Winchester BBQ Cache Bache

Because Paul Blitz's thread got hijacked, I thought it would be best to start a new one.

Firstly, apologies to Paul, there really was no intention to conflict with your dates, it's a case of HCC having their resources available.

The date has finally been settled as Saturday 19th July and HCC have granted use of the barbecue and shelter for the event. There are loos, water and electricity at the site and the shelter will hold loads of people (I guess at least 100, more if you cosy up real close icon_biggrin.gif )

We will need volunteers for the day to help explain to Geomuggles about caching and maybe help them find a cache or two, which have been planted specially for the day. HCC are eager to educate people about the countryside and see caching as a legitimate use. This is an opportunity for us to show and explain to land owners that caching is non destructive and that we use the countryside responsibly.

In return for our help HCC have given us use of the shelter, generator etc.

We are also hoping to get Garmin or Magellan or similar to come along, maybe they would put up a prize ?

I guess the shelter will be available most of the day so if anybody needs a break... but the private cachers only event will be in the evening. As we will have electricity maybe we can organise some music.

A couple of cachers have expressed a desire to camp overnight locally. It might be possible to get HCC to allow an overnight stop near the shelter, otherwise there are a couple of campsites locally.

Obviously we will need to get some idea of the number who wish to :

1) Attend

2) Help out

3) Camp overnight

Could this be the UK's biggest ever bash ?

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

CAMPINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Yes most definatly me and dan are camping (in seperate tents!) Should be a brilliant weekend.

Hopefull the weather will be nice and not raining...will be willing to help out and maybe Dan and I could do a "Night caching newbies lesson" where we teach you all how you REALLY do it in the dark icon_wink.gif

Pid

--------------------------------------------------------

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Did I hear a rustling over there Dan? Nope its just young Dean!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

We will be willing to help out. Can help out with speakers etc if needed for the music - maybe even a microphone or two to reach the back of the crowd....... icon_biggrin.gif.

Would we be able to bring a trailer tent? As taht is all we have to camp out in?!

Sarah

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

We'll certainly be attending and would be more than happy to help out... also, we're a fully 'PDA/moving map/Bluetooth GPS' based team so that might be of interest to some as an alternative to the usual GPS hardware, which of course we'd be happy to demonstrate to anyone interested.

Steve

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

Firstly, apologies to Paul, there really was no intention to conflict with your dates, it's a case of HCC having their resources available.

FULLY understood, and NOT a problem!

quote:

The date has finally been settled as Saturday 19th July

Well, from my experience, that weekend is almost always a lovely weekend (that's guaranteed to make it POUR down, isn't it!!!)

quote:
We will need volunteers for the day

Already on your list, I hope....

quote:
In return for our help HCC have given us use of the shelter, generator etc.

EXCELLENT news!

quote:
We are also hoping to get Garmin or Magellan or similar to come along, maybe they would put up a prize ?

Garmin are only up the road, at Romsey.....

quote:
As we will have electricity maybe we can organise some music.

If messrs Tate have any problems, the church PA can be made available...

But to heck with the music, it also means we can make cups of TEA, and use computers (I can make a network available....)

quote:
A couple of cachers have expressed a desire to camp overnight locally.

I'm sure Dan & Pid would prefer to 'bivvy out' in the woods! Hey, we could do some 'Blair Witching' on them around 4am (that should give them time to get back from caching!)

quote:
Obviously we will need to get some idea of the number who wish to :

1) Attend

2) Help out

3) Camp overnight

Definitely 1 & 2. Michael will probably want to camp out, especially if its on site!

I can also provide a small gazebo, and if we think its worthwhile, I could ask the Scouts about using one of their frame mess-tents.

quote:
Could this be the UK's biggest ever bash ?

We can certainly try & make it the biggest!!!!

We are up for the all 3 with 2 adults 2 children and an over excited spaniel. This should be a fantastic opportunity to show what a great bunch of folk we really are!!

The dates have been marked in the diary as fixed!

DJH and Millie the sniffing spaniel

icon_smile.gif

I'm willing to be a newbie guide (well who knows I might look good in a guide's uniform, provided the skirt isn't too short...OTOH maybe not!) but the idea of me and camping do not go well together...

Lets hope its a scorching day. As for Dan and Pid and 'where we teach you all how you REALLY do it in the dark'...I don't really think I want to know...separate tents did you say, Ben? icon_biggrin.gif

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

I'm willing to be a newbie guide (well who knows I might look good in a guide's uniform, provided the skirt isn't too short...OTOH maybe not!) but the idea of me and camping do not go well together...

I reckon you'd look pretty camp in a guide's uniform.

SimonG.org - now with added blog!

Yes please to A and B. There's 4 of us - two fully grown Codds and a couple of little Coddlings. The 6 year old will be happy to explain geocaching to other 6 year olds - he's already done a Powerpoint presentation on the subject to his class!!!!!

Can't make the evening event unfortunately as we have a friends 40th birthday party to attend!

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Don't you think that sooner or later someone will notice that its a mobile phone not a GPS your using???

quote:
Originally posted by TheCat:

As for a prize. GeocacheUK.com will donate a basic Etrex (Yellow) GPS to the event to use as you see fit.

Mark (TheCat)

http://www.geocacheuk.com

Oh WOW !

Thanks Mark. That is very generous and will be well received.

I guess it would be a good idea for people to give you orders for GC.com "stuff" so that you have time to get a delivery in beforehand.

Obviously the evening bit is not a problem, but will have to check with HCC if they would be happy for you to set up a stall for the day event (if you are interested). It would be nice for Geomuggles to see what is available.

Thanks also for the offer of the fox hunt.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

Just got word from HCC.

Mark, you are welcome to set up stand at the daytime event if you wish.

Camping is normally prohibited on HCC land but they have given us dispensation to camp near the BBQ shelter (for those who help out).

It's looking good.

Tim & June (Winchester)

quote:
Originally posted by THE BRAMBLERS:

Posted by Team Blitz

quote:
I can make a network available....)

Also could you elaborate on the network idea?

Erm, well, whilst I won't be able to provide any internet connectivity (unless you happen to know if the BBQ site comes with either a phone line or ISDN? Min dyou - if there IS a phone line, then I can provide FREE internet connectivity), I can provide a network hub or two, loads of mains cables, network cables.

People could then come along and trasfer data files around, and that sort of thing.

Another thing that could be useful is, assuming there will be a load of caches to do, is to have PCs that can download the waypoint data to GPSrs: I have cables that work with (a) Garmin Etrex; (:) Garmin 12XL.

Of course, if someone had GPRS on their mobile, we could use that to access the internet!!!!

(Hey, are you guys areound over the weekend... if so, why don't we get together for a cuppa & exchange ideas?)

Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

Of course, if someone had GPRS on their mobile, we could use that to access the internet!!!!

I have GPRS that can be used on the day and a laptop & PDA that can be used to connect with :-)

They can also both be joined to a network as I already use a 5 PC network in my office :-)

quote:
(Hey, are you guys around over the weekend... if so, why don't we get together for a cuppa & exchange ideas?)

I'm available atm, except for Saturday evening.

WoodSmoke

quote:

I can provide a network hub or two, loads of mains cables, network cables.

I'll could bring a wireless hub if you like, so that people who have wireless network cards need not get themselves tied up in cables.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

*yells "Im Game"* and runs off to check his exam timetable...

*prays he has finished his exams....*

ill get bak 2 u.

its my local terrain, have you tried the post trail up there... might b easier if u had gps co-ordinates. trying to find colourd posts is hard. it takes 2 teams of 6 just to find about 14 in total and there are a lot more than that. good competetive element icon_wink.gif! maby not but i should b game non the less, hopefully for the lot. if extra camping space is needed it might b an idea to ask the scouting assocciation about pinset camp site round the corner... might b up there street geocaching icon_razz.gif

ill get bak about if i can make it...

thanks

bloke1987

And now for something completely different ... (cue the Monty Python music)

Via a contact who works for Garmin, we have secured not one, not two, but THREE GPSr's to give as prizes at what has got to be this country's Geocaching.com event of the year. These prizes are to be awarded during the HCC Geomuggle part of the day.

Unless he feels differently, we would like "The Cat's" prize to be a special at the evening cachers BBQ event.

Garmin are also loaning us TEN GPSr's to use for demonstration purposes with the Geomuggles.

Do I hear a standing ovation for Garmin ? Way to go you guy's, thanks so much.

Tim & June (Winchester)

A big thumbs up to Garmin (without advertising of course).

Regarding The Cats offer - I think this might be better placed going to someone who currently has no GPS at present (i.e a "muggle"), which probably doesn't include the attendees of the evening bash.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

Been quietly watching this develop and I'd certainly like to attend. It would make a nice 'birthday' event for me. Of course I'd be delighted to help with demo's etc.

I can bring my Laptop PC (inc. WiFi card), leads for Garmin & Magellan downloads, Memory Map coverage of the whole country, PDA etc., etc.

Not too sure about this camping lark though, are there any nice pubs in the vicinity that do accommodation? Alternatively I could sleep in the back of the Big Blue Cachemobile (Transit)!!

On a more cynical note (well what else did you expect?) with all this high value and very 'portable' equipment being used has any thought been given to insurance? I pretty sure my household content insurance would cover loss/theft but I suspect others might need extra cover.

Also could Chris 'n' Maria please be in charge of the weather!!

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hornet:

Been quietly watching this develop and I'd certainly like to attend. ..............

Well, If Dad attends, I suppose I had better come along and make sure he doesn't get into any trouble.

(I am a bit worried about meeting "that woman" that seemed to take a fancy to me at Epping, though...........) icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin:

Looks like we can't make it on that date as it clashes with Westlife at Sheffield Arena.

You are very brave to admit that!

We would be delighted to a) attend, :D help out, and c) stay over. We can also provide some form of do-it-yourself-try-it-out circus entertainment for the evening and if there's a bridleway about I'd love to do a cache on a unicycle icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

Via a contact who works for Garmin, we have secured _not_ one, _not_ two, but _THREE_ GPSr's to give as prizes at what has got to be this country's Geocaching.com event of the year.

Hey, it's getting better by the day. The heck with worrying about advertising: THANK YOU GARMIN!

quote:
Garmin are also loaning us _TEN_ GPSr's to use for demonstration purposes with the Geomuggles.

I was wrong above... it gets better by the MINUTE!

Paul

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

quote:

It would make a nice 'birthday' event for me.

How many people are gonna be celebrating their birthday for goodness sake. Off the top of my head, there's you, me, Mr Tate..... and I'm SURE there was at least one other.

I'm on 17th.

Methinks we'll need to plan a cake for ourselves!

Paul

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in Space:

I'm sorry to hear that. Nothing contagious I hope?? icon_wink.gif

It's called "GE-OH-NEE-KAP-COLAPSEINAHEAP" syndrome. Aparently once you reach 400 finds, your cartillage starts to break up. icon_eek.gif

The only other known method of contraction, is to upset June by accusing her of following you around Epping Forest after which she kicks you in the kneecap. icon_biggrin.gif

Under the knife in a months time, until then bears will only be placed in easy to reach caches. icon_mad.gif

frog.gif ribbit

Happy caching,

Limpy Tim

quote:

quote:

It would make a nice 'birthday' event for me.

How many people are gonna be celebrating their birthday for goodness sake. Off the top of my head, there's you, me, Mr Tate..... and I'm SURE there was at least one other.

I'm on 17th.

Methinks we'll need to plan a cake for ourselves!

The Hornet is %^*£$ years old on the 16th. Instead of a cake, how about a cache especially for the birthday boys (and girls).

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.