Hornet reaches 400 caches

Subarite

Well done on reaching 400 caches. The trip to California has really piled on the cache count icon_smile.gif.

I guess the target of 1000 no longer looks impossible icon_wink.gif.

What do you think of the caches in California compared to the UK.

Andy.

----------------------------------------

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. - Isaac Asimov

Thanks so much for all your congrats etc. As one or two of you noticed I had to pop over to California to get my total moving again icon_wink.gif Let's hope all of those Ammo boxes as supplied by Hornet Inc. start showing up in Southern England soon (suitably re-painted) or who knows where I'll have to go next in my never ending quest to reach Slytherin's huge total.

I must admit that I'd set myself a personal target of reaching 350 on my first anniversary of geocaching (today) but when I realised 'The Big One' was achievable I really went for it in California. I actually got 73 'hits' out of 76 attempts.

It was very interesting to contrast US caches with those in the UK. I found a lot of differences and a lot of similarities. Bearing in mind the great differences in terrain (from the streets of San Francisco, to the wide open spaces near Sacramento to the mountains of the Sierra Nevada) I suppose that's not surprising.

The biggest surprise was that given the wide open spaces and vast area of countryside they have, it is good old UK that has by far the better cache locations given our vast network of public footpaths. They have to rely on placing caches in public parks and recreation areas. That's not to say they don't have good locations, some of the ones I found were fabulous, it's just that size for size we have a bigger choice.

I did find that their urban caches tended either to be micros or virtuals. Also the 'normal' sized ones tended to be in less interesting places - again due to limitations in possible locations.

In contrast, once you get out into the mountains and national parks the locations are almost all superb. The walking distances involved range from a feww hundred feet to several miles (not that I did any really long ones - lack of time you know icon_wink.gif)

Cache containers are very similar to ours - the usual mix of tupperware & ammo boxes. Contents however tended to be 'cheaper' than many I've seen here. There were a lot of VERY cheap plastic toys around. Again there were honourable exceptions but overall I got the impression that UK caches were 'worth a bit more' in monetary terms. There were few tinned goods (please note D&P) although I did come across one genuine tin of Spam!!

All in all though I felt very much on familiar territory and would recommend a similar trip to anybody. I had a great time and even joined in one of their get togethers (thanks Putt). You'll be pleased to know that the 50 or so Sacramento area cachers were exactly the same mix of weird and wonderful people as we get here icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

I managed to pick up about 7 travel bugs which I hope to place soon so be sure to look out for them and help them on their way.

Cheers, Peter

p.s. Oh yes - I had one GREAT disappointment. I missed out on getting a T&J Bear travel bug by just a couple of hours icon_frown.gificon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:

The biggest surprise was that given the wide open spaces and vast area of countryside they have, it is good old UK that has by far the better cache locations given our vast network of public footpaths. They have to rely on placing caches in public parks and recreation areas.....

....All in all though I felt very much on familiar territory and would recommend a similar trip to anybody.

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

I was unable to do many caches in the States on my last trip due to other commitments. (What could be more important I hear you say!) However I totally agree with Peter that the caches I did were mostly in well laid out parks.

Most of the caches involve a short walk along gravelled paths to a box that is only feet from the walkway. I did enjoy this but it is not quite the same as tramping through the British countryside up to your ankles in mud icon_wink.gif

I shall be doing tons more caching in April when I go, but not I fear anywhere close to Hornets total. I will be happy to do a dozen or so.

Well done Peter for a superb example.

Merman

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by conedxf & family:

Whats the target for your second anniversary ?

Best wishes

Mark & family

Proably to get a REAL life! icon_wink.gif

you did, in 7 *days*, more than I have ever done in 9 *months*

My ghast has not been quite so flabbered for a very long time...

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....