Anyone short on cache locations?

I had been running low on new places to hide a cache this week so went for a search on the internet. My travels took me to a rather fantastic site If i do say so:- The Modern Antiquarian.

By using the map option you can zoom in on any county in the uk and by passing your mouse pointer over various red dots which sybolize locations, see what is at a site. I have found 5 or more places of interest in Buckinghamshire alone which I never knew existed! It also gives you the option to register yourself and add your own favourite sites which go immediatly onto the same map for other people to see! Its quite a good way of advertising geocaching by simply dropping a hint on a page saying that there is hidden treasure for any visitors! Give it a whirl I think some of you might find it extremely interesting! icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_cool.gificon_razz.gificon_redface.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk

Thanks for the info Dan.

I am guessing that you must be NightcacherDan!

Looking at how few sites there are round here I would think that they would be all used up as caches pretty quickly.

Maybe I should register and give them a few new sites for the website.

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Wilson:

.......... Its quite a good way of advertising geocaching by simply dropping a hint on a page saying that there is hidden treasure for any visitors! Give it a whirl I think some of you might find it extremely interesting! icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_cool.gificon_razz.gificon_redface.gif

I think you might like to re-visit that comment after you read the reponses to your posts there......

Neil

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Doh and double Doh

quote:
Its quite a good way of advertising geocaching by simply dropping a hint on a page saying that there is hidden treasure for any visitors! Give it a whirl I think some of you might find it extremely interesting!

Looking at the response to your posting they don't seem to be the good time guys you describe! Suggest you don't use their forum for advertising Geocaching.

I am afraid I can see the sites point of view on this, despite the rather rude way they handled D&P's banning.

(later edited for clarity - I meant over the displeasure about using the site for advertising, not over the more recent forum postings there describing geocachers as litterers without bothering to look at what we actually do. My sympathy is waning!)

Rich

mobilis in mobili

[This message was edited by el10t on January 22, 2003 at 04:07 AM.]

Just had another look at their forum. Boy, are they upset. Its a job to follow the plot as the posts are not in order but they sure know how to curse, well one particular word anyway. They are already talking about finding and removing caches. Whew, have you ever poked a wasps nest with a stick. icon_eek.gif

quote:
From "The Modern Antiquarian Forum" Re: GeoCaching

Hi Pid! Hi Dan!

All your geocaching-centric posts have been removed, and your accounts suspended. If you want to have a cry about it, please email ed@themodernantiquarian.com and we will explain why!

Oh dear, by the way Dan and Pid, do you own or have access to a four wheel drive vehicle? icon_wink.gif

Just had a quick look over there...

Urk!

Methink they have grasped the wrong end of the stick... unfortunately for us, the other end is sharp, and it's pointing in our direction...

EDIT: Actually, this might go to reinforce the notion that all caches should have permission from the land owners that the cache is placed on.

If the cache has permission to be there, there's not much of an argument in their favour.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

Oh my gosh! this is shocking!

Seems noone like Adverts! icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

INFLAMMATORY POST EDITED ! Tim & June

[This message was edited by Tim & June on January 22, 2003 at 05:57 AM.]

I assume its because someone early on in the "discussion" over there quoted a bit from the Geocaching info page that says something like a cache can be a bucket etc. They then immediatley think of a bucket like we might use in the garden or for building, not realising that it might be one with a lid on, could be quite small, and is just another type of container. Once this conclusion has been reached that is it - immoveable viewpoint. Nobody from the site seems interested in researching UK geocaches or finding out anything more about our hobby.

I've seen one cache in what might be described as a bucket in the UK and it was well hidden, out of sight and had a lid on.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

Oh dear, the rattles are flying out of their prams, aren't they?!

I think this sort of mentality is far more likely to result in caches being trashed than the "bored teenagers" who are usually painted as the villains. That's assuming they've got access to the required "marine safety equipment" icon_biggrin.gif

Who is Kaipath? is he a cacher in the UK? he is certainly doing well.

I think that they are all naturists, the sort that hide up trees to stop road construction, not the ones that walk around in the nuddy.

I am kind of worried now though, I dont want to be the start of a cache trashing epidemic icon_frown.gif this isnt good for that respect!

If they do however they arent what they say,... they seem to thik they are the adults and we are the children! the other way round surely!

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

[This message was edited by TreeBeard (Pid) on January 22, 2003 at 06:04 AM.]

but I have strong feeling that we're going to loose a few caches in the very near future. I've just spent the last half hour or so reading their forum postings and boy, are one or two of them upset. They are raging. It wouldn't surprise me one little bit if they download a whole heap of cache pages and systematically trash the lot... if they can find them icon_frown.gif

John

Wild Tupperware Hunter

So, having quite sucessfully stirred up a hornet's nest of negative feeling in the Modern Antiquitarian forum hadn't we all better learn to look before we leap?

Posting blatent self promotion of one's own caches here is annoying, but unlikely to damage geocaching, but to do so on somebody elses forum is stupid, however well meaning. Strong words yes, but just look at the responses. If somebody decided to promote some totally unrelated activity in 'our' forums, and did so in a way which was off topic to the subject of the site we'd probably react pretty strongly. Hopefully a little more politely, but I'm sure some of us would be thinking in a similar way to how these people seem to be.

Although they may have got some details wrong about what geocaching is, some people have clearly decided they are against the idea of geocaching, and many others reading it, will see only negative comments, and form a negative opinion. This is not a good idea. All it takes is a few of these aggrevated people to complain to English Heritage or the National Trust and hey presto caching becomes banned in many places, plus we get some new dedicated enemies who might decide to trash caches they feel they are spoiling these ancient monuments. Remember some of the people on that forum hold ancient monuments to be sacred, and would find the idea of hiding things in these locations deeply offensive. Telling them how you plan to hide loads more caches in these locations and inviting everyone else you know to do the same is probably going to provoke a angry response.

Sorry if have offended anybody, but this does make me pretty annoyed. All the lenghtly efforts by many dedicated people at getting good publicity for caching can be undermined by just a few careless actions by just a few people. And all for what, a few more hits to a website?

[This message was edited by dylanhayes on January 22, 2003 at 06:15 AM.]

I wasnt aware it actually was an online community though,I was under the assumption it was just a random site. Had no idea what sort of an uproar it would cause!

Just got a link off of Dan signed up and here we are!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

There appears to be some sort of calm descending in the other forum,

can we agree to refrain from further posts.

Dylan is right there would be a considerable uproar if this forum were spammed (or perceived as such).

This really is a bit of a cross roads for caching, recent publicity etc, we must be careful not to annoy people who, afterall have a common interest in "interesting places".

In the words of Harry Enfield's Scouser "Keep Calm"

Shares in Tupperware? Be a Geocacher!

DAN & PID,

You really need to slow down a little, tread gently and leave no footprints so to speak.

For those interested,

I have posted a new thread on the forum in question in the capacity of admin. I hope this will calm things down.

I have also sent an email to the site owner (I think) so that hopefully we will see an end to the hostility.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

I've come to this "inter-site crisis" (we don't have wars these days) rather late and well done to the few who have been very busy pouring oil on troubled Antiquarians all day.

Although many of the postings have been rather heated, they are settling down now and a new thread has a very sensible suggestion "Seems to me that the uneasy truce that will form is if a cache is visible to a TMA poster, they'll remove it, if its not they won't...".

If a cache is causing concern then we should remove it anyway, so this sounds like a sensible way forward.

We definitely need caution when approaching communities such as these folks - many of them have very clear ideas about the sanctity of the countryside and a little understanding on our part will go a long way to sharing our heritage.

Dave

I agree with the Wombles, we should approach other communities with concern as they all deserve respect. I think I can taker this as a learning curve in the respect that I won't be blabbing about caching to different types of community again.

One thing I will add though....I wish there Moderators were as good as ours!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

This seems to be the root of my hate mail as I did find both of the caches mentioned

Did you write in your log "toppled over a few funny looking upright stones while I was there"?

If I'd had the mail I might have replied with an informative e-mail about what geocaching is about and enquired why he felt personal abuse was an appropriate reaction.

The more juvenile response would be to sign him up to receive spam from lots of commercial web sites icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

I have just spent about an hour reading through the forum! What a lot of fuss over a tupperware box that they did not know even existed until yesterday. All I can say is I hope that nobody has inadvertantly placed a cache in on or under a sacred site to give them the Proof that they are looking for.

Hear about the 2 blondes that walked into a bar?

You would of thought at least one of them would of seen it!!

Oh my gosh! Scoiut please tell me you are joking,,,,this is all we need! LoL.

I have read the postings to and it seems a couple of them are adiment on finding the caches and trashing them. A couple of them understand and several others have been reading our posts and stating that we are worried etc.

Talk about a community clash. Crikey Dave Munroe, whoever that is, certainly has a fair bit to answer for aswell!

Pid

www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by The Scout:

quote:
From: Neafearjustbear .... All I can say is I hope that nobody has inadvertantly placed a cache in on or under a sacred site to give them the Proof that they are looking for.

I think its best I own up and say sorry

The Scout needs to confirm this, but I believe is joking and is referring to his cache which jokes about being in a stone circle, but is most definitely NOT (we've done it).

Sorry if this spoils the illusion around this particular cache but considering the heat of previous discussion I felt it best to post an early clarification.

Dave

"Don't bother reading the forums today, i'll check them when i get home from school tomorrow!"

BIG MISTAKE ON MY PART!

All i can say is wow

I'm not going to give my opinion, i'll only end up offending someone LoL icon_biggrin.gif

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

It's not a matter of win or lose...until you lose icon_biggrin.gif