virgin caches

Nia

I see from the UK stats that there are 54 virgin caches, i guess this means they have never been found.

Any idea how you could search out a list these caches, it must be posible.

I have never yet managed to be first to a cache, so this list might help.

Tech-no notice

The cache database on geocacheuk has just been re-vamped, so you can filter the UK caches against all sorts of criteria (eg virgin caches within 20 miles of St Albans), plot the results on a map, download to EasyGPS etc, etc. New features are planned soon...

To answer the original question, try this:list of virgin caches. Or, if you'd prefer a map, try this.

As yet, there's no facility to find caches containing T&J bears, though!

quote:
Originally posted by Teasel:

Bother! that was going to be my next question.

(But I'm sure you are working on it)

GREAT JOB on the UK stats by the way.

Tech-no notice

quote:

I doubt you will be able to automate a system for showing these. Much to Tim and June's amusement, I have now been to two caches that should have had bears in, only to have my hopes cruelly dashed because the bears had already been liberated by people not logging their finds online. Absolutely soul destroying. But I'm not bitter, honest.

Its all part of the "fun" of the game!

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

quote:

I doubt you will be able to automate a system for showing these.

I'm sure a man of Ians tallents could soon come up with a query that shows all caches that have been visited by a certain user (T&J) that have not been visited by anyone else. Waddayafink ?

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

My point was that even though it would be possible to automatically extract the list of caches last found by T&J (and therefore likely to have a bear in) you can't be 100% sure that a bear will be in there. I have had two experiences where this wasn't the case because someone found the caches in between T&J and me but didn't log their finds online.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

Okay, a couple of alternatives here.

We could ask Jeremy to add a further extension to the site specifically for the purpose of logging bears in & out. Of course, this would not stop the bears being taken from the cache but not being logged. And I guess Jeremy would not agree anyway. So that's a dumb idea.

So, a better resolution is to simply ban anybody from using GC.com unless their name is el10t.

Now that would work. Except of course, we wouldn't be able to use the site either.

Oh well ! Back to the drawing board....

Ah! Gottit. You gotta follow us around, very closely.

Perhaps that's why we keep getting the feeling we're being watched

icon_biggrin.gif

Any other ideas anybody ?

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

So, a better resolution is to simply ban anybody from using GC.com unless their name is el10t.

Not a bad idea. I certainly can't see any problems with this - seems very workable to me. icon_wink.gif

Rich

_mobilis in mobili_

But who will plant new caches for you to find icon_confused.gif

Tech-no notice

quote:
Originally posted by Nia:

quote:

quote:

Not a bad idea. I certainly can't see any problems with this - seems very workable to me. icon_wink.gif

Rich

_mobilis in mobili_

But who will plant new caches for you to find icon_confused.gif

Tech-no notice

We'll have to get up off our backsides and plant that sequence of caches that I had the brilliant idea for about a year ago and yet are still sitting in el10t's living room.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

We'll have to get up off our backsides and plant that sequence of caches that I had the brilliant idea for about a year ago and yet are still sitting in el10t's living room.

Well you couldn't be more wrong actually. They are in my garage.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:

Perhaps that's why we keep getting the feeling we're being watched

Oh yes, Big Brother is watching you! icon_biggrin.gif

Other stats will be added soon, such as how many virgin caches you've defiled. Of course, if two people enter logs for the same day, they'll both get credit for the deflowering, but it's probably best not to dwell on that one... icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Teasel on November 23, 2002 at 05:45 PM.]

That 'Big brother' thing is Brilliant

looking at Tim & June i see they have a very poor Hidden/found ratio (hint) icon_wink.gif

and they tend towards the easy caches, or mayby there just are not many hard caches icon_confused.gif

Checked my own profile and was supprised to see 17 counties icon_eek.gif

I'm very impressed Teasel

Tech-no notice

quote:

quote:

Bother! that was going to be my next question.

(But I'm sure you are working on it)

Indeed! Try this...

Obviously everything el10t said is entirely true. But it was fun to write and my php skills are still pretty shakey and need the practice!

[This message was edited by Teasel on November 24, 2002 at 08:08 AM.]

Wow ! Teasel, what a job. You da-man.

We are well impressed. No question.

quote:

That 'Big brother' thing is Brilliant

looking at Tim & June i see they have a very poor Hidden/found ratio (hint) icon_wink.gif

and they tend towards the easy caches, or mayby there just are not many hard caches icon_confused.gif

Checked my own profile and was supprised to see 17 counties icon_eek.gif

I'm very impressed Teasel

Tech-no notice

I know your post was not in criticism but we have to defend ourselves. icon_biggrin.gif

I guess it's a little true, but we hate to put any more in the Winchester area because we have so many here already. So we have spread them out. The problem with spreading them out is that it is difficult to maintain them (we try to visit all our caches every now and then). That's our excuse and we're stickin to it !

The difficulty bit surprised us more, especially more so when we have done a 5 x 5, a 5 x 3 and a 3.5 x 5. We were first to visit these, and two of them have only been found by one visitor since.

Took some time to work out why the ratio should be so low. And then it struck us, we have done all the caches in the area and we have not really sorted out which to do or not to do. True to say that we dont like micro's or virtuals too much, and we have never logged a locationless. The upshot is I guess, if the area we have cleared has a certain ratio of difficulty, that will be our ratio too.

Hey Nia, we like challenges, how about you ?

You select three caches you have done (within 100 miles of home) for us to do. We will do the same for you and we will have a race to complete all three. You up for it ?

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:

Indeed! http://www.trbf.com/teasel/bearhunt.php

Obviously everything el10t said is entirely true. But it was fun to write and my php skills are still pretty shakey and need the practice!

[This message was edited by Teasel on November 24, 2002 at 08:08 AM.]

Well, the latest to add to your list is Dan & Pid's "Burial Mound".

Guess that one will be there for a while. icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

quote:

Hey Nia, we like challenges, how about you ?

You select three caches you have done (within 100 miles of home) for us to do. We will do the same for you and we will have a race to complete all three. You up for it ?

Tim & June (Winchester)

icon_smile.gif

We are up for it.

How about 2 that we have done and one that we have placed.. and the same for you.

I'll e-mail you our home co-ordinates, and you can start to pick them.

Send us yours. Team Nia

Tech-no notice

quote:

Guess that one will be there for a while. icon_biggrin.gif

Maybye not, we might be going there this Friday!!!!

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

Wqablz-xqxw tdqml kwfwm twjowcl di klelqklqok ejw hepw gt dm lbw ktdl!

26 27.75 34.2(recuring) 41.09275 480.048 55.027777777(carrys on!) 62.01749271

quote:

Indeed! http://www.trbf.com/teasel/bearhunt.php

You can relegate Tyndale's Stump to the bottom of your list!! We got there this afternoon as the light was failing and saved the poor little bear from another night out in the cold.

Got one at last and am I chuffed or what???

Thank you, Tim & June. Number 62 has found a new home.

John & Hil

You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing.

I can't manually add or remove caches from the list, I'm afraid. The page works by finding all the caches where Tim&June were one of the last four visitors. It then looks for key phrases like 'left ... bear', 'no room ... bear' or 'took ... teddy', etc, etc to try to guess the likelyhood of a bear being in the cache. It's not very accurate, but it'll have to do until Jeremy adds bear tracking to the geocaching.com 'log a find' page icon_wink.gif

Promptly logged finds should show up on the stats within 24hrs. If people take more than 4 days to write up a log, then there can be a delay of up to a week, but I'm working on bringing that figure down (without hammering geocaching.com more than is necessary).

quote:

Guess that one will be there for a while.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Michael Blitz:

Maybye not, we might be going there this Friday!!!!

If you pull it off in one trip I will rank you above Tim and June....but I don't see it possible at the moment a little more experience and maybe you will suceed...until then Burial Mound is goal above a goal.

(no advertisement meant)

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Weasel:

If you pull it off in one trip I will rank you above Tim and June....but I don't see it possible at the moment a little more experience and maybe you will suceed...until then Burial Mound is goal above a goal.

All I can say is that sounds like a bet to me!

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Weasel:

What do I get if/WHEN you fail? icon_wink.gif

Its Up to my dad but i think a friendly bet of a pint of beer/glass of coke sounds good 2 me icon_biggrin.gif