How much info should I put in the hints

Deego

Have placed my first 2 caches this week. But am unsure how much Additional Hints I should give. Is it best to spell it out? i.e "its on the 3rd post from the left", or hint a little "try looking in the posts"

I enjoy using Caching to go to places I would not normally go to. But I know some people Enjoy the hunt. I know I cant please everybody, But just wondered

Thanks

Deego

------------------------------------------------------------

I am not lost, I am geographically embarrassed

www.briandeegan.co.uk

Its totally up to you how much info you want to give, just make sure to adjust the difficulty rating appropriately. If there is no clue whatsoever then I would like to think that a cache be rated more highly in that department, It drives me mad when i'm in the middle of a wood with no clue and its a 1 star! Some people like big hints and some don't but in the end its the variety that makes caching what it is so follow your heart!

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! ©

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk - Stash Notes, forums & Much more...

Yeah... what Dan said!

I think concise, precise instructions to find the cache are good. Those who like the hunt can do it without decrypting. Those who like the walk can do it with the clue.

It needs to be concise so that decrypting in the field is easier.

Whatever you do, don't give a clue about parking (duh), or say "under a rock" when it's hidden in a boulder field. Otherwise you'll end up on the "useless hints" section of the Hunt/Unusual forum!

As Dan said, it depends on the difficulty of your cache, but think about someone who's in the right sort of area, but just can't twig exactly where the box is.

Cheers,

Stu

quote:
Originally posted by Pooter:

My view is that the harder and more time-consuming the trek to the cache site is, the more spelt out the hints should be.

When time comes, we'll all be drownded, lad

Quite true , but even a 1/1 cache can be a 2 hour drive away !.. The intention must surely be to share the location ....give the player the option of opting out if the search is fruitless!

["Work is for those who dont have a GPS"]

I've taken to rating the cache without hints and including a note on the cache page that if the hint is decoded then the difficulty reduces to x.

Generally the hint should be pretty specific since people have probably driven many miles to get to your cache and don't want to go away disappointed.

I'd give a hint to a low-rated cache which is exact, ie "under the second bush from the West" (real example), or for a cache rated as difficult then I'd give a hint like "close to the fence" (another real example).

Dave

Founder member of GAGB

quote:
Whatever you do, don't give a clue about parking (duh), or say "under a rock" when it's hidden in a boulder field. Otherwise you'll end up on the "useless hints" section of the Hunt/Unusual forum!

I had to grin when I read the bit about rocks. However, when we started out with no maps and just a bit of software that gave N and W coords, the parking information was invaluable in strange areas.(Thanks Wombles). We have further used it (as with offsets) to guide a cacher through, what is hopefully, a nice route to the cache. These days, we tend to use maps so we don't start 'garden-hopping'.

We can thank Huga for this as we had to backtrack quite a distance with his 'Playground' cache icon_smile.gif

Andy

quote:
Originally posted by Team S-J:

It's a pity there can't be two levels of hints. The first being helpful but nothing too specific. Then another level when all hope is lost.

There's nothing to stop you putting two (or more) hints on the cache page. Just put [First Hint] at the beginning of the hint and [second Hint] at the start of the second hint. You can decode the first hint and if you still can't find the cache then you can decode the second part. The text inside the [] won't be encrypted.

John

And should you ask, am I at ease there? I'd answer "Yes. Oh yes indeed".

For my heart it dwells in lonely places, where springs leap down, where ravens feed.

And of course aviod at all costs providing a "smartarse" type of clue like "you shouldn't need a clue"

If anyone gets to the stage where they take the time to decode the hint, then of course they need a clue!!!

I'd certainly support the idea of having the double hint as Pharisee suggests.

Not that I ever have to decode the clues anyway, but I know that other people might icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Alex.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin:

Not that I ever have to decode the clues anyway, but I know that other people might icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Alex.

........no, but I bet the odd phone call in the middle of one of my year 10i IT lessons has helped....... icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

dodgydaved

I'm NOT lost, I know exactly where I am, I'm here!

quote:
Originally posted by Dodgydaved:

........no, but I bet the odd phone call in the middle of one of my year 10i IT lessons has helped....... icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

dodgydaved

Is it my fault that I don't know what a rhododendron bush looks like??

I'm a geocacher not a bloody botanist !! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, you got me pissed the night before and my head was still fuzzy, so it doesn't count. icon_cool.gif

Alex.

quote:
Originally posted by Slytherin:

Anyway, you got me pissed the night before and my head was still fuzzy, so it doesn't count. icon_cool.gif

Alex.

...............fair comment! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

dodgydaved

I'm NOT lost, I know exactly where I am, I'm here!