How deep are your pockets?

geomania

These 'patches' sound like a good idea. Maybe we could have "beginner's", "bronze", "silver", and "gold" versions depending on your number of cache finds? I have access to machinery which is capable of making them, but would have to put *some* money into new software before I could actually produce any. Before putting my hand in my pocket, I'd need to know whether I could recover the costs in a sensible time...

So, chaps (& chapesses...) how much would you be prepared to pay for one these 'patches'?

I'd wear one, but only if Matron will sew it on for me. She's very busy at the moment trying to stick my nametags in my plimsols.....

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

I'm a bit more discreet than that! Last week a dog came running up to me and the owner said to the dog, "He's got nothing for you to eat, and he doesn't want to take your picture with that camera either".

Now I am considering mounting an antenna on a flat cap and running the cable down through my coat. icon_biggrin.gif Maybe that would be a problem.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

You need an "I wouldn't buy one at any price" option which is what I would be voting for. I explained geocaching to a friend of mine at the weekend and she thought it was the nerdiest thing she had heard of for a very long time. Sew on badges will just confirm her fears for my sanity.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

You need an "I wouldn't buy one at any price" option which is what I would be voting for. I explained geocaching to a friend of mine at the weekend and she thought it was the nerdiest thing she had heard of for a very long time. Sew on badges will just confirm her fears for my sanity.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

I agree with everything Jeremyp says, and

on top of that , I think its turning the passtime into a childs game, I think people would see the patches and say " thats one of them wierdo people"

Then someone comes up with the idea of different coloured cases for your gps , Blue for finding 100 and so on.Its all starting to get a bit ridiculous and childish now.

jUST MY VIEWS AND OPEN TO SCORN

Nige

Scruffy camo jacket, funny hat, green wellies, muttering gibberish at his ‘phone’ that’s being held at arms length, poking about under bushes with a long stick.

Believe me… I don’t need a patch to let people know I’m one can short of a six-pack. They’ve already made up their minds about that from 100 feet away. They rush past holding their kids tightly and find another path if they’ve got to come back that way.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Then someone comes up with the idea of different coloured cases for your gps , Blue for finding 100 and so on.Its all starting to get a bit ridiculous and childish now.

jUST MY VIEWS AND OPEN TO SCORN

Nige

No scorn from me - I agree 100% - and putting the sheer "geekishness" aspect aside for a moment, the "found" totals aren't really that accurate a yardstick of caching achievement anyway... we all do different caches, of different difficulties, in areas of different cache densities. Some people's entry to the "100 club" is the achievement of them driving thousands of miles to far-flung places of interest... other people's entry to the "100 club" is just a measure of how efficient they were at improvising a few dozen non-locationals on their doorstep. I think that dishing out "awards" for certain "found" totals would just push the game even further towards the "numbers" mentality... I mean... we're even at the stage now where people are wanting to log the "suspected" lid of a trashed cache as a find, just to get their stats up... Madness!

quote:
Originally posted by phredd:

We all ready have the "number of caches" found.

Will we have "number of caches hidden" next,

followed by a coloured badge to denote your

achievements.

I prefer stars, but you can have colours if you like icon_smile.gif

I'm afraid there'll be no badge for you in the "total difficulty of caches hidden on a Saturday" category!

quote:
Keep Class/Elitism out of the sport

Yes comrade! Interesting that you call it a sport, but are against competition and rewards for success...

Personally for me, it's only a hobby. I'm just sad and like playing with numbers. icon_biggrin.gif But if people want to award themselves medals for achievement, I say let them. I was very proud when I got my "Gold personal survival" badge for swimming, and a friend of mine is very proud of his badge for 25yrs in Mountain Rescue. What's the difference? So long as it's purely on merit as a reward for what they've done, rather than which clique they're in, what's the harm?

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Scruffy camo jacket, funny hat, green wellies, muttering gibberish at his ‘phone’ that’s being held at arms length, poking about under bushes with a long stick.

Believe me… I don’t need a patch to let people know I’m one can short of a six-pack. They’ve already made up their minds about that from 100 feet away. They rush past holding their kids tightly and find another path if they’ve got to come back that way.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Now that's too close to be funny icon_biggrin.gif I wear Berghaus kit myself, but a couple did catch me talking to an electricity pylon last week.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

quote:

-------

jeremyp

Now, if there was one for Trig Points found/not found.... icon_razz.gif

No, perhaps not.

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:

I explained geocaching to a friend of mine at the weekend and she thought it was the nerdiest thing she had heard of for a very long time.

As a witness to this event I have to say it was incredibly amusing. Hahaha.

Rich

mobilis in mobili