Forthcoming Inside Out TV program

Tim & June

Following the stirling and successful efforts of Kouros (well done Peter) to get geocaching on the TV again, we were approached and here's a short report.

Last week we took the producer out caching and, of course the result is that she was intrigued and hooked and, of course, now the owner of a T & J bear. icon_biggrin.gif

Almost all of the filming has been completed now with just two little pieces to go. Apparently there was so much she wanted to include that it was difficult to decide what to exclude and what to include.

The BBC are going to provide us with the contents of a cache which we will place on their behalf just before the program which is presented by Chris Packham is aired in January (exact date to be confirmed).

Part of the program includes Team Tate finding a cache which no other cacher will find. We placed the cache early on Saturday for Bob and family to find whilst being filmed. Then we took it away again. icon_biggrin.gif

Never mind, they can't log it as a find. icon_biggrin.gif

We then proceeded to Farley Mount, near our "Monumental Journey" cache to be interviewed about, guess what! BEARS !

The problem is I think they are going to refer to this, and us as "bizarre" icon_eek.gif I guess it must be true then. icon_smile.gif

We hope Richard and Beth had as much fun as we did as that was there next port of call.

We will update later when we have more information.

icon_smile.gif

Call me old fashioned but i am really against TV "advertising" for Geocaching.

We find new members all the time and so don't need to go and show ourselfs up on the TV thus getting a lot more following but also getting from this following people out just to make a nonsense of our sport.

I bet you that after the programme airs that 25 - 50% more caches go missing and 30-60% more TB's become M.I.A.

These are my views on the subject and i am sure that the majority pf cachers here will disagree with me but i suppose thats what freedom of speech is for! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by lathama:

Call me old fashioned but i am really against TV "advertising" for Geocaching.

You can just call me 'old' but I have to agree with lathama and for the same reasons. I guess there is one saving grace in that the proposed showing time is in January. The weather then could just be inclement enough to put 'casual' geocachers off. Hopefully, by the time the better weather arrives, they will have forgotten all about it.

Having said all that, I have nothing but admiration for Tim and June and in no way is this intended as 'knock' against them personally. Their dedication to the sport is an inspiration to us all.

John

You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stop playing.

quote:
Originally posted by lathama:

I bet you that after the programme airs that 25 - 50% more caches go missing and 30-60% more TB's become M.I.A.

Total crap. So you think the people are going to rush out and spend £120 or more on a gps, just so they can trash a tupperware box with three quids worth of junk in it?

quote:

These are my views on the subject and i am sure that the majority pf cachers here will disagree with me but i suppose thats what freedom of speech is for! icon_smile.gif

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are way wrong on this one. Geocaching needs publicity to survive. It needs a constant supply of new faces to replace the ones who drift away to something else.

We got into geocaching through the Moss Trooper article in Computer Active, as did quite a few others. By word of mouth, we have only managed to recruit one other person to geocaching in over a year. Lots of people do a few caches and then quit. Even established cachers with many finds to their name just disappear. (JasonW)

What do you want to do? Turn caching into a secret activity? Maybe we should ask Jeremy to change the location of the gecocaching.com website every week so that new people can't find it. We could even adopt a secret handshake and go caching with one trouser leg rolled up. icon_biggrin.gif

You thought people would disagree with you. Well here is one who does.

As I arranged the TV spot, I guess I should say a few words.

Thanks to Team Tate and Tim & June for doing the show - you all know how shy I am!

I most definately look forward to seeing the show in January!

On the topic of advertising Geocaching, I think the is a serious danger of elitism - seriously, are you more worried that people will spend upwards of £120 to buy a GPS (not to mention the time and effort it takes to find a well hidden cache) just to trash a few caches?

Or is the problem that peole are worried about their secret sport being found out?

Just MHO, of course, and no offense intended. There are always going to be fools in the sport who want to spoil the game - whether or not Geocaching does become widely known.

Anyway, I hope that people will watch the show, and enjoy it... hopefully it will bring a few new players in!

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

This is a sport/hobby that can be enjoyed by families and inderviduals alike, and needs fresh blood on a regular basis.

What would happen to all the other sports and hobbies that, if no young blood relplaced the old.. how many would be a fond memory.

Back in 2001 I set up a I was interviewed, set up a cache for Computer Active magazine.. This caused an initial surge of interest and then dropped of to end up with a few dedicated cachers.

Hands up all those who are here because of my article?

Loosing caches is part and parcle of the hobby.. and if it is taken on par (pun intended) with golf.. I bet we loose fewer cachers than golfers golf balls.!!

So all I say is bring it on.. we probberbly have a core of 50 - 60 dedicated cachers and a wider feeld of a couple of hundred.. out of a population of 60 million. Naaa wee need more other wise we will stagnate..

Remember we need new cachers to place new caches.. if that doesn't happen we will get into a position of everyone has done them all.. what then.. Cross stitch.. No way hosay.

Poppy.. pass me brolly.. gona find a lunch box. icon_smile.gif

Moss de Boss... Sorta

I saw the article that moss is talking about and thought that it was such a good idea for a hobby that I bought a gps the next day, Gaz also saw the article and bought one and he told the Relic hunters and they went out and bought one. Before we started geocaching we were always out at week-ends for walk to some very interesting places, but now we have the opportunity to visit lots of places and see lots of scenery and parts of our heritage that we never knew existed , advertising can only be good for the sport the more people to get involved , the better it gets, I hope that after the tv prog. a few more in my area will join

well done to all of you that are willing to give up your time on a tv prog. to benifit the rest of us, Nige

The film crew came along to us after talking to Tim and June.

We got involved as the film crew were keen to take a look at some pictures from a geocache, and as has been discussed before, Tim and June don't put cameras into their caches.

Anyway, we met up with the film crew at St James Church, which is close to where Queens Oak cache is hidden. It has to be said that the spot that we 'find' the cache, and where we rehide it aren't the actual spot the cache is hidden, mainly because the crew wanted to do a scene setting shot from the top of the church tower, and then the crew thought it would be more interesting to do panning shots amongst the old gravestones, and the vicar had no problems with us doing so. (The cache is deliberately hidden outside the graveyard)

The only slight hitch we had was that the soundman managed to drop the key to the top of the tower whilst in the bell chamber, so we had to stop to find that.

We then did an interview with Chris Packham, which we had to do twice when we talked about Gulliver Bear, who isn't talked about until afterwards in the show. The entire nation will also now know that we went geocaching on our honeymoon too.. icon_rolleyes.gif

The BBC is going to show the majority of pictures from the cache in quick succession (about 15 seconds I am told). The only picutre that won't be used is one of a certain infamous geocacher clutching one of his CD's which we thought it best not to let them show.

All in all we had a great time, and thanks to Tim and June for asking us to get involved. However we still think the best bit will be the Dan and Pid night caching sequence. The rest of us will come out looking positively sane after that. icon_biggrin.gif

Richard

I'm pro advertising,

Orienteering remains a popular sport, in the countryside, regularly orgainsed, theoretically people could try and trash it, but the reality is it's not worth the bother...

We are in a similar sport, although there would appear to be a few odd balls who set up anonymous accounts to bait discussion, I think most people likely to take it up are going to play by the rules and enjoy the sport.

I found it whilst searching for a GPS update, quite by accident really!

Shares in Tupperware? Be a Geocacher!

I was one of the new cachers after seeing the article in Compuer active. Today is one of the few Sundays I have spent at home since I started. Only then because the bosslady seems to think a bit of rain is nasty. I told her that skin is waterproof, but would she have it?

Of course we are all nuts, who else would spent their time wandering around muddy fields and woods, poking about in brambles and such for a tupperware box? We need a few more to join us and hide some more plastic boxes, any advert has to be good for the sport.

quote:
Slytherin: You are entitled to your opinion, but you are way wrong on this one.

No! Iathama and Pharisee are not "way wrong" any more than you are totally misguided in your own "opinion".

As usual, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Yes, many activities need a constant supply of recruits to replace those who do not maintain sufficient committment. But how many?

I have next to no skills of statistical analysis and I wonder how large the pool of live caches needs to be to satisfy the "average" cacher. The T&Js of this world (all power and respect to them) are far from average and, at the rate they eat caches, certainly need plenty more to be planted. But what of the weekend cacher, perhaps only clocking up a few per week (or month)?

Now, more than ever, I wish we still had access to geocacheuk.com's stats pages. I'm sure teasel (and jeremyp) would have been able to come up with some answers.

Surely we should be more concerned with the number of new, quality caches planted and maintained than the number of cache hunters joining the sport.

There are risks associated with untargeted advertising and, in this instance, they are not simply to do with cache vandalism. They have everything to do with how the sport is perceived by those who influence our freedom to cache, i.e. landowners.

quote:
Tim & June: The problem is I think they are going to refer to this, and us as "bizarre"

Journalists, in all media, are notorious for distorting (or perhaps I should say "selecting") the facts in order to create a good story. I couldn't care less if I'm regarded as bizarre by the public at large for my habit of skulking around in bushes and hedgerows - not to mention my geocaching activities icon_wink.gif

quote:
Kouros: Or is the problem that peole are worried about their secret sport being found out?

This is a small, densly populated country with limited public access land. Many of our physical caches have been (and could only be) placed in locations where official permission ought first to have been secured. However, if such permission had been sought, it would probably have been denied. That is the nature of bureaucracy. If in doubt, say "No!". We should also bear in mind that, technically, placing a physical cache is an act of littering.

This being the case, I believe there is a real need to keep things discrete. Not "secret" or masonic but "low-key".

If we're not careful we could make it so that most caches have to be virtual or where treasure hunts reveal the co-ordinates of a physical cache in the front garden of the cache owner.

Comparing geocaching to orienteering is misleading. Orienteering tends to have organised events, well planned and with the permission of landowners. But, yes, geocaching could be forced down a road where physical caches are created for and active for an event only, thereafter being removed and all references to their location deleted. Is that what we want? I think not!

I appreciate the sincerity and good intentions of those who are seeking actively to promote this crazy sport but I beg you not to let enthusiasm blind you to the risk of over-exposing an activity which can only exist (in its present form) with the blessing of landowners - landowners who currently are largely ignorant of the sport's existance.

I'm not "way wrong" or "way right" on this - it's just my opinion.

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

A couple of points come to mind now.

There is a need for new blood to be drawn into the game because once all the current cachers have placed caches in their favorite locations the quality of the locations is bound to go down. New blood brings a whole new range of 'their favorite places'.

If we had not seen a news article on TV in the USA, we would never have found out about geocaching. Hmm! Some might see that as a negative icon_biggrin.gif

As far as we are aware, there were no caches trashed after the Carlton TV slot that Team Tate did a while ago. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

Sorry, Dan and Pid, when I said there were just two little bits to do, I did not mean to imply that your contribution was 'small' but the majority of the filming had been done.

Again, just our own 2p's worth.

I also have to say how well behaved the Team Tate children were, it was a miserable, cold day and they did admiraby well. Even Bob behaved most of the time icon_biggrin.gif

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

Team Tate have been actively involved in Geocaching for nearly a year. It has been an intersting year, finding a new hobby, meeting up with some really nice people and making the most of days we would otherwise have sat at home vegetating in front of the television.

We became aware of the hobby through two places on the internet: The Garmin website, and another website of an individual who has done as much for the sport as he has done against it (RL). Had I not come across these two artcles, I would probably have never given it a go.

I have made it quite clear on previous entries to these forums that I am pro-advertising. I make no bones about how I approach the hobby, and by following a simple set of guidlelines have had tremendous fun both finding and setting caches.

As far as I am concerned, advertsing can only be good for the hobby as a whole. It is one of the few Internet based hobbies that does not rely on corporate advertsing to survive (e.g.no banners on ANY of the web pages), and any advertising that DOES exist is designed to benefit the sport (e.g. deals on equipment, etc.).

I am not going to get into the debate of who is right, and who is wrong. I have my beliefs and others have their own. However, based on the views expressed by people that I meet, when I tell them I'm a Geocacher, it is usually met with intrigue and interest:

They WANT to know more.

They WANT to know how they can play.

They WANT to know how they can get started.

With all these questions, I am MORE than willing to let them know by directing them to the Geocaching website, and letting them find out more. In my own way, I am advertising.

With regard to the issue of trashed caches, I have said this before, and I will say it again. If some idiot wants to pay £120 for a GPS, and then go out an trash caches, there is NOTHING you can do about it. Taking this to the extreme, if joy-riders were really worried about a jail term for their activities, would they continue to do it. If murderers of rapists were worried about the consequences of their actions, would it deter them. OK, now I am taking things to extremes, but the sames 'rules' apply in the form of laws that are designed to protect the well being of the 99.99% of the population that are not joy-riders, murders of rapists (or cache-trashers).

If it is the mentality people to trash caches, they will. All we can do is follow the guidelines, hide caches in sensible areas, and seek landowner permission if in doubt of a location.

With regard to the television article, we agreed to do it because the benefit to be gained by the sport (in our opinion) far outweighs any problems that could be caused. Having appreared on TV before, how many caches were trashed in the West Country thanks to our TV apprearance? How many people were introduced to the sport? If anyone knows the answers to these questions, it might, once and for all, put an end to these constant questions of what is (or is not) best for Geocaching.

Bob

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

quote:
Hands up all those who are here because of my article?

I can put my hand up for that.

We do need new blood for all the reasons others have said. For myself, I have little time to go out at the moment as I'm involved in three jobs and just don't have the time to drive 100 miles each way plus the time for the actual hunt. (I note from my stats it is 3 months since I last found! Must try harder!). New blood helps build up new caches in an area so that there is always something "locally" to find. (Not completely my problem as I do have some locally I just haven't got round to). I suspect that for people who join in and then disappear, the travelling required in some pockets of the UK may be one of the reasons.

If any vandals do decide to take up the sport and trash caches I hope they manage to find them much more easily than I do otherwise they are going to be very disappoited! icon_biggrin.gif

I'd stick with the bit of advertising we have had at the moment as it seems it has probably been beneficial until we can prove it's become detrimental. I know that might then be deemed locking the door after the horse has bolted but the loss of the occasional cache in exchange for some new friends seems a small price to pay.

Finding your caches - Losing my marbles.

quote:
Originally posted by kennamatic:

... the loss of the occasional cache in exchange for some new friends seems a small price to pay.

I agree with this too. All the fellow geocachers I have met are really nice people and I would definitely call them friends.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

New ideas and new enthusiasm are the lifeblood of our game. These are gained mostly through the introduction of new people, plus ideas triggered from each other.

I don't believe that we run any significant risk of trashing caches or landowner revolt by advertising our game. It'll take a determined and sad individual to systematically trash more than one cache, and the landowners aren't going to see an article on Geocaching and say "I must check to see if one of those caches is on my property".

On the contary, if more people understand (and are interested in) Geocaching then more landowners will believe that their land / environment won't be damaged by the placement of a cache.

Dave

I can see some people have a bit of a Paranoia thing, not only does this TV programme do alot for the growth and marketing for geocaching but it also makes all people taking part famous! which is mainly the reason why I have opted to say yes to doing it, I have always wanted to be on TV and doing something like this is perfect for me and a great opertunity to go forward and do it. I mean why not? without it Geocaching would stay where it is, I believe in growth and ambition because if we all just sit here and vegitate geocaching is going to die rather than grow!

In a way those that say it isnt right to let people know about it are protective, because we need new people and so far I havent talked to anyone or met anyone from this website that I do not like. Everyone is totally sound and I have every thought for it staying that way no matter who joins.

If anything, those of you who do not want this prgramme broadcast should not be saying you do not want it you should be pleading with Garmin and Magellan to UP the price of GPS's to deter as appose to ban.

Cheers

Pid

Ben Piddington http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

quote:
Originally posted by MarkRobb:

Think back to when you started and how you started and most will conclude they started after having read or seen some well placed publicity. Mine was an article in a magazine at my barber shop

Gives a whole new meaning to "something for the weekend, Sir?" icon_biggrin.gif

Dont worry people who are against the idea, once people see me and pid on tv they will never want to hear about geocaching ever again.

My personal view is that no one will spend the money on a gps just to trash our caches. If they do then they really would be sad. Sounds like some people want to keep the numbers of cachers, and caches, to a bare minimum. I would love to see loads more people out and about hiding and finding lunchboxes. The more hidden the more I can find icon_smile.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk

I have enjoyed reading all the above comments.

As long as we get people who dissagree, and argue their points without it turning into a slanging match, that is good.

I have been using the internet for a long while. To start with it was "fantastic, everything was free, all web pages were made by enthusiasts. there was NO advertising, the only down side was "porn" but it was not forced on you, you had to look for it.

Now it is all "profit" and my kids get pornographic (spam) e-mails every week.

I just worry about the people that might see a "profit" in geocaching. Just look how much trouble just one caused.

The more geocachers the better.

But one person trying to make money from it is one to many.

Steve (from team Nia)

Tech-no notice

I have found this thread very interesting and would add my 2p.

I strongly subscribe to the 'leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures' approach to the outdoors. I am also inspired by the 'No Trace Use' approach as promoted by the Applacaion Trail for example, which includes guidance such as

'...your challenge is to leave no evidence of your visit so that the next person can enjoy a natural scene ... tread lighlt so that nature can endure and replenish...'

As such, whilst I love the idea of geocaching, I am also wary of a rapidly increasing number of tupperware boxes littering our countryside, presenting a potential hazard to animals etc.

Any promoting of the sport must include the environment friendly aspect, ie 'the cache in, trash out' ethos, and of course make reference to the virtual, trig point, benchmarks forms of geocaching.

Any mass increase in the number of people geocaching, may, unfortunately lead to more inappropriate caches or rubbish being left in the countryside.

Anyone agree or am I alone on this aspect?

quote:

Anyone agree or am I alone on this aspect?

No, you're not alone.

It would seem that We're in the very small minority that opposes advertising but I stand by what I said earlier.

Of course I don’t mean to imply that new geocachers are not welcome… they most certainly are. A friend introduced me to the game and I, in turn, have introduced a couple more. The individuals and families that I've met whilst out looking for caches have been friendly and responsible people. I look forward to meeting more of you in due course…. I think.

We’re only going to recommend it to people we believe are going to behave responsibly but you don’t have that control with mass publicity.

Let me put a hypothetical scenario to you…

The local gang of teenage ‘low-lives’ are meeting in the local under-pass as they do every night. The night’s empties are littering the floor and all is well with their world. Then one of them asks “Did you see that program on the box last night?” He goes on to describe the delights of geocaching to his mates. They’re bored and this is new so they decide that they’re going to have some. In a short space of time two or three cars are missing their radios, an old lady has been mugged for her pension and a couple of school kids have had their mobile phones nicked. Sound familiar so far? It does where I live.

Next thing you know, half a dozen yobs have bought a cheap GPSr, they’ve stolen a car and are out in the countryside kicking Tupperware boxes all over the local farmers field just for the craic. The farmer finds his prize heifer choking on a McDonalds spaceman and suddenly it IS spread all over the front page of the Sun. All geocachers are suddenly labelled as countryside littering, cow killing maniacs.

OK, I know that’s a bit far fetched and I’ll probably get flamed, but it only takes one bad apple to spoil the barrel or something like that. Just one piece of bad publicity and we’ll be on the ‘hit list’ of every local council and land owning body in the country. If the National Trust was to ban geocaching on their land and the Farmers Union got into the act as well; you can kiss goodbye to geocaching in this country. That’s not something I want to see any more than you all do. The longer we can keep a low profile, the longer we’ll be able to enjoy geocaching.

John

I am Pierre, ze famous French fighter pilot. When I go down, I go down in flames.

I think you should bare in mind that this program isnt going to be seen by ONLY yobs who want to trash caches,,,,,people who are bodies in the National Trust may also see the program and take a fancy to it.....so long as we have the right people on our side we are ok! Unfortunatly getting the good right people on board makes it possible for the wrong ones.....

BUT the right ones so far have out numbered the wrong ones by miles!

Reckon what you said was a little far fetched and noone would actually do the process of what you said but theres no point in hounding you for it....don't worry!

Boldly then! like noone else before!

Pid icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Geo Weasel:

I think you should bare in mind that this program isnt going to be seen by ONLY yobs who want to trash caches,,,,,

A few hundred responsible new geocachers would probably go un-noticed. One idiot probably wouldn't!!

quote:

Unfortunatly getting the good right people on board makes it possible for the wrong ones.....

That's pretty much why I'm against advertising. Thanks for your help, Pid

quote:
Reckon what you said was a little far fetched and noone would actually do the process of what you said but theres no point in hounding you for it....don't worry!

Yes, it was, deliberately, and I don't icon_smile.gif but thanks for making me feel better about it icon_wink.gif

John

Where did all the sunshine go?

quote:
Pharisee: If the National Trust was to ban geocaching on their land and the Farmers Union got into the act as well; you can kiss goodbye to geocaching in this country. That’s not something I want to see any more than you all do. The longer we can keep a low profile, the longer we’ll be able to enjoy geocaching.

Precisely! My point exactly. That's what I meant by "official" permission. The NT, Forestry Commission, Crown Estates, county and local councils, etc., are each responsible for most of the land on which we cache in UK. If we give the wrong impression to them (or allow such an impression to be formed) they will proscribe caching on their land and will become alert to our activities.

I would suggest that, at the moment, we are totally unknown to the powers that be in those organisations. In a year, following a few more TV articles, "Geocaching" could be a well recognised term.

This really is an issue in which neither side of the argument can be certain of the outcome. It's just a "gut feel" thing, I guess. However, I subscribe to the principle of "if it aint bust, don't fix it". I've heard no argument, to date, which convinces me that we need a major influx of new cachers (but I'm open to persuasion).

The pro-advertising lobby is quick to point to the several recruits who were made aware of the sport by magazine articles. I won't deny that but I suspect at least an equal number stumbled upon it via internet searches, links from manufacturers' sites, etc. The effect of personal recommendation and word of mouth should not be underestimated either.

Aw, heck! I guess I should just give up and accept that, in life, those who are prepared to act unilateraly will always hold sway over those who argue for discretion. I've nothing more to say icon_frown.gif

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

No, you're certainly not alone Brandwood. We also agree with your points about protecting the environment, and those points have been well put to the BBC. The Producer has also agreed to cover that on the BBC web page about the program. To be fair, we cannot tell the BBC what they MUST include, but we did try.

Pharisee, You are as entitled you your opinion as anyone else is. You will not be flamed by me for putting your point here because I value your comments and respect you for them as I know you do ours.

As Nia said earlier, "As long as we get people who dissagree, and argue their points without it turning into a slanging match, that is good."

Well, you might have guessed by now that I am about to take issue with you.

Yes, I realise that you knew your scenario was just a little bit far-fetched. Perhaps a little more realistic would be the 'Jack-the-Lad' who nicks his Dads GPS and goes off behaving like an absolute arse.

Have to repeat though, that there were no reports of any caches trashed after the Carlton TV program. Not even the cache which they filmed was trashed.

Let's hope that I am right and the opposition to publicity are worrying just a little too much.

I did email a cacher in USA to enquire as to whether there was any increase in trashing following any publicity there, and they replied that they had not noticed anything.

I guess that to a certain extent, June and I share your concerns, but we can also see the upside which we believe outweighs the downside.

Anyway, we don't reckon that any self respecting yob would be seen dead with a T & J bear. icon_biggrin.gif

Take care.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

Rather than lots of hypothesising over this, why don't we see what happens after the programme airs.

If we suddenly notice lots of cache trashing, land access problems etc then those who are opposed to advertising can say "I told you so" and we can all agree not to do any more TV programmes.

If there is no increase in trashing then we can all seek our fifteen minutes of fame next time the opportunity arises. icon_smile.gif

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

Pharisee, You are as entitled you your opinion as anyone else is. You will not be flamed by me for putting your point here because I value your comments and respect you for them as I know you do ours.

As Nia said earlier, "As long as we get people who dissagree, and argue their points without it turning into a slanging match, that is good."

Well, you might have guessed by now that I am about to take issue with you.

Thanks, Tim & June, I didn’t really expect to get flamed (or hounded, Pid) for voicing my concern. I’ve been reading these forums for long enough to know that (almost) everybody gets a fair hearing and sensible discussion usually follows. My hypothetical and far fetched example was used merely to illustrate the point that it only takes one, well publicised, negative incident to undo all work that you, Kouros and Team Tate (not to mention Dan & Pid… no, let’s not mention Dan & Pid)) have done with the BBC.

Maybe the opposition is worrying too much. I hope so. I’ve not been doing this for very long and I’ve got a lot of caching up to do. If no Tupperware get trashed as a result of the program then I will be the first to admit I was wrong

quote:

Anyway, we don't reckon that any self respecting yob would be seen dead with a T & J bear. icon_biggrin.gif

As for your last point… lol… Just about anyone who knows me will tell you I’ve been a self respecting yob ever since the early 60’s when, along with a lot of other ‘Rockers’ I took delight in heaving Lambrettas over the sea wall at Clacton. I’ve now got two of your bears and as soon as I can find a black leather jacket small enough, one of them will find a new home tucked up under the screen on my Honda (The pretty ribbon around the neck is gonna have to go, though. icon_wink.gif )

John

Where did all the sunshine go?

"Call me old fashioned but i am really against TV "advertising" for Geocaching"

I'm with Lathama,Pharisee and Brandwood......Geocaching has enjoyed phenomenal growth over the past year. More than 1000 caches have been set since this time last year.You only have to look at the map and see the concentration of caches, (especially in the north)and even allowing for the ones that get trashed, we can't sustain that.The U.K is not an infinite land mass for goodness sake.

You can have all the best publicity in the world, but one piece of bad publicity from an irate landowner or some beauracratic half wit will undoubtedly undo it all.

Geocaching R.I.P.

icon_rolleyes.gif

"Most have started because of ADVERTISING..."

Maybe they have in your country......

I was introduced to Geocaching by recommendation from someone who "stumbled" across the Geocaching site on the internet.

Well look on the brightside! The more caches there are the more there are to try and trash.

Not only that - It would take a very very long time to wipe us out. I mean I wouldnt back down to the trashers....Catch the little beggers in the act and pounse on them with pitch forks I say! They'll soon get the message icon_redface.gif)

Not that that would do anything for the future of course. But least we would still have caches....

Sorry not going over the top with this am I?

quote:

Catch the little beggers in the act and pounse on them with pitch forks I say! They'll soon get the message icon_redface.gif)

Are you SURE that's legal, i mean pickaxes are a bit extreme, now a sniper gun.... hehe!

I may be dumb but im not stupid

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

Wqablz-xqxw tdqml kwfwm twjowcl di klelqklqok ejw hepw gt dm lbw ktdl!

26 27.75 34.2(recuring) 41.09275 480.048 55.027777777(carrys on!) 62.01749271

Praps not entirely legal but still, an idea!

Have just got in from filming with the BBC. Chris Packham was a thurilly nice bloke and I did oh so enjoy aimlessly rumageing around bushes with Dan pretending to look for a cache icon_smile.gif LoL.

One point I decided to climb a tree and then Dan crawled on his hands and knees into a thorn bush icon_smile.gif Sure it will make great family viewing!

Have to say Chris's Gulliver Bear line is an absolute classic. And look out for the bit where we tell our story of the Sniper Rifle to the intereviewer! Should be a classic.

Can't wait for the program.

Should be a cracker.

Cheers Peter B for organising it.

Pid

quote:
Originally posted by washboy:

quote:
Tim & June: The problem is I think they are going to refer to this, and us as "bizarre"

Journalists, in all media, are notorious for distorting (or perhaps I should say "selecting") the facts in order to create a good story. I couldn't care less if I'm regarded as bizarre by the public at large for my habit of skulking around in bushes and hedgerows - not to mention my geocaching activities icon_wink.gif

Bad news boys and girls: most people I have spoken to about geocaching reckon that it is bizarre. "Nerds" and "anoraks" are words that have featured in discussions I have participated in about geocaching too. In that sense, the programme producers are probably right.

Having said that, who cares? Other people's opinions don't alter the sport or our enjoyment of it.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Bad news boys and girls: most people I have spoken to about geocaching reckon that it is bizarre. "Nerds" and "anoraks" are words that have featured in discussions I have participated in about geocaching too. In that sense, the programme producers are probably right.

This is moving a little away from the topic of the thread, but please forgive me...

Has anyone else noticed that peoples first reactions to Geocaching don't last very long? For a while, my Girlfriend teased me about my "trainspottery" hobby, but as soon as she joined me on a hunt, she was hooked - and now has her own TB lined up and ready to go!

Similarly, her dad laughed when I tried to explain it, but is now seriously looking at the prices of GPS units.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

quote:
Have just got in from filming with the BBC.

So, having finally found 'Burial Mound', and then visiting 'Fly By', I think to myself 'hey, I'll call Pid & drop by, maybe nip out for a swift half'.....

I phone the lad, to be told 'its not a good time'... I was seriously worried about the lad's health.... its only later I find out what he was REALLY doing.

Not to worry, I drove to Peterborough (advice: if you want to visit Peterborough, do NOT start at Aylesbury!) and did 'Mary Queen of Scots' cache at 9:30pm, in the dark!

I'm looking forward to seeing this TV program: should be fun.

Paul

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....

quote:
Has anyone else noticed that peoples first reactions to Geocaching don't last very long? For a while, my Girlfriend teased me about my "trainspottery" hobby, but as soon as she joined me on a hunt, she was hooked - and now has her own TB lined up and ready to go!

If only mate If only! All the people i have told all say I am mad, even tried explainign it to the web designer at work who checked it out an just laughed at me....he has a GPS in his Beemer, shows all the roads and tells you when to turn etc, so he knows what a GPS is but I dont think he grasped the point of finding the lunchbox and signing the book part! Then theres Dan's girlfriend.....would love to say she loved it but I get the feeling she loathes it..Dan whadda ya reckon mate?

Paul..AsI say well done for finding burial mound|! not sure what I am more proud of though,,,,,,you getting that one or you finding a cache totally in the dark!!! fairplay on both accounts.....when your next in the area make sure you drop by....I'll try and not be filming for any crazy TV prgrams or wandering in any woods icon_wink.gif

Pid

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

This is moving a little away from the topic of the thread, but please forgive me...

Similarly, her dad laughed when I tried to explain it, but is now seriously looking at the prices of GPS units.

I had exactly the same experience with el10t.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

quote:

or am I going to have to get one of you lovely people from Winchester to record it for me and give it to me on the 19th? icon_smile.gif

Ah, maybe I WILL have to bring the projector along so we can all watch the video....

Paul

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....

I have been trying to find out how digital satellite recievers can be tuned to recieve other BBC regions.

It seems that this is not possible. icon_frown.gif

But then again, if anybody out there knows of a way to hack this ... icon_wink.gif

The Beeb is going to send us a video and I have requested permission to put this on the web for all to see. We are still waiting for that permission to be granted. I'm sure that if we ask "The Cat" nicely, he will add it to the G:UK.com site.

Tim & June (Winchester)

Almost a year ago, my family and I went on a cache hunt with a reporter from our local news station here in Texas. When the program aired in March, there was a surge of new cachers in the area. A large percentage of those new cachers found a few caches, then lost interest in the sport and have disappeared. Many others have remained semi-active in the sport, logging an occasional cache from time to time. A few became serious geocaching addicts, and are among the most prolific finders - and hiders - in the area.

I did not see any increase in the number of plundered caches. In the nine months since the program aired, there has been roughly a 500% increase in the number of active caches. Many of these are among the best caches around.

Television "advertising" was a wonderful thing for geocaching in my area. Hopefully, it will have a similar effect in the UK.

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

quote:

What newsroom do you get in Winchester?

We Get BBC South today down here.

On a related point, next time anyone watches south today, look at the background image, half of it is drawn (The clock/guildhall) and the other bit is filmed, kool huh?!

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

Wqablz-xqxw tdqml kwfwm twjowcl di klelqklqok ejw hepw gt dm lbw ktdl!

26 27.75 34.2(recuring) 41.09275 480.048 55.027777777(carrys on!) 62.01749271