Visiting cards.

Hi-Tek

Some of the caches we've visited have had 'Visiting cards' placed in them by other teams who have located the cache.

Being 'new cachers' we are unsure whether it is permissable to remove these cards - say to collect them - or whether they're for the cache owners (in addition to the log book record) as a momento of some of the visitors.

Can anyone enlighten us as to the correct etiquette on this? Cheers.

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

I would say it's perfectly acceptable to remove visiting cards, it's just like any other signature item.

It's likely that the finder (usually living in the same region) would leave them in a few of the hider's caches and since they have the added advantage of knowing exactly where to look, it's only fair that someone else can take them.

I started leaving my cards as a lazy way of marking the fact that I'd been there. Of course, I signed the log, etc. but the cards were a kind of gratuity.

I had no idea that anyone would actually want them... I sort of envisioned the cache owner stumbling across it one day, and thinking "sweet" before promptly forgetting all about it. icon_biggrin.gif

Then Nia(? - I think it was you) asked the question previously, and said they had picked up one of my cards. I had never imagined that they might become collectors items - but to be honest, its made me quite proud.

Go for it! Collect the cards! icon_smile.gif

And, as a side note, I'm redesigning my cards, so now there's two styles to add to your collection from HouseKouros icon_wink.gif

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

Magnetic business card material! Where do you get that from? I can see it having some potential.

Yeah. For attracting cast-iron business offers?

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by Naefearjustbeer:

Do those of you that print up calling cards make your own or do you use one of those machines you see in shopping centres?. If you print your own is there any software you recomend to use for the cards

I bought a pack of A4 sheets of stiff(ish) card that had been pre-scored or perforated into business card sized bits. (Think they came from PC World). Then I just used MS Word to create the design with the Word Art function and printed the sheets on an ordinary ink-jet printer. It only took a few minutes.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Looking at the cards we have collected, nearly all have been produced the same way.

Printed on to A4 card with an inkjet. cut up with swissors or a trimmer, and then laminated.

usually laminated on A4 and cut up, a few are laminated in business card sized pouches.

The other card has used sticky-backed plastic ... in true Blue-Peter fasion.

Tech-no notice

quote:

The other card has used sticky-backed plastic ... in true Blue-Peter fasion.

Ah, might I recognise that one then?

Michael designed ours using Word, and printed several onto A4 with the colour inkjet. I then cut them up, and laminated then with book-covering film (which is how I laminate the "Geocache Site - Plese Read" notices for our caches).

I'm hoping that they last reasonably well....

But it DOES keep the costs down.

Paul

Team Blitz

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

On a slighltly different collectable personalised object tack,we have found one or two acrylic key rings with personalised inserts (Moss Trooper's for example) and would like to make some of these for ourselves to leave in part as swaps. The only trouble is finding somwhere that sells blanks in numbers less tham 2500 at a reasonable price. Does anyone know where say twntyfive at a time can be bought without extortunate p and P?

quote:
Originally posted by jeb and co:

On a slighltly different collectable personalised object tack,we have found one or two acrylic key rings with personalised inserts (Moss Trooper's for example) and would like to make some of these for ourselves to leave in part as swaps. The only trouble is finding somwhere that sells blanks in numbers less tham 2500 at a reasonable price. Does anyone know where say twntyfive at a time can be bought without extortunate p and P?

This is exactly what we do with our bottle-openers putting in our own inserts. We contacted a couple of companies, and both were happy to do 100 without inserts.

The bad news is I've lost the names of the companies, but i will try and find them again.

ALSO get at least 100, we have used 50+ allready.

Tech-no notice

Another option for visiting cards / travel bug name tags is Fantastic Plastic by Avery. This is a film you print on with an inkjet, then bake in the oven. The film shrinks into a 2mm thick plastic sheet, making the print waterproof in the process...

icon_frown.gificon_mad.gificon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

Ah, might I recognise that one then?

Make that 2 with Sticky back plastic.

Lol!!!

Sounds like my efforts with the book-covering film are done well!

I make sure whatever I use the "stickyback plastic" for, I make sure I do it well... otherwise it's not worth the effort. The calling cards, lkike the Goe-notices, can be in a damp cache for months at a time, so I don't want them falling to bits if I can help it.

Team Blitz

[

QUOTE]

This is exactly what we do with our bottle-openers putting in our own inserts. We contacted a couple of companies, and both were happy to do 100 without inserts.

The bad news is I've lost the names of the companies, but i will try and find them again.

ALSO get at least 100, we have used 50+ allready.

Tech-no noticeThere is a company that you could try

Keyrings £8 for 50 blanks 0r £15 for 100

you can fit 50mmx 35mm inserts in , double sided clear , hope the link works ok,

Nige

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

There is a company that you could try

http://www.businessgift.uk.com/shop/6/index.htm £8 for 50 blanks 0r £15 for 100

you can fit 50mmx 35mm inserts in , double sided clear , hope the link works ok,

Nige

I just went online to order a hundred. £15 becomes £27.02 when you add on vat and £8!!! for delivery. I think that this is one of the sites I found on an earlier search into acrylic keyrings and rejected because of the price.

quote:
Originally posted by jeb and co:

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

There is a company that you could try

http://www.businessgift.uk.com/shop/6/index.htm £8 for 50 blanks 0r £15 for 100

Nige

I just went online to order a hundred. £15 becomes £27.02 when you add on vat and £8!!! for delivery. earlier search into acrylic keyrings and rejected because of the price.

I dont think that you can find them much cheaper than 27p each, some sites are asking 58p each

Nige

I went round the shops today and I was looking for trinkets to place in caches and I must agree that 27p an item is a very good buy. I will try the site and see what is on offer.

I appreciate that this is may just be the sig item but its useful as well. Obviously lower cost for volume, so perhaps clubbing to gether for an order is an option for neighbouring cachers.

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Have a look.

http://www.promotionalkeyrings.co.uk/promotionalkeyrings_blankkeyrings.htm

Also try these very small min orders still very reasonable.

http://www.mainframes.co.uk/mf/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=49

Also 100 min order £24.00 free postage:

http://www.keyringsupplier.co.uk/photokeyrings.htm

Thats enough to be getting on with icon_smile.gif

The Targett Family

[This message was edited by The Targett Family on March 02, 2003 at 11:53 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

Another option for visiting cards / travel bug name tags is Fantastic Plastic by Avery. This is a film you print on with an inkjet, then bake in the oven.

I just got some of this from my local commercial stationers... 4 A4 sheets for £7.99: I'm quite looking forward to having a play!

paul

Team Blitz

Bought some today at PC World (7.99)

Made a GC square logo and a Fairy for Jenny.

Impressive stuff to watch cooking. but at £2 a sheet and the picture shrinks to one fifth its size - I'm not sure of the long term value.

While shopping for the above I got some window pictures, also from avery, ideal for making custom window stickers.

It's like being a kid again

Lance

It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

We have started leaving 6 calling cards in caches we have placed. These are intended for the finder to take as a memento of thier vist.

If a finder leaves a calling card in a cache, I feel this card should be left for the owner of the cache. We place a calling card in a cache we find and is intended for the owner of that cache and NOT for another finder to take.

The Cards are printed both sides and are laminared. We think are a rather good. (nothing like blowing ones own trumpet)

Phredd & Dotty.

I have been thinking of putting a stack of souvenir cards in caches I hide, worded something like 'I found the XXXXX cache hidden by Daisy and her man.', with a picture of the good-looking half of our duo. icon_razz.gif

The idea is that anyone finding the cache would take one away with them.

Good idea?

quote:
Originally posted by phredd:

If a finder leaves a calling card in a cache, I feel this card should be left for the owner of the cache. We place a calling card in a cache we find and is intended for the owner of that cache and NOT for another finder to take.

Phredd & Dotty.

Surely anything in the cache other than the log book, pencil and sharpener are tradeable unless you staple your calling cards into the log book.

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Ambu:

While shopping for the above I got some window pictures, also from avery, ideal for making custom window stickers.

We also bought the Avery product to do the window stickers for our MK3 bears.

There is one major issue with them. When they get wet, the print comes off. Car window stickers must get condensation on them so if you wipe the windows, it's goodbye sticker time. We contacted Avery who were worse than useless at providing any help.

We contacted an inkjet cartridge manufacturer who explained that there were only two printers on the market which used waterproof ink and they were very expensive.

Eventually we paid a printing works to put them through a press in order to place a layer of varnish over them. That seems to have worked fine. icon_smile.gif

We did have another thought just 2 days ago, wonder if the aerosol fixative that artists use on artwork will suffice.

I promise you, the fixative will be one heck of a lot cheaper.

It took Avery three weeks to come back to us admitting there was a problem but did not offer any resolution of any sort. icon_mad.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TheCat:

I have a colour laser printer that I use for things that I put in caches. The paper will fall to bits before the print will come off. So providing the material will go through a copier or laser printer I can print on it. If I can be of any help please let me know.

Mark (TheCat)

http://www.geocacheuk.com

Thanks for the offer Mark, but this is low temperature plastic. This material melts at low temperature and will wreck the fuser in your printer.

The Avery one that we bought actually says for inkjet printers, which was why we could not use our laser printer.

I don't know if they do one especially for lasers but they did not make mention of it to us on the phone.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif