Sonya's Feet

It has been brought to my attention that Sonya is standing next to some co-ordinates in what appears to be some sort of school hall or similar.

I've put these co-ords into Mapsource and they appear to be pointing to a location in the North Sea, about 180 miles NE of the Faroe Islands.

Clearly Sonya has been visiting either a very large Oil-rig or the Lost City of Atlantis (which, you may recall, was moved to the North Sea in the '50s due to some noisy French neighbours in the South Pacific).

Anyone have any further ideas as to where that parquet floor actually is?

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

quote:
Originally posted by Sonya :-):

Went there in August 2002 to get a new surname. I got one.

"Why Iceland" do I hear you ask?

Why not?

Cool... I knew they were funny up there but I didn't know you could buy a new surname. How odd. icon_biggrin.gif

I can almost guarantee that had we managed to get to 71°10'N (71°10'21"N 25°47'40"E to be moderately precise) last summer as we had intended, then there would probably be a photo of me with my coordinates!

Stu

quote:
Originally posted by Sonya :-):

Too good Omally. That's a pint for you in a fortnight then.

I will hold you to that! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Stu & Sarah:

I can almost guarantee that had we managed to get to 71°10'N (71°10'21"N 25°47'40"E to be moderately precise) last summer as we had intended, then there would probably be a photo of me with my coordinates

But there's no airport there... icon_razz.gif

Long old slog up through Norway to get to Mageroya (just along the E69, as it happens icon_wink.gif)

Of course, I'm only guessing as my mapping software is pants for that part of the world! What's up there then? Last bit of proper land before you get to the North Pole or something? Don't tell me: more geysers? You don't have to travel that far to see geysers. There's a load round my way. They keep trying to nick all the nice motors on my estate!

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

quote:
Originally posted by Omally:

What's up there then? Last bit of proper land before you get to the North Pole or something?

Yup. It's the North Cape - the northernmost bit of mainland in Europe. Not quite true, since Norway isn't in Europe politically, or debatably geographically; and Mageroy isn't mainland, it's an island, but that doesn't stop them charging you 32 quid for a cup of coffee (I think that's what I calculated on the exchange rate).

Anyway, we hoped to get up there through Finland, and back through Sweden, but the ferry set on fire a fortnight before we left.

Of course, further north there's always the island of Svalbard, where you have to pay your rescue fee as a deposit before you set out from any town.