eTrail software

el10t

I was wondering the same thing. 200 GPS routes for £35 looks good value, but I'd love to know where all the routes are before buying. I might find that there are very few near me.

Probably worth trying in uk.rec.walking.

--

Cheers,

Stuey icon_redface.gif)

I've just bought an Anquet map cd www.Anquet.co.uk for the north of Great Britain. I think it's possible with this to draw your route on the map 1;50,000 and then download this route and waypoints on to your GPS. I'm not too technical and haven't read all the bumph so I could be hopelessly wrong. Any techie folk who have used this may be able to enlighten me. icon_confused.gif

I have the Anquet cd for the Peaks. You can plot your route on your pc and then download the route/waypoints to your (compatible) GPSr. You cannot download any actual mapping though but you can print out your route to save carrying large unweidly OS maps around.

I haven't actually tried following a route I've downloaded yet so can't say how well it works 'in real life'!

I bought the etrail CD last christmas. Overall I'm very happy with it. Most areas of the UK are covered. I've had a chance to try some of the walks in the Lakes and some on the North York Moors. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions that anybody has. Maps can't be downloaded to your GPS but I have an etrex summit anyway-so it makes no difference. I download the routes from the etrail program to my GPS and then back to my PC to view them on scanned maps with Fugawi. I can then view these maps/routes in the field by attaching my Palm 505 to my GPS.

Must say what I was really looking for was Topographical information for my eMap so I could see countours and land features other than roads on the display. Garmin were supposed to be in negociation with Ordnamce Survey last year to get the information to produce a Topograpical map set for the UK. Not sure where they are now but they mumbled somehting about the tail end of 2003 for a product such as this. I would not bet on it as I am not sure the processors in Garmin GPS units could ahndle that sort of detailed data. My eMAp is slow displaying roadmaps.

Cheers

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

Thanks for all your replies everyone. On balance I think I'll put the purchase of this software on hold for now.

Lassitude - on the topo maps for Vista, I thought they were available for the US so the processing power ought to be enough. I think the problem lies more with the licensing from OS. Hopefully some day they'll sort this out icon_smile.gif

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by Lassitude:

Must say what I was really looking for was Topographical information for my eMap so I could see countours and land features other than roads on the display.....

....I would not bet on it as I am not sure the processors in Garmin GPS units could handle that sort of detailed data.

I don't think that the LCD display will be up to it either. It's sometimes hard enough just deciding if the wiggly lines are roads, rivers or something else. I was navigating to a cache the other weekend while my wife was driving. She was not particularly happy when I insisted she take the 'next left' which turned out to be the Grand Union Canal icon_eek.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.