Thanks Pharisee

Ben Pid

Think Dan and I owe Pharisee a public thankyou for his help today.

We have been in the Isle of Wight the last couple of days doing a few caches and catching some chillout time from work...

We did the Vectis series whihc is an absolute shocker of a cache seies!!! Wont go into the details I'll let you read the logs, but lets just say its multi's like this that make me cry--- SUCH AMAZING locations, such blinding views in quite possibly the greatest caching place on earth...let down by either 1.) My brain 2.) Bad PLanning or c.) The cache page printing out the table to work out the answers incorrectly.....although you probably all think its A.... I can confirm that The Quintet of b4 us all got different answers icon_biggrin.gif

But cheers for all the help Pharisee we would have been stuffed without you and probably up some mountain somewhere dead..hehe.

This time "Age and Treachery" triumphed over "Youth and Ability" but whenever you need a hand with some hard manual Labour just gimmee a call...that is of course if I can cal you when the going gets tough with knowledge ;-) haha

Pid

--------------------------------------------------------

av-141.gif

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
...let down by either 1.) My brain 2.) Bad PLanning or c.) The cache page printing out the table to work out the answers incorrectly.....although you probably all think its A.... I can confirm that The Quintet of b4 us all got different answers icon_biggrin.gif

Er? What does

quote:
I can confirm that The Quintet of b4 us all got different answers
mean?

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

quote:
Originally posted by Motley Crew:

Er? What does

quote:
mean?

It means it was written by Ben. icon_biggrin.gif

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

quote:
Originally posted by Motley Crew:

Er? What does

quote:
mean?

It means it was written by Ben. icon_biggrin.gif

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

For those of you unfamiliar with 'Benspeak', a rough translation into the more universally understood gibberish follows :-

'It is quite true that two violinists, a couple of viola players and the guy with the cello on the number 4 bus all failed their exams.'

Though what this has to do with caching, the Lord only knows.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

quote:
For those of you unfamiliar with 'Benspeak', a rough translation into the more universally understood gibberish follows :-

'It is quite true that two violinists, a couple of viola players and the guy with the cello on the number 4 bus all failed their exams.'

Though what this has to do with caching, the Lord only knows.

bit early to have had a pint of beer john!

i'm still lost!

quote:

The Quintet of before us....

Thats: Pharisee, Motley Crew, SimonG, Merman and Omally....

All got different answers...

John told me that when you had completed the parts for North, South, East and West you all worked out the final co-ordinates seperatly and got "Different Answers" ....

...Sorry I just "ASSUMED" you would know what I meant...afterall I was supposed to know what "Traffic free Island" meant! icon_biggrin.gif

av-141.gif

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

How did Simon get in on the act? I thought there was just the four of us.

Wasn't he tied up in the boot? I was sure we kidnapped him just in case we got stuck on any of those cryptic clues... icon_wink.gif

Hmmm. maybe he's still there. Better go check.

quote:
Originally posted by Pid:

John told me that when you had completed the parts for North, South, East and West you all worked out the final co-ordinates seperatly and got "Different Answers" ....

We actually used just the one sheet, checked our answers using 4 pairs of eyes and worked out carefully any errors we had made. At some parts we split up into pairs to save a bit of time. When this happened, I think we did have some errors which we sorted out.

If we all got different answers, how come we all ended up in the same place at the end? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

Omally

Member of the GAGB

quote:
The Quintet of before us....

Thats: Pharisee, Motley Crew, SimonG, Merman and Omally....

All got different answers...

Hmmm ... now I don't recall that. I remember one of us with a sheet worked the answers and the rest of us checked them to correct any errors there may have been. If we had each got 'different' answers we wouldn't have gone straight to the correct locations without any false detours would we? icon_biggrin.gif

True...however the co ordinates you worked out in the end were not the correct ones because the numbers you got were not right... BUT luck had it that it took you to within the right vacinity. Luck had it by us that it wasnt the case..

I have emailed the planter my answers and he is yet to verify which answers we got wrong...I don't think it was any of them. I just think the decryption chart was not right on the print out. Lucky I had help to hand.

icon_wink.gif

Pid

av-141.gif

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Ben Pid:

True...however the co ordinates you worked out in the end were not the correct ones because the numbers you got were not right... BUT luck had it that it took you to within the right vacinity. Luck had it by us that it wasnt the case..

Luck? Utter tosh! Our final co-ordinates put the cache within a few (> 10 metres) of its actual location. This is confirmed using an Ordinance Survey map.

quote:
Originally posted by Omally:

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

How did Simon get in on the act? I thought there was just the four of us.

Wasn't he tied up in the boot? I was sure we kidnapped him just in case we got stuck on any of those cryptic clues... icon_wink.gif

Hmmm. maybe he's still there. Better go check.

Good god - I've just been released from the boot of Omally's car, where I've been trapped for the last month. Fortunately his grandmother was in there too, and I was able to survive by eating her. She was a bit gristly though - Omally, can you please lock me up with someone more tender next time?

quote:
Originally posted by Pid:

That certainly looks like him from behind...

I had no idea you were so interested in my behind icon_biggrin.gif

What's your favourite thing?

quote:
Luck? Utter tosh! Our final co-ordinates put the cache within a few (> 10 metres) of its actual location. This is confirmed using an Ordinance Survey map

You are mistaking what I am talking about.

I don't mean the co-ordinates for the final part of the final cache. I mean the co-ordinates of the car park that you have to work out by going to North, South East and West locations. I am sure the co-ords you worked out for the fional cache did take you to within 10 feet.

But the co-ords you worked out for the car park by working out the numbers were not correct....if they were I apoligise and Pharisee is lieing to me....but why would he?

av-141.gif

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:

But the co-ords you worked out for the car park by working out the numbers were not correct....if they were I apoligise and Pharisee is lieing to me....but why would he?

Hang on a minute, there guys.... This is all getting a bit out of hand. As far as I'm aware no one has been telling any 'porkies'. The numbers I gave Ben were the numbers that we calculated from the four virtuals. These were the numbers that I emailed to the cache setter to claim the virtuals as found. According to him we were slightly out on two of them. We were just 2 adrift on Vectis South and 6 adrift on Vectis East but as these number only related to the least significant figure in the subsequent co-ordinates they were easily close enough for us to find the location we were looking for.

That's it... no sweat, no lies. Ben had the same numbers to work with that we did. Now... can we all get back to doing what we do best? Err... I'll re-phrase that... can we all get back to caching?

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

I will also drink to that!

Recieved a reply from the placer today, saying he would check my answers...then we can see where it is I went horribly wrong. Will let you know.

quote:
We were just 2 adrift on Vectis South and 6 adrift on Vectis East but as these number only related to the least significant figure in the subsequent co-ordinates they were easily close enough for us to find the location we were looking for.

Although I have to comment....even these 2 numbers being wrong is a shocker and to me makes the cache unfair. Lets face it if you lot cant get it perfectly correct then Dan and Pid had about the hope of survival of a Polar Bear in the Sahara desert.

Pid

av-141.gif

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Perhaps the clues and conversion table really did suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did anyone think of that?!?!?! actually personaly I just put it down to us being really stupid icon_biggrin.gif Long live the Isle of Wight, even if metres of it are eroded every year. Rather than discussing the caches maybe we should discuss where all the people that live there are going to sleep when the final bits fall into the sea in a few (50+) (This is a random number, as I said I am stupid icon_smile.gif ) years time icon_wink.gif Anyone fancy a pint?

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk - Stash Notes, forums & Much more...

quote:

I will also drink to that!

Recieved a reply from the placer today, saying he would check my answers...then we can see where it is I went horribly wrong. Will let you know.

quote:
We were just 2 adrift on Vectis South and 6 adrift on Vectis East but as these number only related to the least significant figure in the subsequent co-ordinates they were easily close enough for us to find the location we were looking for.

Although I have to comment....even these 2 numbers being wrong is a shocker and to me makes the cache unfair.

Well said John.

Ben, I think you'll find a least significant digit 'error' (0-9) will give you an area of approximately 100 feet by 40 feet - quite a nice size for a small car park I think. Perhaps you should've removed your mask icon_biggrin.gif.