Approvers and multi location caches

Pharisee

This is really directed at Mr Eckington and Mr Lactodorum but I think the answer, which I'm sure will be forthcoming, will be of interest to all.

If I were to submit a new multi-location cache for approval you would, quite rightly in my opinion, ask me for the location of the final cache so that they could then check that it doesn't contravene the 0.1 mile rule.

OK... my question is this... Do you keep a record/database of these final locations so that you can check any future cache against them as well as against the 'published' co-ordinates listed on G.COM?

John

And should you ask, am I at ease there? I'd answer Yes oh yes indeed.

For my heart it dwells in lonely places, where springs leap down, where ravens feed.

Hi John,

First and easy answer, No, but I see your point and we ought to.

Second answer, when I asked for the co-ords by e-mail I kept the replies filed away on the depths of my hard drive where they still reside.

However, now many of you use the reviewer's notes space on the cache submission page, or post a note on the cache page itself, or leave a note within the text to be deleted later, the simple answer is also No.

I can see how important such a database would be, but I can also see that it would begin to make the process of approval even more complicated. I would have to put the final co-ords supplied by the setter through the hide and seek a cache routine to check proximities (which I do now obviously), then I would have to check the co-ords against the database and find some way of deciding if they were within the said 580ft. I am not literate enough to be able to write that sort of routine. (Could you set it up for a spreadsheet in Excel perhaps?)

Similarly, it could also be argued that I should do a proximity check on each stage of a multi (as I think some approvers in other areas may do) and possibly not allow a sub-stage to be within 0.1 miles of any other cache or sub-stage, and then keep a database of those details. (I mention this because when I was checking out a multi the other day, for my use as another person, I found that one of the sub-stages was within 213ft of an existing cache)(and to answer your next questions, No I do not take "secret" details with me when caching as another person and No I do not have the mental capacity to remember all the "secret" details I am entrusted with!)

So in summary:

No I don't (cant answer for my colleague though).

Yes I can see the relevance.

It could complicate the approval process quite considerably I feel.

Cheers and Cache Well,

Eckington

Does it really matter? Cant help feeling, that although there must be guidance about placing caches, and that there must be persons in charge to approve them, that the system cannot be completely watertight. Its only a hobby after all.

I couldn't believe how anxious some people were getting on another forum about their missing caches in the New Forest, and were even wanting to know how they could go about asking for them to be returned to them. They are only plastic boxes with not very valuable things inside them.

quote:
Originally posted by Firth of Forth:

Does it really matter?

In the great scheme of things, probably not.

I just wanted to make a posting to check out my sig lines icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

John

For my heart it dwells in lonely places, where springs leap down, where ravens feed.

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

quote:
Originally posted by Firth of Forth:

Does it really matter?

In the great scheme of things, probably not.

I just wanted to make a posting to check out my sig lines icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

John

.........and for that I beared my approver's soul!!! tongue.giftongue.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
DEEGO wrote:

while we are on the subject (if indeed we are) why is there a 0.1 mile rule? I don't get it at all 0.5 of a mile or more I could see (not saying it SHOULD be more), but why 0.1? it hardly seems worth it

I believe it's so you don't find the wrong cache by accident - don't laugh, it's happened!

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
Originally posted by DEEGO:

while we are on the subject (if indeed we are) why is there a 0.1 mile rule? I don't get it at all 0.5 of a mile or more I could see (not saying it SHOULD be more), but why 0.1? it hardly seems worth it

Yeah, it seems a pretty poor way to prevent a proliferation of caches in a small area, as you could still place 100 caches per square mile! A "no more than 5 existing caches within a mile" rule might be a better way to go?

As for finding caches by accident - if you're at the "head down, staring at the GPS, poking around in hollows" stage of the hunt, I'd hope you're closer than 160m from the coords!!!

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

quote:
Originally posted by DEEGO:

Ahh,

But take a read of the various threads about it. You will invariably find an American *****ing about it. Its one of those things I'll never understand - why 0.1 of a mile should be such a problem in the USA - after all its huge! We seem to manage it OK in these crowded little islands, yet it seems to be too hard when you have an absolutly mahosive area...too weird.

Chris

If only life had an undo button....

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
Originally posted by Bexy Bear & Tiger Tash:

NattyB: I do believe you're the same person who complained about reading "dog ****" (yes, they are stars this time) in the Hyde's Seek cache. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=84304

Hypocrite!

Sorry if you think I'm a hypocrite... but when driving around the country I wouldn't cover my child's eyes when seeing signs to any of the towns mentioned in this thread. I would, however, not be happy if my kid saw what you originally put in the log. This is why I asked you to edit the wording.

Cheers,

Emily & Neil

Cor, go away for a few days and when you get back there's so much to get through bad_boy_a.gif

Just to get boring and pull this back on thread I'd like to reiterate what Eckington has said. When I'm reviewing new caches I take much the same approach as he does. Yes I do a 'nearest caches' check and I also do a quick visual check on Memory Map, where I've got all UK caches displayed, just to eyeball the nearby cache density.

At the end of the day though, I too don't keep a list of intermediate points so I will err on the side of allowing the cache rather than the other way round.

Finally to pull the thread back off topic, I've encountered auto censors before when sending a (legitimate) e-mail to someone for work purposes mentioning that well known Cheshire town Chorlton-cum-Hardy.

------------------------------

Chill out - I'm doing my best!

quote:
Originally posted by Lactodorum:

Finally to pull the thread back off topic,

Oh Goody!

quote:
I've encountered auto censors before when sending a (legitimate) e-mail to someone for work purposes mentioning that well known Cheshire town Chorlton-cum-Hardy.

A friend of mine works for a well-known techno company. After they installed their first attempt at an auto-censor, one of the bosses - who has the same surname as the Director General of the BBC - complained that emails sent to him weren't getting through...

My first encounter with an auto censor was when mentioning the author of "Oliver Twist" by name.

Cache on...

Paul

A member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain