Garmin Vista

Rocky Balboa

Hi everyone. Anna my g/f is looking to buy me a new GPS for my birthday but we are currently finding it pretty hard to find any bargains. Just wondering if anyone knows a good place to buy online (email me if you have worries about advertising icon_wink.gif ) I am also trying to find out why exactly the vista is better than the other high priced gps. From reading webpages it all sounds like giberish to me (I am not that technical!) any help will be warmly recieved. Thanx, Dan.

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk

Dan, you may wish to have a look on eBay if you decide on a Vista. There is a chap selling them for £210 (+£6 P&P). I did put a thread up last month about this. I bought one then sold my Legend.

The best thing about the Vista is that it has 24 meg on board to fill with hi-res road maps from the Garmin Metroguide or Roads & Recreation CDs. The detail goes down to street level (inc road names). Very impressive, similar to MS AutoRoute detail. From MG UK, I have installed hi-res maps of the UK south of an E-W line through Lincoln. This includes all of London too.

These CDs have taken Sue & I down some wacky little back roads in Norfolk on our bikes - but it always gets us there! You do need a copy of this software to get the most out of the Vista (or Legend).

Sue & Bernie

It mystifies me why everyone has to have a Garmin. After comparing the various units for a while, we chose a Magellan Sportrak from:

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/

We decided on this one mainly for accuracy, but it has plenty of additional features and it floats (always an important consideration methinks!).

Incidentally, I ran a comparison here:

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/allprods.php?category_id=1

If you compare some of their info, some of it is inaccurate. The Sportrak 'does' have the trip computer data (speed, time, distance) and waypoint icons and names.

I also notice that the cacher with the highest number of finds in the UK uses one too. icon_wink.gif

The other best things about the Vista are the resolution of the screen - more pixels than other GPS's, the quality of the backlight, The nifty elevation screen that will keep you entertained on long walks, the compass which works independently of the GPS signal, The ability to sight an object in the distance - take a bearing to it - guess the distance away and turn it into a waypoint, the compact size, the dinky joystick control, the unscratchable glass, the regular software updates from Garmin that always seem to add a nifty new function, the sun and moon times and the jumpmaster screen if you do skydiving in your spare time.

Need I say more.

Unfortunately, it will loose signal under the trees and that Garmin map CD is bloody expensive.