Secede from "United Kingdom" classification.

We are all currently aware of the on going debate over the possible establishment of “The Geocaching Association of Great Britain”. In the course of the discussion on these forums, not only have a lot of feathers been ruffled, but an important point was raised. That point is “The Geocaching Association of Great Britain” or any other similar singular entity, which proposes to represent geocaching throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, would be dominated by geocachers from England, simply due to the larger population.

This English domination of any organisation representing “British geocaching” would be detrimental to geocaching within Scotland. The unique challenges facing geocaching within Scotland would be poorly addressed. It should be remembered that:

Scottish law and practise is significantly different to that of England & Wales, when it comes to land access.

Several major land management organisations, have counterparts south of the border, but are however separate organisations in Scotland.

The structure of government both local and national is significantly different.

The Scottish environment differs greatly from that in most parts of England. These differences cover land use and population density.

Therefore I believe that to be properly represented it would be better if Scotland could secede from the United Kingdom, in all things relating to geocaching.

This would mean Scottish caches in the ‘geocaching.com’ database would be listed as being in Scotland not the United Kingdom. Scotland would have a dedicated Groundspeak discussion forum. Scottish moderators would approve Scottish caches. Should we then decide to create a support organisation to overcome any difficulties with access, it would be able to fully address those uniquely Scottish issues.

Therefore I would like to have a little poll.

The Question?

Do you think that Scotland, Wales, England or Northern Ireland should have the right for their caches to secede from being classified ‘as in the United Kingdom’ (on the geocaching.com database)?

In my view things are just fine as they are in that department. I also think that if anything like GAGB was ever set up and supported by all that it would include Scottish representitives who would negotiate that part of the playing field. So I wouldn't personally see any need for splitting the countries up provided it was all done the right way, and that would have to be discussed. icon_smile.gif (no part of this was ment offensivly! icon_eek.gif !) icon_razz.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk - Stash Notes, forums & Much more...

I don’t think that there is enough critical mass up here to do it, and I think I prefer it that way. I, for one, would much rather spend my free time driving 300 odd miles to walk halfway up a mountain to grab a couple of caches than get involved in any form of “admin”. God, I work long hours enough as it is.

All I would like to see is that the effete, namby-pamby southern toff clique down there who feel the need to get involved in all this (necessary, and I do appreciate it) work are aware that different conditions apply up here and bear us in mind.

I don't see the need for this quite frankly any guidlines regarding cache content, cache locations etc. are pretty much universal there may be one or two exceptions but they could be treated as such all that is required is one designated individual to handle them.

quote:
the effete, namby-pamby southern toff clique down there

Bit of an unfair comment really unless you know them personally.

It seems that the density of cachers icon_wink.gif and caches north of the border could mean that they could stay out of any association for the time being (they are still in their infancy) then maybe set up their own scottish devolved association once caching takes off up there.

Lots of love from a effete, namby-pamby southern toff icon_biggrin.gif

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Don't you think that sooner or later someone will notice that its a mobile phone not a GPS your using???

I'm agnostic on whether Scotland/Wales/NI/Cornwall etc should devolve from "UK" geocaching.

But from a practical viewpoint, it would be nice if all caches within a particular geographical area were listed under the same country. So if "Scotland" were to be recognised by GC.com, then all new and existing caches north of the border should be in "Scotland", not the "United Kingdom". This should be vigorously enforced by the cache approvers / moderators.

We have the situation in Northern Ireland where some caches are listed as being in "Ireland", whereas others are listed as being in the "United Kingdom". This makes using the "by country" lists in GC.com rather awkward!

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

Is your Avatar "Monkey", from that cult Japanese TV series? (Sometimes called Monkey Magic)

I'd forgotten about that show. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

that the effete, namby-pamby southern toff clique

That's a bit below the belt and more than a little unjust.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

quote:

that the effete, namby-pamby southern toff clique

That's a bit below the belt and more than a little unjust.

I think anyone south of the border falls into this catergory to a Scot. They're just jealous cos we're so wonderful... icon_wink.gif

Yes, it is a bit isn't it? Sorry. Up here, the stereotypical insult is a friendly term of endearement. You're supposed to reply - "whinging self satisfied Jocks" and then we can all have some fun. But perhaps we ought to save it for happier times.

ps you're wrong - Monkey, indeed.

quote:
Originally posted by Pooter:

Yes, it is a bit isn't it? Sorry. Up here, the stereotypical insult is a friendly term of endearement. You're supposed to reply - "whinging self satisfied Jocks" and then we can all have some fun. But perhaps we ought to save it for happier times.

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar and the barmaid says:

"Is this some sort of joke?" icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. That mystery avatar looks oddly familiar... I'm off to trawl the net for it now, then we'll all find out how old you really are, Pooter! BWAHAHAHAAAAA! *ahem*

quote:

Then what the chuff is it?

Paranoid must be a clue, but I can't figure it. Doesn't look like Marvin (of the Android variety) and nothing else is ringing any bells.

This'll bake my noodle for a good few hours at least.

------

soapbox.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Omally:

An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar and the barmaid says:

"Is this some sort of joke?" icon_biggrin.gif

An Englishman, Irishman, and a Scotsman all walk into a bar.

You'd have thought one of them would've seen it.

icon_rolleyes.gif

------

soapbox.gif

Give the man a cigar!

It's the cover of the Black Sabbath album "Paranoid" which I queued outside the record shop for on it's day of release. I say queued, There was only me and it was raining.

I bet Meriadoc's dead annoyed that we've driven this one so far off topic.

quote:

Give the man a cigar!

It's the cover of the Black Sabbath album "Paranoid" which I queued outside the record shop for on it's day of release. I say queued, There was only me and it was raining.

I bet Meriadoc's dead annoyed that we've driven this one so far off topic.

Hurrah ! hurrah! Well done Mudplugger!

And sorry Meriadoc - but it had to be cracked.

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Pooter's Avatar had me guessing as well. So the thread wasn't wasted entirely.

Lizz Codd made the comment:

quote:
It seems that the density of cachers and caches north of the border could mean that they could stay out of any association for the time being (they are still in their infancy) then maybe set up their own Scottish devolved association once caching takes off up there.

I personally agree that for the time being Geocaching in Scotland wouldn’t benefit from a national Geocaching association. If the time ever comes, when we need a support organisation to help negotiate with landowners, I would hope that it would be independent of any existing association.

Grrrr! Being an Ozzy fan, I can't believe I didn't work it out! I actually thought it was Mork from Mork & Mindy (non)fame! *hangs head in shame*

As a half yank, born in East Anglia, raised in France - currently living in Yorkshire - can I just be Scottish?! Sounds like life is easier up there - oh and theres more stuff to climb too!

Sam

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

Thats on my watch list (with the other 150 items!). Hoping to visit Holy Island again in the summer, last time we were up there we hopped over the border and sampled some fine fare (fish & chips!). The other half's Scottish victory was to eat deep-fried pizza in Glasgow. And enjoy it.

I was disappointed to see that a cache on Holy Island had been destroyed. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=11219

I'm in desperate need of a good climbing fix - not done the Nevis in 5 years now icon_frown.gif

Sam

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

quote:
Originally posted by Meriadoc:

We should be monitoring all you incoming Sassenachs on cross border caching raids. icon_wink.gif

What if Dan n Pid venture north on a night-caching raid? better get eating yer carrots!

By the way, I always thought a Sassenach was a lowlander, not an Englishman... surely the common reference for an Englishman is firstly unpronouncable to an Englishman and also totally unsuitable for this forum? icon_wink.gif

Er Beg to differ Omally but sassanach is actually a derogarory term for a Lowland Scot by a highland Scot.. aint nowt to do with the English..

And as 2nd Generation English and 11th generation Scot.. well.. figure it oot..

BY the way.. Have you noticed that with out moderators how threads tend to start on quite a serious note and go from that to total rubbish..

Moss the Boss... Sorta

Aye, maist o' Northumberland should still be pairt o' Scotland.

I was just mulling-over the best place for a Border control cache. The eastern end of the so called border at Lamberton, wouldn't be the best place for the cache. As Berwick-upon-tweed is really part of Scotland.

I'll have to setup a cache at the north end of the Union Chain Bridge, where the border is not disputed.

quote:
All I would like to see is that the effete, namby-pamby southern toff clique down there who feel the need to get involved in all this (necessary, and I do appreciate it) work are aware that different conditions apply up here and bear us in mind.

I hope that statement was meant in jest Pooter.

If not I will have to be equally isulting about the Scots. The only fear I would have then is a bunch of Claymore wielding woad painted kilt wearing loonies chasing me down icon_wink.gif

Yep you are probably right about there being a different set of rules for Scotland. Land Access rights are a lot different with Scotland but I am sure if the EGA (English Geocaching Association- I appreciate your comments about the Assocaition name) works out then some bonnie wee geocacher in Scotland can take up the mantle.

One last thing- If you Scottish Geocachers are objecting to the 'United Kingdom' in the Association name then why are you posting on the United Kingdom Forum icon_wink.gif .

An rud a nithear gu math, chithear a bhuil.

Brisidh an teanga bhog an cneath.

Tapadh leibh

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

quote:
Originally posted by Meriadoc:

Aye, maist o' Northumberland should still be pairt o' Scotland.

I was just mulling-over the best place for a Border control cache. The eastern end of the so called border at Lamberton, wouldn't be the best place for the cache. As Berwick-upon-tweed is really part of Scotland.

I'll have to setup a cache at the north end of the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=8587, where the border is not disputed.

yee inta border reivers then.. fancy a bit Reivin on th eside?

Moss the Boss... Sorta

quote:
Originally posted by Moss Trooper:

Er Beg to differ Omally but sassanach is actually a derogarory term for a Lowland Scot by a highland Scot.. aint nowt to do with the English..

And as 2nd Generation English and 11th generation Scot.. well.. figure it oot..

BY the way.. Have you noticed that with out moderators how threads tend to start on quite a serious note and go from that to total rubbish..

Moss the Boss... Sorta

That's exactly what I said, Moss! (about sassenachs) icon_biggrin.gif

And yes, it is well noted about the descent into stupidity in these forums. Shame. Still, can't say I'm exactly helping the threads stay sensible!

Sassenach is actaully derived from the word Saxon. Therefore as the majourity of English people have saxon ancestors then it's alright to call you Sassenachs.

I've been thinking about Dan and Pid's nightime excursions and should they dare to icon_wink.gif venture north of the Border, then I would recommend White Heugh. Although they better watch out they don't cross the edge of the 400ft high cliff. icon_eek.gif

Girlie English caches are easily taken at Night.

Scottish caches can be more of a challenge.

I should warn Pid and Dan that attempting

The Athens of the North after dark isn't to be recommended.

[This message was edited by Meriadoc on May 13, 2003 at 05:53 PM.]

This is the only fun thread going right now: come on, insult me again! I love it! icon_biggrin.gif

Can never win with you Scots: get moaned at for calling meself a sassenach, gete moaned at for using the word correctly, which apparantly is also incorrect... glad I'm a dog, I can chase me own tail! icon_biggrin.gif

Still, bless the Scots for inventing the one thing that modern technology should be eternally grateful for: copper-wire. Amazing what you can do, fighting over a penny! icon_wink.gif

Lassitude's comment:

quote:
One last thing- If you Scottish Geocachers are objecting to the 'United Kingdom' in the Association name then why are you posting on the United Kingdom Forum .

Nothing wrong with being classified as the United Kingdom, we are one part of the Union. However being in the United Kingdom means we have to share the forum with you English louts.

icon_wink.gif We also have to suffer your constant referances to a "Northern Cache Bashes", "Northern Caches" and "Northern Cachers". It's all Southern for us! icon_mad.gif

Should we secede then it would mean the disappearance of the United Kingdom, classification and forum. As having a United Kingdom without Scotland, would be an anachronism.

It should be remembered that this United Kingdom is made up of only two countries. Wales is a principality and Northern Ireland is a province.