Is it just us or.....

...has everyone who got the geocaching bug found that it starts to take over their lives??

We have only being caching for about 3 weeks & it seems to have totally taken over the whole family!

As soon as we got our hands on a GPSr, we spent every available moment caching. Myself & the wife even started booking days off from work this week to go! (We have managed 14 in just over 3 weeks)

I spend all my waking time on either the Geocaching.com site or the UK site (I'm an interactive map obsessive) & caching is now usually the last thing I think of before I fall asleep.

My Wife spends all her time thinking about locations to place cache's or making references to things on the TV that remind her of Geocaching.

(You wouldn't believe how excited she was when our cache was first logged)

After successfully wrecking very expensive walking gear climbing through brambles & over dead trees etc we now spend seemingly vast sums of money in the local army & navy stores, my 6 year old stalks the countryside looking like a small Vietnam Vet & we are compulsively collecting ammo boxes.

I have sewn a Geocaching badge on my caching coat!! (You have no idea how out of character this is - I hate badges, I think the're naff!)

My 12 year old has become obsessed with hill climbing...he loves caches on the top of hills, the higher the better (given my size & the fact I smoke, I think he's trying to kill me)

Whilst I'm talking about size - one great thing is that I have lost 1/2 stone since starting!

We also seem to spent a lot of time shopping for knick-knacks to put in caches - even my Mum is now involved donating stuff.

Is this normal compulsive geocaching behaviour??

Should I worry?

Please tell me the rest of you are potty too.

(Although watching the forums I have already drawn some conclusions..... icon_biggrin.gif)

We take our children everywhere, but they always find their way back home...

Yup, you got it, the rest of us are potty too! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not able to do as much actual caching as I'd like to, with just 34 in six months, but I certainly spend a great deal of time planning cache visits and new caches. And far too much time on gc.com, the forums, and gcuk.

Oh, and sewing cammo bags for new caches and collecting items to go in them and...

Bill

Sounds familiar to me.

There again to qualify as TRULY mad you leave your family behind and fly half way round the world just to look for plastic lunch boxes icon_wink.gif

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris n Maria:

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

As I'm currently unemployed with loads of free time ...

Sorry to hear that.

Does that mean there will be lots of nice enhancments to the Tripoint site? icon_wink.gif

I've been unemployed intermittently since last September so the level of activity on the trigpoint site is already about as high as it's going to get especially as I'll probably soon be employed again.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

Oh, thank goodness its not just me (22 in 3 weeks!) Its the sort of addiction you can only talk about to ather addicts; for a start, how do you begin to explain the problem to people who do not understand - a bit like trying to explain Morris Dancing or the British pantomine to foreigners? Yes, totally hooked, so any time you need someone to talk to.....

quote:
Originally posted by esscafe:

Oh, thank goodness its not just me (22 in 3 weeks!) Its the sort of addiction you can only talk about to ather addicts; for a start, how do you begin to explain the problem to people who do not understand - a bit like trying to explain Morris Dancing or the British pantomine to foreigners? .snip.

That's it!!!

If you follow Morris Dancing then that's way toooo nutty for me. You're on your own there.

As for explaining Pantomime ... Oh no you don't!

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz, Suni, Jack & Kashi:

...has everyone who got the geocaching bug found that it starts to take over their lives??

It's when you start working out whether you can do them in an hour from work... Calculating how long it takes you to get there, then pushing it a bit going back when you can't find the stupid box!!!

Richard

Ah, It's the Bennett family isn't it!? Thanks for visiting my caches, for some strange reason the midlands have been really busy with new caches and cachers. Good news in any case!

MarcB

"We searched for hours in the cache area but all we could find was an ammo box in a little hollow. Suggest you archive the cache..."

Well the only response to that is thanks for placing them MarcB!

We are looking forward to doing your Road to the Wrekin series soon. (maybe this weekend)

We'll be placing some more soon too. The area still seems to be bit of a Cache Desert if you look at Teasel's interactive map.

(there is only about 8 for Shropshire!)

we are pretty much addicted, but try to keep our finds down so we don't run out. I've taken time off work to find a cache, and got up at dawn before work to do one (fantastic!).

keep it up, we _really_ liked Baggeridge Cache Point - had no idea it was there despite living less than 10 miles from the spot.

go on... place some more icon_biggrin.gif

I have to say, we find your logs very entertaining too!

Get up before dawn!

Perish the thought. icon_eek.gif

I now stand in awe of Stu & Sarah, that's real Geocaching dedication!

I probably shouldn't admit this but my wife has had to beat me with a slipper on occasion in order to make me get out of bed...I like my sleep!

(She's so mean for someone who's so short)

Try Astronomy then: you need to get up at 2 in the morning sometimes just to see a rare comet! True, it involves hunting around in the celestial undergrowth, but it "just ain't plastic!" icon_razz.gif

No, geocaching is a lot more sensible, trust me! Just listen to Patrick Moore next time you get a chance: I tell you, Chris Packham is much saner.. icon_wink.gif

Neutiquam erro.