Would you eat food found in caches?

Even though food in caches is discouraged, chocolate bars still seem to get put in with amazing regularity. No-one wants them, so they linger and linger.

My question is this. Would you ever, EVER eat a twix you found in a cache? I mean even if you were starving to death?

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

quote:
Originally posted by Team Galaxy:

Even though food in caches is discouraged, chocolate bars still seem to get put in with amazing regularity. No-one wants them, so they linger and linger.

My question is this. Would you ever, EVER eat a twix you found in a cache? I mean even if you were starving to death?

_Everyone is entitled to my opinion..._

Never, Never, NEVER!!

I can't stand 'em (Now, a nice chunky KitKat would be a different matter...)

Seriously tho' if it was sealed in an airtight wrapper, didn't look as if it had been there for a couple of years, and I was really in need of the sugar, I'd do it.

In fact, I was most dissapointed when I found the cache at Windy Hill to discover that there was no KitKat in there!

Regards

G.

I can admit to eating the KitKat at Bringham rocks , it had been in a couple of weeks but was ok. But No, food, matches, cig lighters Knives or any medication of any type should be placed in a cache, I once came across a cache that had Gaviscon in it, Stick to Trinkets and the like and everythings ok, or the odd £5 note if its one of those dirty ones that would make you feel

embarrassed to hand to a shop keeper icon_smile.gif

Nige

I'm a bit more paranoid and would only eat it if I could prove that the wrapper was still airtight (by squeezing it). So bags of sweets are great, but individual chocolate bars I'd only take if I was not going to get back to the car without an immediate dose of sugar!

quote:
Originally posted by The Wombles:

Aside from the health hazard there's also the potential for animals smelling the food/drink.

Quite agree... if I find food in a cache, I tend to take it out for that very reason.

I don't think I would eat food in a cache, even if it came from an airtight bag. Paranoid? Possibly, but I don't like the idea of eating food that has been sat outside for X weeks.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

It is fairly obvious that the people that have written on this thread so adamantly "NO", have never worked in a restaurant or confectioner's shop!

As is said on many a cookery programme "One eats with one's eyes". So be it with "food" in caches. Look at, inspect it. If it looks suspect get rid of it. If it looks OK and it is in a sealed container, then, knowing the caching community, it is very likely OK.

Can we not get these threads back to subjects other than common sensibility??

I was out caching all day Friday and the last two caches I did had Kit Kats in them and I helped my self. They were still in a sealed wrapper!! Any way I have an iron constitution!!

I have been to quite a number of caches found by a team who leave a Kit Kat at each one round the Yorkshire area ( possibly the same ones as at the Northumbrians cache at brimham rocks.)

Food stuffs are suposed to be a no no !

(Every one needs a bigger letterbox!)

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in Space:

Can we not get these threads back to subjects other than common sensibility??

Sorry LIS, to me common sense says "don't eat food found in caches". Why bother? I honestly can't see the appeal in eating or drinking something that has been sat around in a cache for an unknown length of time, left there by someone you don't directly know.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

I honestly can't see the appeal in eating or drinking something that has been sat around in a cache for an unknown length of time, left there by someone you don't directly know.

Rich

_mobilis in mobili_

Fine Rich, that is exactly what I mean by common sensibility.

What I am trying to get to do is get to others with the message:- please do not clog up these forums with such "sensible" issues

Neil

quote:
Originally posted by Huga:

I quite often leave bottles of water and Chunky Kitkats (which are in sealed foil wrappers).

People are too paranoid. What is there not to trust?

This issue has already caused problems - see other thread.

Tell you what - those people who like to eat food from caches continue to do so. I'll continue to remove food I find in caches and throw it away. That way we are all happy and are removing food from caches we find. No problem.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

Our thoughts on the subject.

When rats find a source of food, they often "mark" the area by urinating (ugh! not nice).

There can be few who do not know that rats carry and spread diseases. There is one disease (and probably many more) carried by rats in their urine. Known as Weil's (pronounced Viles) disease which can be fatal to man. This disease can infect just by ingress into a cut or scratch through contact with rat urine.

Now, if a rat smells food, even if it is in an ammo can, will he/she mark the spot even if he/she does not gain access to the food ? Then you handle the cache box, Oh ! A chocolate bar, how nice ! Mumch Munch ! Oh dear! did I forget to wash my hands ?

This is obviously an extreme scenario and it might be very rare, but it does make a point.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:

Tell you what - those people who like to eat food from caches continue to do so. I'll continue to remove food I find in caches and throw it away. That way we are all happy and are removing food from caches we find. No problem.

Sounds good to me. Sense reigns.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

When rats find a source of food, they often "mark" the area by urinating (ugh! not nice).

There can be few who do not know that rats carry and spread diseases. There is one disease (and probably many more) carried by rats in their urine. Known as Weil's (pronounced Viles) disease which can be fatal to man. This disease can infect just by ingress into a cut or scratch through contact with rat urine.

Now, if a rat smells food, even if it is in an ammo can, will he/she mark the spot even if he/she does not gain access to the food ? Then you handle the cache box, Oh ! A chocolate bar, how nice ! Mumch Munch ! Oh dear! did I forget to wash my hands ?

What about bottled water? Would people drink water they found in a cache? According to GC.com, it's a good idea to place water:

"Bottled water is a good alternative [to food]

and refreshing to geocachers)."

OK, so a rat might not smell water, but what about flavoured spring water? And from there, it's a simple step to Coke. And from there to food.

Animals will wee and poo an pretty much anything (if my back garden is anything to go by), but if it's all sealed....

--

Huga

"This is warrant officer Huga, of the minig ship Geocaching. Signing off."

Do you drink bottles of beer served from a pub? I have seen evidence of rat and mice problems in beer cellars. They run all over the top of stacked crates of tins and bottles leaving little surprises for people. How many times do you see people drinking straight from the can or bottle. Do you think all the bottles get washed before they are stacked in the beer coolers. Intersesting thought.

But then again the only person I ever heard of getting weils disease was a fisherman and he caught it from a cut hand while working on a boat in a local harbour, and yes he died from it.

Hear about the 2 blondes that walked into a bar?

You would of thought at least one of them would of seen it!!

Which reminds me...

Once upon a time, I left a can of beer in the freezer by accident (don't ask!). I was rather impressed to discover that the expansion of the frozen beer was sufficient to rip the top off the can.

Does this mean:

(A) I shouldn't buy such cheap and nasty beer in low-grade cans.

or

(:) Leaving fizzy drinks (or, potentially, other canned goods) in caches during extremely harsh winter weather might be a bad idea.

Hmm interesting... I would definitely drink a beer found in a cache, but probably would not drink a coke. Now I'm beginning to question my values! Talking of bottled beers and pubs, I once saw a dray wagon unloading crates of beer against a wall outside a pub, and this dog found the pile of crates to be a great relief...I've been a pints man since then

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

The difference between drinking in pubs and from caches is that pubs and other establishments that sell consumable products have standards of hygiene to maintain. If people get ill as a result of eating / drinking stuff from a pub, there is legal redress available.

Hmmm, actually it makes me think: if somebody places food in one of my caches and somebody else subsequently gets ill from eating it, am I in any way liable? What about the person who put it there?

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

surely the fact that you might catch weils disease is bad enough and it doesnt matter one little bit where the urine came from! A cache or a pub either way you are going to be seriously ill.

I once put a bottle of vodka in the freezer and it went kind of syrupy.After a day in the pub I went home and had Vodka sandwiches!!!

Hear about the 2 blondes that walked into a bar?

You would of thought at least one of them would of seen it!!

I don't seem to be able to start a new topic so I am trying to post here as it is somewhat in "thread":

Out caching the other day with my aged father, The Hornet, we came across a cache that was a smallish cylindrical, tupperware like, container.

On opening the said cache we were presented with the pointed end of a VERY sharp pencil.

I shudder to think what might have happened should a small child have opened the container and stuffed it's hand inside looking for the "treasure".

Could I ask all cachers to be aware of the possible dangers of such seemingly innocuous, articles when placing them in caches.

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in Space:

I shudder to think what might have happened should a small child have opened the container and stuffed it's hand inside looking for the "treasure".

Could I ask all cachers to be aware of the possible dangers of such seemingly innocuous, articles when placing them in caches.

I always break the points on any pencils that I find in caches for that very reason. icon_cool.gif

Alex.

---------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

I will admit there have been times I'd have given my right arm for a Mars bar or a can of Coke in a cache! I've never taken or left any food though, just in case.

When we had a rat in our loft a few years ago, it ate several non-food items - a bar of soap, a jigsaw puzzle and half its box, and a wooden boules set. I've seen all of this stuff in caches everywhere. I think the danger from rats will probably be there regardless of what's actually in a cache. Food just makes it slightly more likely.

However, I have noticed a potentially worrying trend lately to leave dog treats in caches. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs as much as the next person and they deserve a reward from their caching efforts just like the rest of us, but surely if rats/foxes/badgers/squirrels etc can smell human food, dog food must be even more attractive to them?

I'd love to be able to leave our canine friends a little something every so often but I'm afraid of the impact. Why would dog treats be considered OK - do dogs not get diseases from rats too?

I'll get me coat

I'd been thinking the same as MaryE just lately and was going to post the same thing but she beat me to it!... I can't see how we can quite rightly ban food but allow dog treats. It amounts to the same thing in my opinion.

Steve

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

I'd never actually differentiated between the two. Being partial to the odd cat treat now and again myself, I naturally lumped them all together as 'food'. Just assumed everyone else did too. I certainly wouldn't put dog food in a cache that I wouldn't put a Mars Bar in.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

[This message was edited by Pharisee on May 01, 2003 at 08:11 AM.]

quote:

I agree with Pharisee - there's no distinction between the two.

Food is food regardless of target species.

Rich

_mobilis in mobili_

Well you can eat doggy chews if you want to. I'll stick to Mars Bars. I think I can tell the difference. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.