Putting estimated time on a cache page

Had an idea. How about cache owners putting on their cache page how long they think the AVERAGE person should allow to complete the cache (not including looking for the cache)? I'm just talking about a guide on how long it would take to walk from the nearest/recommended parking point to the cache and back. So that when plan a days caching they know roughly how many they can fit in.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Fantastic Idea. I think the only way it could work if it was a personal thing. A bit like saying which county the cache is in the title of the cache.

There have been several I have completed which I thought would take an hour or maybe two at a push, but actually took a lot longer. (Im refering to one in Mansfield.)

Knowing how long on average a cache should take would certainly help us when we go caching.

I might even adopt the idea now and start puting it on my cache pages.

Thanks for a fab idea. icon_smile.gif

Onwards and upwards. Never retreat, never surrender.

I generally give the distance on foot from the recommended parking place to the cache, with a comment about the terrain. For example, 'It's about three quarters of a mile and mostly uphill'.

But this sounds like a good idea. I'll be checking one of my caches this week, unless anyone finds it in the meantime. I'll time the walk and put it on the page, then do the same with the others when I next visit them.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
Originally posted by Stu & Sarah:

I think distance and terrain comments are probably much more meaningful than an average time. I'd love to see '2 miles on the flat' or '0.6 miles over a stupidly big hill' than 'an hour'.

Some of us really are very slow, y'know icon_smile.gif

Stu

Why not both sets of figures?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Trouble is, sometimes the cache owner doesn't want you to know how feindish he/she is being to you.

There is one cache which shall remain nameless, that once you have the clues in hand you find it is a two mile walk to teh cache, with no hope of parking any closer. Evil or wot? But thats the point. The cache owner *wants* to let you suffer. Saying the cache is two miles walk after an hour's searching for clues would rather give the game away.

On the other hand, I always have tried to say on my caches how easy/how long they should take, mainly because I *don't* like nasty surprises. All mine so far can be done in under 15 minutes (EACH!!)

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Maybe (for non-fiendish caches at least) we should say how long it took us to find the cache in each of our logs?

This does have the advantage that it'd include all the actual finding of the cache, and also that you could get more than one opinion on each cache. I'm sure that, with lightweight shoes on, I could probably do my most difficult cache in about 20mins, but I'd advise visitors to leave themselves a little longer. icon_smile.gif

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

I could probably do my most difficult cache in about 20mins, but I'd advise visitors to leave themselves a little longer. icon_smile.gif

Grinning for 'ere to 'ere in 20 minutes? That would take some doing.

I used to download my trail and find out my CTC (car to car) time for caches that I did, but I suppose as I move at about a quarter of the speed of Teasel (even when he has a baby carrier on his back) those kind of timings depend a lot on the physical capabilites of each cacher.

Not sure if that makes sense but it did when I typed it.

Alex.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

quote:
Originally posted by Mr & Mrs Hedgehog:

Had an idea. How about cache owners putting on their cache page how long they think the AVERAGE person should allow to complete the cache (not including looking for the cache)?

I actually find it difficult to estimate how long someone will take to find my caches (heck, ask anyone who did my recent night-cache!!!). Ok, if it's a simple "start here and walk there" cache, then you can time your own walking, but if it's more than that (eg looking for clues on the way) then the time taken is a lot harder to guess... after all, you KNOW the answers already!!!

But I like the idea of the first couple of finders giving a hint.

Paul

Another proud member of the GAGB!

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

but if it's more than that (eg looking for clues on the way) then the time taken is a lot harder to guess...

...and if it's one of your particularly evil multicaches with clues like "at the last cache, you should have spotted...", well, better take a tent and a sleeping bag just in case! icon_wink.gif

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.