Stats updated

Gustaf

Having just taken a look at this site, it has posed an interesting quandry in light of what is currently happening with Mark's Geocache UK site. I don't know exactly how this site is getting it's data, or even whether it's approved, especially in light of the recent crackdown on web scrapping sites, and that according to Teasels most recent posting here dealing with sites such as this one is delaying the return of Geocache UK.

The question is whether we should just ignore the site, whether it should be left to people here to e-mail the site directly if they feel strongly about it, or whether you'd like the moderators to raise the site with Jeremy Irish here.

Regards,

Richard

quote:
Originally posted by Richard & Beth:

The question is whether we should just ignore the site, whether it should be left to people here to e-mail the site directly if they feel strongly about it, or whether you'd like the moderators to raise the site with Jeremy Irish here.

I think let the moderators deal with it personally

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

It's not a matter of win or lose...until you lose icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Gustaf:

I'm not with you there. I think this discussion is important.

I agree with you. Discussion is important. My point of view (which forms part of this discussion) is that whatever problems we are having with gc.com, whingeing to jeremy about other sites is not constructive. If this site is causing load problems, I'm sure jeremy already knows about it and is taking the action he deems appropriate (if he reads the UK forums he definitely knows about it).

That's my point of view, you are free to disagree with it. I do not wish us to stop talking about these issues.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

well they obviously don't scrape that often...I have had 45 finds for nearly a week yet only one person with 45 finds appears on that list, and it ain't me. (I have no problem with this, its just an observation that might throw some light on the amount of scraping they are actually doing)

Hmm. I dunno. This site is quite interesting (for example I'm quite intrigued at the number of "one hit wonders" users. Quite a high number I would say..

But I take the point that *if* this is one of the sites that is causing gc.com to divert attention away from the gcuk communications then I think we have a right to feel a bit aggrieved about it, well at least Mark does anyway. But whether we should do any more than voice *that* opinion on here is a moot point. I think we just do that. Voice the concern on here and leave it at that.

However, Jeremy, you mentioned "whingeing to Jeremy" in your post. I think I agree we should stop short of that, but it was also suggested that we might like to email the *swedish* site personally and complain, and that I think could be a good idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Gustaf:

I'm not with you there. I think this discussion is important.

Then as you run the site Gustaf, perhaps you can tell us how you manage to run these stats without problems from GC.com?

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

Then as you run the site Gustaf, perhaps you can tell us how you manage to run these stats without problems from GC.com?

Interesting point. Gustaf's FAQ is quite revealing in terms of his mindset.

quote:
Q: Will you send me a copy of the script of that amazing program you have?

A: No, for several reasons. It has to be changed all the time, to keep up with changes on Geocaching.com. And if everyone starts using it, there will be too much load on their servers.

I think that speaks volumes. icon_frown.gif

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

I'm very careful when scraping data off GC.com. My program reads cache pages in a very slow pace and only at times when the load on their servers is low. The last thing I want is to cause any harm to GC.com (or Marks site).

So far, I haven't been contacted by anyone from Groundspeak and noone has yet complained to me personally.

And MCL - you are on 76:th place, just outside the list (less placed than LazyLeopard).