Tweediepie cache.

Guest Moss Trooper

Guest Moss Trooper

This is not a continuation of the lets get Robin and June thig.. that as far as I am concerned is water under the bridge. icon_smile.gif

But this is how I see this cache and does any one agree, disagree, your thoughts are welcome. icon_smile.gif

I would like to point out that this cache should be classed as a 5. It is virtually impossible to do without bearings and could not be practically carried out in the field. For triangulation to work you need good line of site and an angle. If you have three locations and bearings where they intersect is the location.

Giving locations and distance is basically meaningless. If you take a circle and use mils you get 3200 possible directions. In degrees you get 360 if you stick to plain degrees.

To do this cache you have to use circles from the three locations. Not really practical in the field. Where they intersect gives you an area to look in. I calculated this at about 0.007 sq Km giving a triangle of 40 mtrs at the base and 350 mtrs from base to apex.

Given that the sport relies on the fact that you can get within about ten meters of a location, I think it is unrealistic to think that it can be done by the run of the mill geocacher armed with his trusty GPS.

How about this approach? It should work with just a GPS, assuming it will tell you the distance to a cache 10km away with enough precision. Go to the initial point given. Use your GPS to find the distances to the three referenced caches. Pick the one that is furthest away from it's given distance and walk towards/away from it until that distance is right. Now walk in a line perpendicular to the cache so that the distance to the first remains the same and you get closer to the right distance for the second cache. You should check every so often that you are walking in the right direction to keep the first distance correct. When you reach the right distance for the second cache, the third cache distance should also be correct (depending on the accuracy of the source distances and your GPS) or close enough to get it right with a bit of wandering.

Guest swampie

quote:
Originally posted by Rob & Lisa:

How about this approach? It should work with just a GPS, assuming it will tell you the distance to a cache 10km away with enough precision. Go to the initial point given. Use your GPS to find the distances to the three referenced caches. Pick the one that is furthest away from it's given distance and walk towards/away from it until that distance is right. Now walk in a line perpendicular to the cache so that the distance to the first remains the same and you get closer to the right distance for the second cache. You should check every so often that you are walking in the right direction to keep the first distance correct. When you reach the right distance for the second cache, the third cache distance should also be correct (depending on the accuracy of the source distances and your GPS) or close enough to get it right with a bit of wandering.

There's not a chance that this would work.

Robin should stick with geocaching for dummies and leave the serious stuff for those who know what they are doing.

going back up my tree.

swampie.

I agree that wandering around swapping between distance is not the best way to do this one, however it is possible to do, but not, as Moss Trooper has said, in the field with just a GPS unit.

One way you could try, is to do in 2 dimensions the sort of calculations that your GPS uses all the time in 3 dimensions. Have a read of http://celia.mehaffey.com/dale/theory.htm for a good explanation what is involved.

Richard

Guest Moss Trooper

Come on Richard.. whole Idea of Geocaching is switch on yer GPS an go for it.. MY multi cache with triangulation covers an arc of 150 mtrs tops..

Folks are here to have fun.. not spend the time with calculators and trig, geometry etc..

OUCH ! .

'An eres me thinking this sport was meant to be fun,not painful.

Still, even if Mr. lovelock was to put a gold pig in a cache on top of a beacon in an open field......it wouldn't find its way onto my "Want to do" cache list. icon_wink.gif

Oh, come on - aren't we being a lot rude to each other. Yes this is meant to be fun. We can still have different opinions about what is right and what is wrong without outright attacks.

------------------

John Stead

Not agreed!!!

And if stifling personal opinion is the order of the day then this forum is going down the tubes.

Ganging up and tutting at "REAL" geocachers isn't the way either.

PS for personal attacks on Mr Lovelock see almost any thread over the last 60 days and they are authored by quite a few different cachers.

Sorry Monz - you slightly missed my point. I agree that caches like Tweediepie are not for many of us. But we can ignore them if they give fun to others.

I agree too that the proliferation of what might seem commercial caches is all wrong.

What I objected too was the use of references to "geocaching for dummies" etc. I don't mind if anyone calls me a dummy or anything else (probably right) but not when it is part of a personal attack.

I shall be off the net for a few days now and look forward to seeing how this has developed when I get back. As I shall be travelling from the North West to the North East coasts maybe I can sample one or other of Monz's caches!

------------------

John Stead

Moss

What you need are 3 pieces of string, one 7000m long, one 10980m long and one 6421m long and a few pieces of chalk or a tanker load of surveyors marker paint.

Hammer a peg in at each of the other caches, fell all the trees and remove all the other obstacles like hills, roads, railways, houses, shops etc and scribe the circles out (might take a while as the smallest is about 40km in circumference) - assuming Robin's distances are correct you'll find TweetiePie at the intersection of the 3 circles - provided your string doesn't stretch of course icon_wink.gif

Then when you've logged it rebuild all the hills, roads, railways, shops & houses and pop home to log it - easily do-able just before tea I'd have thought.

On a more practical note, I'm not sure many GPSR are capable of reading distances to 4 significant figures directly - I know most in use by geocachers aren't - and there's a potential world of difference between 10.98km and 11.0km.

quote:
Originally posted by Monz:

And if stifling personal opinion is the order of the day then this forum is going down the tubes.

We are all (or all should be) here to popularise Geocaching - if we start having petty battles amongst ourselves we are not going to get that. I've not seen anyone's personal opinion stifled here either.

quote:
Ganging up and tutting at "REAL" geocachers isn't the way either.

No idea to what you're alluding there either - I've not seen any evidence of ganging up or tutting and I'd be really interested to hear what constitutes a "REAL" geocacher - as far as I'm concerned it's anyone that's doing it within the 'rules' as they are formulated on www.geocaching.com

[This message has been edited by JasonW (edited 28 October 2001).]

quote:
"REAL" geocacher - as far as I'm concerned it's anyone that's doing it within the 'rules' as they are formulated on www.geocaching.com

Well as far as I can see that only applies to some of us...!

Certain companies flout these rules and do as they like with the apparent blessing of geocaching.com

Is that plain enough or shall I drop to single syllables icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Monz (edited 28 October 2001).]

You got a problem with it - then talk to Jeremy (contact@geocaching.com) directly he's the only one that can do anything about it (if he agrees as this is his enterprise).

You don't have to come here nor do you have to look at any particular caches if you do come here - for what it's worth I don't particularly like what's happening down south either. Childish sniping helps no-one, in fact on balance it probably makes the sniper look worse than the sniped.

[This message has been edited by JasonW (edited 28 October 2001).]

Actually Jason I have tried to get a reply from Jeremy over this issue on more than one occasion without any success.

Seeing as you aspire to be the final word on here to all questions you can have it... I no longer wish to play any part in the discussions I will geocache without the forum and enjoy it. Strange how you enjoy playing devils advocate though... you stir up the water then stand back, hmmmmm I don't suppose all of us have the courage of our convictions though.

There is obviously more to the GPSS issue than most of us allowed to see and to be quite honest I no longer give a hoot.

If anyone has any need to contact me it can be done through my email at senior@blueyonder.co.uk or ICQ at 40203935

Good luck in the forum

With all due respect maybe you shouldn't post to the forums when your emotions are running so high...

You snipe at me while in the same breath telling me not to snipe at others.

With regard to Jeremy and his instant answers to your questions... maybe it has something to do with me asking him questions he obviously doesn't want to answer.. and on that note I have had 4 mails now from fellow geocachers telling me they have also mailed Jeremy direct with no reply on the issue of Mr Lovelock and are asking me what the official line is regarding this matter.

Maybe seeing as you are plugged into the right socket, you could get an answer for us all will look back in 12 hours with interest to see what the official response is.

I really do not want to have to post to this forum again.

[This message has been edited by Monz (edited 28 October 2001).]

Guest davehinns

I went looking for Teediepie cache to see what the fuss was about, but couldn't find it. As a sugegstion for the future, how about putting in the cache reference code so we new bods can search on that.

Cheers

quote:
Originally posted by davehinns:

I went looking for Teediepie cache... how about putting in the cache reference code so we new bods can search on that.

Cheers

Maybe if you search for "Tweedie Pie" and not "TeediePie" you may make a little more headway...

PS I believe that it will be archived now anyway icon_wink.gif