggrin.gif ).

John

quote:

That's a fact - on 23/2/02 (pre-children) we hit 13 caches. On 23/2/03 (post-children) we hit 1, although we have got that up to 3 caches on a good day!

But caching with children does bring a whole new excitement and perspective - ours were totally delighted when we found our first Mk III T&J bear on Sunday. Come to think of it, this applied to us too.

Dave

[This message was edited by The Wombles on March 03, 2003 at 02:33 PM.]

And ours were totally disappointed to miss the T&J Mark III Bear by 3 hours on Sunday afternoon (and Duncan had been sick all over the back of my neck in the car negotiating the winding roads around Hungerford!). By the end of the day they'd forgiven me though for taking them on a wild bear hunt and are now even more determined to find a T&J Mk II!

I can only go caching every second sunday because i have to work around my non geocaching boyfriend. However, i do escape some weekdays on 'study periods' from school to geocache! But right now i have flu so i can't be bothered to go looking anyway!!!!

Love Jaq

xxx

When you wish upon a star...