Murder cache

SimonG

This isn't quite as sinister as the title makes it sound!

I'm currently thinking out an idea for a cache, but I'm not sure how well it will work - so I thought I'd throw it out here for suggestions.

The idea is to have a series of virtuals leading up to a single physical. Each virtual will give you a code which you have to enter on a website. This will access the next scene of a murder mystery story accompanying the series. Each scene will be set at the location you just visited, and give you the lat and long of the next virtual. Once you've done all the virtuals, you have to solve the mystery to work out the location of the physical cache.

The big problem is that unless you have a web-enabled laptop with you in the field, you couldn't do it all in one trip. The only alternative I can see is for all of the caches to be physical, with hard copies of the corresponding scene inside, but this would require more maintainence than I really have time for.

So, who can come up with a way to make this workable? icon_smile.gif

W ezlf fr Cnzfajnzb Omdg, mlx mnn w prf emq fjwq nrhqb abojzd.

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

What does that actually mean, i decrypted it and it comes out as "J rmys se Pamsnwamo....."

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

If life iz a game, then y aint it fair, im alwayz the lonely 1, u dont even care :S

IMHO it doesn't matter if you can do it all in one day or not. If the virtuals are spread apart and in interesting places themselves then I see no problem with it. If the virtuals are just a means to an end then it would be best if they could all be done at the same time.

By the way I had (a less complicated) idea for a Jack the ripper cache along similar lines but decided the locatrions weren't very interesting...or safe icon_eek.gif

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

The problem is I'd like to do it so you *can* do them in a day if you have the necessary technology, which would mean they need to be close together, and would therefore be in less interesting locations. Perhaps this is the part of the plan I need to abandon.

quote:

What makes you think you used the right decryption method? icon_biggrin.gif

Care 2 show the method or give a clue?!

If life iz a game, then y aint it fair, im alwayz the lonely 1, u dont even care :S

after6beers.gif

You seem to be trunning two topics here - careful the moderators don't catch you icon_smile.gif

I like the idea of a Murder Cache but don't quite understand why it should be necessary or even desirable to complete it in one trip. Unless, of course, it's a race and the cache disappears when the first "detective" finds it. If the clues and scenario are sufficiently demanding and wide spread then it could take days or even weeks to complete and be non the worse for it !!

quote:
Originally posted by The Pharisee:

You seem to be trunning two topics here - careful the moderators don't catch you icon_smile.gif

Dats ok, i've been caught out too many times now icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, if the moderators want me 2 start a new topic on "Codebreaking" then i will gladly oblige.

quote:
Originally posted by The Pharisee:

I like the idea of a Murder Cache but don't quite understand why it should be necessary or even desirable to complete it in one trip. Unless, of course, it's a race and the cache disappears when the first "detective" finds it.

Given the amount of preparation it will take, I certainly don't intend for it to disappear after the first find! Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I wanted it to be doable in a day - it's just that that's how I originally imagined it.

My other concern was using up perfectly good locations for virtual caches. If they were all close together this wouldn't be an issue, since you wouldn't want that many physicals so near to one another. But if you have to do them all on separate occasions they'll need to be further apart or people would get sick of visiting the same place. What I might do is leave a physical cache at each location, but rely on nearby objects for the codes to access the story, so you could still complete the series even if one of the caches went missing.

I don't think I explained that very well, but I don't seem to be able to improve it.

quote:

The idea is to have a series of virtuals leading up to a single physical. Each virtual will give you a code which you have to enter on a website. This will access the next scene of a murder mystery story accompanying the series. Each scene will be set at the location you just visited, and give you the lat and long of the next virtual. Once you've done all the virtuals, you have to solve the mystery to work out the location of the physical cache.

Now that is quite scary - I have been planning a similar cache for a while now. I have crime scene photos, autopsy reports, witness interviews, plastic knives and guns (for within the caches), finger print reports, evidence bags and was planning on having a 'line up' of people, each with a set of co-ords (that you decipher with the clues) - only one of which will get you to the correct final cache location (but I was going to pick them so that the cache page clue would be applicable to all the potential final locations Mwahahaha)

As yet I have not finalised all the details (so much planning required) and actually been out to place the caches (all of mine were going to be physical with the info available both at the site and from a web page) so I am looking forward to seeing yours.

Cheers

Nick.

Me and Mike from The Relic Hunters did a cache 'GC61DE, ID 25054', while Tracey stayed at home, solving the clues on his web-page, then phoning us with the co-ords! Made life much easier, as it was 60 miles from home! icon_biggrin.gif Haven't checked to see if it's still active, mind.

GAZ

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm SURE I can get the car closer!