HIDING CACHES

Guest The Northumbrian

Guest The Northumbrian

What are peoples views on the hiding caches subject, as regards to how many you find and how many you hide? What would be a fair number found before you hide any? I do a find five hide one. Without making a big issue out it , there are some out there who seem to be Caching on a one sided way, which in all fairness , I think it stinks. open to all arguments and views,but on a friendly basis

------------------

The Northumbrian

Guest Kimrobin

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule over this. We are on 76/5 at the moment which is a 15/1 ratio. I'd like it to be lower but my view is that quality beats quantity anyday. The two we have loaclly have proved to be pretty popular and quite challenging even though they are both within 200ft of the M62.

We have another couple in mind but the preparation isn't done yet.

Also until the last week or so, we were the only cachers in W Yorks. Now that a few others have started, there is more incentive to go and hide some more.

Alex.

Guest chris n maria

My thought is that it depends - I was quite nervous of placing our most recent cache as it adds to a cluster of caches around Epping Forest and i thought it might add too many too close together. Also we waited till we had visited a fair few caches before placing as we wanted to find out what (In our opinion) made a good cache.

Personally I would rather someone put the effort in to 1 good cache rather than 15 not so good just so they are keeping their ratio up.

What do others think?

------------------

Chris

We are not lost, we just don't know where we are..

[This message has been edited by chris n maria (edited 04 March 2002).]

Guest LazyLeopard

ition up isn't putting as much into the game as working out an interesting and tricky cache.

There are other ways of putting things back into the game though. Improving the quality of trinkets in caches is one. Writing logs that are interesting to read (without giving too much away) is another. Adopting and maintaining "orphan" caches is a third. Keeping my hide:find ratio to a certain level is not top of my geocaching priorities.

Oh, and I guess I'd now advise neo-cachers to go hunt a good variety of caches before trying to hide any. There are enough around that cachers in the UK might reasonably hunt (say) ten or so before trying to hide their first.

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

[This message has been edited by LazyLeopard (edited 04 March 2002).]

Guest The Northumbrian
Originally posted by LazyLeopard:

So, yes, hiding new caches is one way of putting things back into the game, but just bunging a box with a few trinkets in it under a bush somewhere and shoving the position up isn't putting as much into the game as working out an interesting and tricky cache.

[/b][/quote Of the 12 I have hid, only two have not been as Qaulity ( in my view)as the other 10, but all of them are in a historic or area of outstanding natural beauty with good scenic views. so it seems to me that I should heed advice and just keep finding, But If I and others went on those lines , then those who have found a lot will soon find that they have very little chance of finding many more,I shall leave something on the east coast of Scotland at the weekend to give the scots a chance of finding some as there are very few caches up there at the moment

------------------

The Northumbrian

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
Of the 12 I have hid, only two have not been as Qaulity

*sigh* I was talking in general terms...

Some folks are clearly better at hiding caches than others. Some folks will also have better opportunities for hiding caches than others. There can be no "one size fits all" rule for hide:find ratios. In the past half-year (or so) the number of caches hidden and available (not archived) in the UK has probably trippled. In the early days, hiding new caches was more important than it is now. As the game develops, the quality and imagination that goes into hiding new caches will become even more important, and thinking of good new locations will become more difficult...

Yes, the longer I'm at the game, the further I'll likely have to travel to find new caches, and, sooner or later, I'll probably also find that an area will need to offer more than just a cache to be found to draw me to it. And maybe I'll visit some place that cries out to have a cache hidden in it sometime soon. So far I've only been inspired that way once in the UK, but I keep my eyes open, and if I see a good opportunity to hide a new cache then I'll try to take it.

At present my UK hide:find tally is 1:20, and my Western Australia tally is 3:3. Why the difference? Well, check on the total cache-count in WA sometime.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LazyLeopard (edited 04 March 2002).]

If anyone fancies planting 12 'lower-quality' caches in Hertfordshire, please feel free. I've done the 5 that are near to me. Now if I want to geocache, I've got to spend more time driving than hunting.

I'm just about to place my first cache & if it's well received, I hope that it will inspire others to place more in the area. In return, I would be happy to cache many more.

As I'm a newbie, I thought that I would ask that those who find it log constructive criticisms and share their wisdom so that we can all learn from it. It could become a sort of a primer to caching that everyone could contribute to and learn from.

What do you think?

Spog

Guest jeremyp

Disclaimer: I haven't hidden my first cache yet, but El10t and I have a stonking idea which will be published within the month hopefully.

Now for my views: I don't think anybody should feel at all guilty about not placing any caches at all. If you want to hide caches, great and I would encourage people to do so, but if you don't that's up to you, it's fine by me. Don't forget that hiding caches implies some responsibility for their upkeep. Not everybody will want that.

Also, if people just want to place a box of trinkets under a bush well that's fine too.

If we start laying down all sorts of silly rules, it's going to ruin the sport for a lot of people and discourage people from joining in. Can't we just relax and have fun?

------------------

Why use one word when two polysyllabic agglomerates will do?

Guest The Northumbrian

quote:
Originally posted by LazyLeopard:

*sigh* I was talking in general terms...

Some folks are clearly better at hiding caches than others. Some folks will also have better opportunities for hiding caches than others. There can be no "one size fits all" rule for hide:find ratios. In the past half-year (or so) the number of caches hidden and available (not archived) in the UK has probably trippled. In the early days, hiding new caches was more important than it is now. As the game develops, the quality and imagination that goes into hiding new caches will become even more important, and thinking of good new locations will become more difficult...

Yes, the longer I'm at the game, the further I'll likely have to travel to find new caches, and, sooner or later, I'll probably also find that an area will need to offer more than just a cache to be found to draw me to it. And maybe I'll visit some place that cries out to have a cache hidden in it sometime soon. So far I've only been inspired that way once in the UK, but I keep my eyes open, and if I see a good opportunity to hide a new cache then I'll try to take it.

At present my UK hide:find tally is 1:20, and my Western Australia tally is 3:3. Why the difference? Well, check on the total cache-count in WA sometime.

Good on ya cobblers,

------------------

The Northumbrian

I love finding them and love hiding them. I've only hidden two so far, one that has only had one visitor, with positive feedback and the other is not 'approved' yet.

I'm planning a multi-cache for tomorrow, just been and bought an 'ammo-box, so look out. these will make my ratio about 5:1.

The more interest i get the more i will place.

My feeling is that EVERYONE should place at least one cache, i don't care about ratios.

If you enjoy it you are going to do a better job, and i think QUALITY is important

Guest The Northumbrian

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

I love finding them and love hiding them. I've only hidden two so far, one that has only had one visitor, with positive feedback and the other is not 'approved' yet.

I'm planning a multi-cache for tomorrow, just been and bought an 'ammo-box, so look out. these will make my ratio about 5:1.

The more interest i get the more i will place.

My feeling is that EVERYONE should place at least one cache, i don't care about ratios.

If you enjoy it you are going to do a better job, and i think QUALITY is important

People keep saying Quality, but do they mean the cache location or the cache contents ,

------------------

The Northumbrian

Guest chris n maria

quote:
People keep saying Quality, but do they mean the cache location or the cache contents

IMHO - Location is more important then contents. But maybe I'm in the minority?

------------------

Chris

We are not lost, we just don't know where we are..

Personal opinions here, and June and I disagree. OH NO! not a domestic ! [ icon_smile.gif]

I believe that I would be happy to get 15 to 20 visitors to one of our caches before it is worn out/archived or interest wanes. This means that to maintasin a satatus quo we would have to place one cache for every 15 to 20 we find.

June, on the other hand feels that 10 is a more realistic ratio.

When it come to quality, we think that location is very important, ie. something else to do or see or a site which lends itself to the theme (as in Quantum Leap).

As to the content, we like to spend a fair bit on stocking it initially even though we know it will deteriorate over time.

Some people trade up, some trade down, but that's the nature of the game, it's just a way of giving someone something to keep to remember the cache by. We love it!

Tim & June (Winchester)

Personal opinions here, and June and I disagree. OH NO! not a domestic ! [ icon_smile.gif]

I believe that I would be happy to get 15 to 20 visitors to one of our caches before it is worn out/archived or interest wanes. This means that to maintasin a satatus quo we would have to place one cache for every 15 to 20 we find.

When it come to quality, we think that location is very important, ie. something else to do or see or a site which lends itself to the theme (as in Quantum Leap).

As to the content, we like to spend a fair bit on stocking it initially even though we know it will deteriorate over time.

Some people trade up, some trade down, but that's the nature of the game, it's just a way of giving someone something to keep to remember the cache by. We love it!

Tim & June (Winchester)

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by timp:

Tim & June (Winchester)

Why should a cache only last 15 to 20 visits? In fact the longer it is around, the more interesting the entries are to read in the log book.

In terms of quality, I personnally do not care what is in the cache. In fact quite often I don't take anything out usually because I have forgotten to bring anything to put in. What makes a cache for me is location and if it's not straightforward to find. I particularly like the virtual multi-caches a la Sherlock and Cluedo.

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by timp:

Tim & June (Winchester)

Why should a cache only last 15 to 20 visits? In fact the longer it is around, the more interesting the entries are to read in the log book.

In terms of quality, I personnally do not care what is in the cache. In fact quite often I don't take anything out usually because I have forgotten to bring anything to put in. What makes a cache for me is location and if it's not straightforward to find. I particularly like the virtual multi-caches a la Sherlock and Cluedo.

Guest page28

I agree with jeremyp.

I do it for the fun, to relax and get out with the family. The kids like to swap something even if it's 'cheap n cheerful' so the quality of the content's arnen't as important to them, I just like to find it, but the more pleasant surroundings the better. [ icon_smile.gif]

Guest page28

I agree with jeremyp.

I do it for the fun, to relax and get out with the family. The kids like to swap something even if it's 'cheap n cheerful' so the quality of the content's arnen't as important to them, I just like to find it, but the more pleasant surroundings the better. [ icon_smile.gif]

Guest kennamatic

o what they feel is right with regard to finding/hiding and contents then I'm sure there'll always be something for everyone to enjoy. And in the end, surely that's why we're all doing it, regardless of statistics.

Guest Kimrobin

There doesn't seems to be much point in putting good stuff in caches. Pretty soon all the good stuff gets taken out and they fill with junk, so some people just fill them with junk to start with.

I don't care what's in the box, as long as I find it.

Alex.

Guest Rich_Ella_Polly

The main part of the enjoyment for me is involving a 7 & 9 year old.

We are planning placing a cache on the Bath / Wiltshire border.

It will be well hidden but I want the children to make up the clues, this will probably make it easy for adults to find but not necessarily other kids. I always get the kids to try to work the clues out. I expect that quite a large percentage of the teams have children in.

Perhaps my point was not put across very clearly.

I said that 'I would be happy to get 15 to 20 visitors' if it lasts longer, then great! So much the better. Once a cache gets no visitors for a fair few months, then it has run it's time unless it is a particularly out of the way or a difficult climb etc. It depends on the situation.

One thing is for sure, if we want caching to grow in the UK then we must place caches. The ratio also depends on what is happening locally. In the north, there have been realtively fewer cachers and caches and to help the spread cachers have been placing at a higher ratio like Northumbrian with his 5:1 and all the others (mostly up norf) with between 3:1 and 6:1 etc. In ther South there are more cachers and activity is higher (probably something to do with the weather) therefore a ratio of 15 or 20:1 is perhaps more realistic in our opinion.

We feel that the content of the cache is important too because we visited one cache with some friends kids and when we found the cache it contained a lone kiddies building block and a piece of paper as a log book. We did not mind, but the kids were a little dissapointed and discouraged having sorted out their little 'treasures' to take as swaps. It is important to have the choice, if you don't want to swap you don't have to.

It all comes down to enjoying the sport/pastime. These are just personal views of how we see it but you must do whatever feels right, just enjoy it. icon_smile.gif

Happy caching

Tim & June (Winchester)

Perhaps my point was not put across very clearly.

I said that 'I would be happy to get 15 to 20 visitors' if it lasts longer, then great! So much the better. Once a cache gets no visitors for a fair few months, then it has run it's time unless it is a particularly out of the way or a difficult climb etc. It depends on the situation.

One thing is for sure, if we want caching to grow in the UK then we must place caches. The ratio also depends on what is happening locally. In the north, there have been realtively fewer cachers and caches and to help the spread cachers have been placing at a higher ratio like Northumbrian with his 5:1 and all the others (mostly up norf) with between 3:1 and 6:1 etc. In ther South there are more cachers and activity is higher (probably something to do with the weather) therefore a ratio of 15 or 20:1 is perhaps more realistic in our opinion.

We feel that the content of the cache is important too because we visited one cache with some friends kids and when we found the cache it contained a lone kiddies building block and a piece of paper as a log book. We did not mind, but the kids were a little dissapointed and discouraged having sorted out their little 'treasures' to take as swaps. It is important to have the choice, if you don't want to swap you don't have to.

It all comes down to enjoying the sport/pastime. These are just personal views of how we see it but you must do whatever feels right, just enjoy it. icon_smile.gif

Happy caching

Tim & June (Winchester)

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

There doesn't seems to be much point in putting good stuff in caches. Pretty soon all the good stuff gets taken out and they fill with junk, so some people just fill them with junk to start with.

I don't care what's in the box, as long as I find it.

Alex.

Actually, I'd say it's bad to put good stuff in - by which I mean monetarily valuable stuff. As soon as some people (not any current geocachers I hasten to add) find out there are boxes filled with valuable goodies hidden all over the countryside, I suspect we'll find cache pillaging will increase to the point where the sport is unworkable.

I think most cachers work in the opposite way. People often seem to put more in than they take out. For instance when I found the Ely Experience with Mookey, he put in several objects (I forgot to bring the trinket I was going to put in) and didn't take anything. Some caches I've found were almost too full to squeeze anything else in.

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
People keep saying Quality, but do they mean the cache location or the cache contents

Location, location, location! I really like caches in places that are interesting to visit, or at least take me into an interesting area I wouldn't otherwise have travelled to.

I also like a hunt that's a good challenge.

I enjoy hunting virtual caches. If the cache is a physical one then, once I've found it, the first thing I look at is the log book, to read what others have written, and to add my own paw-print.

Cache contents do make a difference if I've got kids in tow. They love the chance to swap toys. Even when I'm caching by myself I do try to trade (or just add if the cache is low on content) to keep the cache contents "alive". A fair number of the items I take in trade I'll put into other caches later on. Just occasionally I come across something that's a "keeper" though icon_smile.gif

quote:
I'd say it's bad to put good stuff in - by which I mean monetarily valuable stuff

Yep. Again, I like to find "interesting" items, especially when they relate to the cache location in some way. The "interest" value is more important than the monetary value.

------------------

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:

Location, location, location! I really like caches in places that are interesting to visit, or at least take me into an interesting area I wouldn't otherwise have travelled to.

I also like a hunt that's a good challenge.

I enjoy hunting virtual caches. If the cache is a physical one then, once I've found it, the first thing I look at is the log book, to read what others have written, and to add my own paw-print.

Cache contents do make a difference if I've got kids in tow. They love the chance to swap toys. Even when I'm caching by myself I do try to trade (or just add if the cache is low on content) to keep the cache contents "alive". A fair number of the items I take in trade I'll put into other caches later on. Just occasionally I come across something that's a "keeper" though icon_smile.gif

quote:
I'd say it's bad to put good stuff in - by which I mean monetarily valuable stuff

Yep. Again, I like to find "interesting" items, especially when they relate to the cache location in some way. The "interest" value is more important than the monetary value.

------------------

Guest Lost in Space

quote:
Originally posted by kennamatic:

....In the end, if people do what they feel is right with regard to finding/hiding and contents then I'm sure there'll always be something for everyone to enjoy. And in the end, surely that's why we're all doing it, regardless of statistics.

...Hear, hear

What sort of cache do people look for ? I reckon there are folk happy to do a longish walk, say 10 miles, to find one cache, others happy to do a short walk only, possibly with the kids. There are the historical sights and viewpoints and also the puzzles with or without much walking. The quality therefore depends a lot on what you are interested in. In any one area I reckon you need a variety to keep everyone interested and not just a few folk putting out their favourite "type" of cache.

Remember variety is the spice of life, allegedly.

Personnally I like caches in interesting locations or with an interesting theme. That begs the question "what is an interesting location?" Well, for me it's somewhere with a great view, interesting scenery, some sort of historical interest, interesting architecture etc etc.

If the cache is not completely straight forward to find, that's good too. For instance if the approach needs thinking about, if the hiding place is ingenious or there is a twist in the tale (the end of Tombraider 1 is memorable for that reason).

-------

jeremyp

We're going to need a bigger boat!

Well being a relative Newbie i read all this before i placed my own caches:

So one is a historic location that you can see and allmost reach from the car, the other is a 3 or 4 mile walk with fantastic views (for England).

I would appreciate peoples views on both these caches, as i intend to place a few more.

Hiding is as much fun as finding.

Hello Dan, I Like your sort of cache as its mixed

and always has some sort of reward at the end,

and There are some fantastic spots to place caches in our area, and I dont mind a walk or even just getting out of the car, as long as there is a view or a just a plaque on a wall to tell a story of some part of our past, After having a stroke 6 years ago Mrs Northumbrian was

paralysed down her left side, some times you cant even tell there is enything wrong with her, yet she still manages to do the long walks, the only problem she has is getting over styles, but if she takes her time she manages. what I was getting at in this topic was that some dont seem to be play fair , and only seem to want to find caches, if every one thought that way , then those who have only found caches would not have found find any.All I can say to their replies is that I am pleased they dont play cricket as they would probably only want to Bat and not do the fielding

But as they say it takes allsorts to make a world. I know a few people at the pub that go to the toilet when it comes to their round, to me this is the same thing.

icon_cool.gif

Hello Dan, I Like your sort of cache as its mixed

and always has some sort of reward at the end,

and There are some fantastic spots to place caches in our area, and I dont mind a walk or even just getting out of the car, as long as there is a view or a just a plaque on a wall to tell a story of some part of our past, After having a stroke 6 years ago Mrs Northumbrian was

paralysed down her left side, some times you cant even tell there is enything wrong with her, yet she still manages to do the long walks, the only problem she has is getting over styles, but if she takes her time she manages. what I was getting at in this topic was that some dont seem to be play fair , and only seem to want to find caches, if every one thought that way , then those who have only found caches would not have found find any.All I can say to their replies is that I am pleased they dont play cricket as they would probably only want to Bat and not do the fielding

But as they say it takes allsorts to make a world. I know a few people at the pub that go to the toilet when it comes to their round, to me this is the same thing.

icon_cool.gif

I agree with the majority that say there should be no firm rule. Let people do what they want and enjoy it.

I have to admit my ratio is very much weighted towards finding rather than hiding at the moment, mainly bacause I am relatively new to all this, but I still buy my round in the pub and actually enjoy fielding more than batting in cricket!

There are, however, four filled tupperware boxes currently sitting on a shelf at home and ready to be placed which should even my score a bit before Easter icon_smile.gif

El10t

I agree with the majority that say there should be no firm rule. Let people do what they want and enjoy it.

I have to admit my ratio is very much weighted towards finding rather than hiding at the moment, mainly bacause I am relatively new to all this, but I still buy my round in the pub and actually enjoy fielding more than batting in cricket!

There are, however, four filled tupperware boxes currently sitting on a shelf at home and ready to be placed which should even my score a bit before Easter icon_smile.gif

El10t

for me it's 3:1 (for every three i find i plan and place 1) - but when i have placed 4 around me i will stop and increase the number to 30:1.

i love placing caches as much as i do finding them but now i am moving to complex caches and remote cache so keep your eyes peeled!

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

What I was getting at in this topic was that some dont seem to be play fair , and only seem to want to find caches, if every one thought that way , then those who have only found caches would not have found find any

I think this is an unfair comment. There is no rule that says you have got to hide caches. I'd say the balance seems to be about right at the moment in that, if i never hide a cache, I can't see myself running out of caches to find in the near future. If you see hiding caches as a chore, don't hide them. But you obviously derive a lot of pleasure in seeing other people finding your caches so don't scare the new finders away from the sport by laying all sorts of onerous expectations on them.

For the record, I haven't played cricket for years, but loved all aspects of the game. The only problem was staying in for long enough to find out what batting was like icon_smile.gif I do not shirk my round in the pub which you will find out if you attend the Winchester cache meet - by which time I'll have at least four caches to my name.

-------

jeremyp

quote:

What I was getting at in this topic was that some dont seem to be play fair , and only seem to want to find caches, if every one thought that way , then those who have only found caches would not have found find any

I think this is an unfair comment. There is no rule that says you have got to hide caches. I'd say the balance seems to be about right at the moment in that, if i never hide a cache, I can't see myself running out of caches to find in the near future. If you see hiding caches as a chore, don't hide them. But you obviously derive a lot of pleasure in seeing other people finding your caches so don't scare the new finders away from the sport by laying all sorts of onerous expectations on them.

For the record, I haven't played cricket for years, but loved all aspects of the game. The only problem was staying in for long enough to find out what batting was like icon_smile.gif I do not shirk my round in the pub which you will find out if you attend the Winchester cache meet - by which time I'll have at least four caches to my name.

-------

jeremyp

No Jemermy, I am not suggesting any hard rules on hiding and seeking, Only to make the point that

In all fairness people should Hide caches as well , Not just find the ones that the people who properly support the hobby hide, by the look of your logs , you are an all taker but not prapared to give any thing up, if you want I can send you a parcel of stuff to hide if thats what the problem with you is, as for putting newcomers off

Well If I read your logs from a newcomers side of things , then I would be put off by your selfishness, reminds me of a kid at school who peeled oranges in his pocket .

icon_rolleyes.gif

No Jemermy, I am not suggesting any hard rules on hiding and seeking, Only to make the point that

In all fairness people should Hide caches as well , Not just find the ones that the people who properly support the hobby hide, by the look of your logs , you are an all taker but not prapared to give any thing up, if you want I can send you a parcel of stuff to hide if thats what the problem with you is, as for putting newcomers off

Well If I read your logs from a newcomers side of things , then I would be put off by your selfishness, reminds me of a kid at school who peeled oranges in his pocket .

icon_rolleyes.gif

Before this turns into another flame war, if it hasn't already, can't we just all agree to differ? The majority of people in this thread seem to think that cache ratio's don't really matter, that quality (location) is more important than quantity, and that the REALLY important thing is for everyone to have fun. Why can't we leave it at that?

El10t

Sorry, Northumbrian, I was trying to make the point that Geocaching has two sides: hiding *and* seeking. There is room in it for all of us.

I don't think making personal attacks on somebody who is expressing a point of view helps very much.

quote:

icon_rolleyes.gif

-------

jeremyp

Sorry, Northumbrian, I was trying to make the point that Geocaching has two sides: hiding *and* seeking. There is room in it for all of us.

I don't think making personal attacks on somebody who is expressing a point of view helps very much.

quote:

icon_rolleyes.gif

-------

jeremyp

quote:

.... open to all arguments and views,but on a friendly basis

------------------

The Northumbrian

Accusations of selfishness etc don't really fit well with the original request. Probably best agree to disagree now.