I received the following message today:

Date: Tue Jul 23, 2002 09:46:26 am Europe/London

To: "'webmaster@jeremyp.net'"

Subject: Country Walking magazine

Dear Jeremy,

Country Walking magazine is currently researching a feature looking at

geocaching. I have seen your web page and your achievements on

geocaching.com and am keen to have a chat with you. I must admit I know

little about the geocaching subject bad hope you can enlighten me.

Yours sincerely,

Belinda Yallop

I think she must have done the google search at about the same time as i got my 100th otherwise I don't understand why she contacted me in particular.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

[This message was edited by jeremyp on July 25, 2002 at 02:36 AM.]

Country Walking is one of three main UK walking magazines, the others being "Trail" and TGO (The Great Outdoors). TGO ran an article on geocaching last October which is where we picked up on it. I can confirm that the .com address is from country walking having just checked an issue in the pile of mags. in the living room. Magazine is available from all good shops!!!

Jeremy please do the article, it will be great.

And I would love you very much if at some point of the interview mention Dan and Pid....Or even mention the Intergalactic Microcache, which you loved so much.

Thankyou

Pid

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan and Pid)

quote:
Originally posted by Pid:

And I would love you very much if at some point of the interview mention Dan and Pid....Or even mention the Intergalactic Microcache, which you loved so much.

How could i fail to mention the cache team that only believes in walking in a straight line no matter what fences, private land, golf courses, homicidal maniacs etc might be in the way? icon_smile.gif

Intergalactic Microcache is an interesting one because IIRC I was complaining bitterly to myself the whole way there because I had to *walk* so far to get to it. In fact I'm one of those cachers for whom part of the challenge is to get the car as close as possible to the cache and thus avoid walking. Country Walking magazine should be interested in that...

-------

jeremyp

quote:

How could i fail to mention the cache team that only believes in walking in a straight line no matter what fences, private land, golf courses, homicidal maniacs etc might be in the way? icon_smile.gif

Intergalactic Microcache is an interesting one because IIRC I was complaining bitterly to myself the whole way there because I had to *walk* so far to get to it. In fact I'm one of those cachers for whom part of the challenge is to get the car as close as possible to the cache and thus avoid walking. Country Walking magazine should be interested in that...

-------

jeremyp

quote:

And I would love you very much if at some point of the interview mention Dan and Pid....

I'll see if I can get you a mention in the next edition of Poacher's Monthly. icon_cool.gif

--------------------------------------------

The Glorious 21st - open season on Dan & Pid.

quote:

And I would love you very much if at some point of the interview mention Dan and Pid....

I'll see if I can get you a mention in the next edition of Poacher's Monthly. icon_cool.gif

--------------------------------------------

The Glorious 21st - open season on Dan & Pid.

If anyone's interested an article appeared in the October issue of Country Walking magazine. Issues covered were the Weymerks on the Southern upland Way which have been covered in another thread plus a bit on Letterboxing and a page and a bit on geocaching. I reckon it will bring a few more into the fold.

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Weasel:

Apart from the intereview with "HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED" ofcourse! LoL.

From what I can gather he was e-mailed at the same time as Jeremy, back in July, them having got his name in the same way as the BBC got it for the item on BBC World - by searching the net. (Put 'Geocache UK' into Google and count the number of times he comes up... If you put in 'Geocaching UK', 'Geocacheing UK' or 'Geocaches UK' you'll get different combinations but he'll still always come up on the first page)

Richard

quote:

Apart from the intereview with "HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED" ofcourse! LoL.

Was HWSNBN the only person they interviewed for the article or did anyone on these forums take part in the end?

Also, is the article available on the web anywhere?

Rich

mobilis in mobili

HWSNBN was interviewed along with someone else...I cant remember who the person was but there was an interview with one other person.

Would say it wasn't avaliable on the net and you should fork out 2.95 for a copy....not only does it have this article in it its also a really quality read with some extra stuff and tips on everything from hiking boots to the Peak district.

Great Stuff.

Pid

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

Just been into town and picked up a copy.

quote:

HWSNBN was interviewed along with someone else...I cant remember who the person was but there was an interview with one other person.

I probably could have guessed this without reading the article, but the other person in question is Tony Wale, also to be seen on the BBC Click Online Geocaching item.

You can of course, also read his brief CV on the caching information site that he and HWSNBN set up, which the magazine has helpfully given the URL for in the list of Geocaching web sites.

Richard

Well when you can't use forums to promote your business I guess you have to resort to magazines. LoL.

You are correct after checking the other interviewed persons name is indeed Tony Wale...the article in question they search for a geocache which isnt even found and as you say convineantly geocaching.com is placed at the bottom of the list of sites and HWSNBN's site at the top.

Pid

quote:

the article in question they search for a geocache which isnt even found

Fell foul of that old favourite - stinging nettles. Should write to them and point out that part of the challenge of UK Geocaching is wading through waist high nettles. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
and as you say convineantly geocaching.com is placed at the bottom of the list of sites and HWSNBN's site at the top.

Funny... in my copy www.geocaching.com is first, and his site is third out of the four. Guess your copy must be different. icon_wink.gif

Anyway I do think that there are other sites such as Mark's UK Geocaching site which would have been better choices, and certainly more useful! Although it's a good article, it's a pity there weren't some more geocachers interviewed.

Richard

quote:

the article in question they search for a geocache which isnt even found

Fell foul of that old favourite - stinging nettles. Should write to them and point out that part of the challenge of UK Geocaching is wading through waist high nettles. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
and as you say convineantly geocaching.com is placed at the bottom of the list of sites and HWSNBN's site at the top.

Funny... in my copy www.geocaching.com is first, and his site is third out of the four. Guess your copy must be different. icon_wink.gif

Anyway I do think that there are other sites such as Mark's UK Geocaching site which would have been better choices, and certainly more useful! Although it's a good article, it's a pity there weren't some more geocachers interviewed.

Richard

I was in London today and checked WHSmiths at Waterloo on my way home for the magazine. Couldn't find it anywhere - mind you there was a HUGE number of idiots in suits standing around the magazine section reading various mags in the shop without paying for them and getting in the way - this is my pet hate with newsagents icon_mad.gif

Rich

mobilis in mobili

I was in London today and checked WHSmiths at Waterloo on my way home for the magazine. Couldn't find it anywhere - mind you there was a HUGE number of idiots in suits standing around the magazine section reading various mags in the shop without paying for them and getting in the way - this is my pet hate with newsagents icon_mad.gif

Rich

mobilis in mobili

I was curious about which cache it was too. This one Coast Road seems like the most likely, as it is in the right village, and says to beware of nettles. icon_biggrin.gif

As to finding a copy of the magazine, it is one of those titles that WHSmiths seem to hide away - certainly I had to look a bit to find it. In the Havant branch it was at the back on the bottom shelf of one of the aisle ends.

Richard

I was curious about which cache it was too. This one Coast Road seems like the most likely, as it is in the right village, and says to beware of nettles. icon_biggrin.gif

As to finding a copy of the magazine, it is one of those titles that WHSmiths seem to hide away - certainly I had to look a bit to find it. In the Havant branch it was at the back on the bottom shelf of one of the aisle ends.

Richard

In the Aylesbury branch its just at the front with all the mountain biking magazines and stuff...in a sellophane cover with sum huge catalogue on the Wye Valley within it! Thats my pet hate of Magazines,,,,,although if they were all like it then noone could stand and read magazines in Newsagents, because I dont find it annoying I just it really scabby!

Incidently theres a useful article on GPS's in the magazine, not that it isnt info you cant get on the net but it was enlightneing to know GPS's do have other uses other than caching.

Its amazing to think people do actually use them to navigate there way on walks....LoL...I always knew the routes function on my GPS had a function icon_rolleyes.gif hehe.

Pid

In the Aylesbury branch its just at the front with all the mountain biking magazines and stuff...in a sellophane cover with sum huge catalogue on the Wye Valley within it! Thats my pet hate of Magazines,,,,,although if they were all like it then noone could stand and read magazines in Newsagents, because I dont find it annoying I just it really scabby!

Incidently theres a useful article on GPS's in the magazine, not that it isnt info you cant get on the net but it was enlightneing to know GPS's do have other uses other than caching.

Its amazing to think people do actually use them to navigate there way on walks....LoL...I always knew the routes function on my GPS had a function icon_rolleyes.gif hehe.

Pid

quote:

Agreed.

I used to work at a train station magazine shop, and the number of people that came in to read the newspapers, then leave them in a mess on the floor was ridiculous.

But I haven't managed to find a copy of Country Walking yet. I haven't been to town to look in WHSmiths, and it isn't stocked in Tesco's or the local One-Stop.

Looking forward to reading it when I do get a copy though.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

quote:
Richard & Beth wrote

I was curious about which cache it was too. This one Coast Road seems like the most likely, as it is in the right village, and says to beware of nettles.

I have been to this cache and I expect it is the one. But the pictures are not of anywhere near the cache, and the bit about stepping over a sheer drop is a little far fetched.

naffita

Originally posted by Richard & Beth:

I was curious about which cache it was too. This one http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=9970 seems like the most likely, as it is in the right village, and says to beware of nettles. icon_biggrin.gif

If it is my cache `The Coast Road` Kelling then I doubt if they actually tried to find it as only a few small nettles have grown this year plus its quite obvious at the cache site as to were the cache is hidden, also I`m sure they would have mentioned the Bracken which was covering part the pathway.

Johnty

[This message was edited by Johnty on October 10, 2002 at 03:36 PM.]

Bought mag today, yes it is The Coast Road cache, but the pictures are wrong the three showing girl with GPS are not near this cache at all, and the one of the view was not taken this year as the Water Meadow has had no water in since the spring, the Ferns are mentioned, I suspect someone at the mag has walked the route in the past as its popular with walkers.

Johnty