More cache hunts anybody?

For some reason I feel the urge to organise another cache hunt. I have talked to Monz on this and he is interested in helping out.

By way of a change I would like to do something quite different to the Levisham event in location. I have been playing around with the idea of an urban cache hunt. For several reasons I would like to organise it for York in the latter part of the year. My reasons are: it's easy to get to from much of the country, especially by rail, the town in interesting to visitors and by October onwards will be fairly empty of tourists. And lastly a purely selfish reason, I live there, which makes the effort of preparation much easier.

It's very early in the plan phase, but some of the ideas I have been playing with are:

* Mainly virtual caches, often featuring puzzles (think 'sherlock' caches for the sort of ideas).

* The caches are all 'themed' and often reference each other.

* Much reference is made to Yorks history.

* Can be done on foot as central York by car is not recommended!

I have some idea for special surprises, which will be quite unlike anything you will have found when geocaching before. I can't say any more.

So. Anybody up for it? Any suggestions or comments, especially for things which could be improved on from the GYCH?

Don't mention the mushrooms

Long time since I have been to York. Would probably make it a long Weekend as we live in Reading.

A provisional 'yes please' based on dates/times etc.

Thanks

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

The window of possible dates is limited by waiting for the summer crowds of tourists to calm down a bit, which is usually after mid september, and the Christmas shopping rush to start (which cynics might argue starts around mid september).

Weather is not really a problem in the same way it would be for the GYCH. Having been up at the bridestones in a blizzard, I think I can justify saying that.

If anybody knows how the hotel business works and could suggest any tricks to negiotiate a discount with a hotel that would be helpful. I'm assume some hotel might be happy to offer a good room rate in return for a whole block of bookings and a full bar for 2 nights, especially out of the peak season.

I have been scouting locations and thinking it out. But I don't have anything like a full plan yet, but as the caches will be mainly virtual I can do most of the prep up front, once I get a new GPS ;-)

I have not actually named a date, but my own feeling is that Mid to Late October would be good.

Now. Does anybody know how to blag hotels into giving a good room rate if we can promise a certain number of guests? We should be able to get a deal as it's off season and 20-30 hungry and thirsty cachers is generally good news, although the landlord of the Horseshoe in Levisham failed to see it that way. At least it's not such a long walk to the next pub in York.

It's that half term question again, In our patch half term is 20-27th Oct.

If you are trying to get discount in half term it will be a lot harder than either before or after, I would suspect that the Tourist Information in York might be able to help with:

a) Dates

and

:o accomodation, especially those place amenable to haggling.

Chris

Shares in Tupperware? Be a Geocacher!