Making use of 50MB of webspace

quote:
Originally posted by Omally:

quote:
Originally posted by DerekReed:

A grockle is a tourist. (Especially of the hankie on the head and ketchup and chips while sitting on the beach...)

Are they the ones that drink Watneys Red Barrel and keep comlaining about the food "ooh it's soooo greasy here isn't it?" whilst talking to an overweight greengrocer from Ketchin and Boventry and rubbing sun tan lotion into their swollen, puffy, purulent red flesh 'cos they over-did it on the first day...? (I think I should get out more icon_wink.gif)

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

Yep, They're the ones... icon_biggrin.gif

One day my sigline will stop changing.

Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by DerekReed:
Originally posted by Gaz, Suni, Jack & Kashi:

I was reading the entry on The Tiger, East Dean....what on earth is a GROCKLE!?! icon_confused.gif

QUOTE]

A grockle is a tourist. (Especially of the hankie on the head and ketchup and chips while sitting on the beach...)

One day my sigline will stop changing.

Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". icon_smile.gif

I think the term originated in Cornwall. I first heard it down there about 40 years ago. Now it's use seems to be pretty wide spread and it usually refers to 'anyone that isn't a local'.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D (wwh):

Another more or less derogatory term for a tourist is an emmett - I've no idea where it comes from though.

Bill

I think it means "Ant", possibly in a Gaelic, rather like the Australian Aborigine "Mintja".

Tourists, like ants (from a "natives POV), swarm all over the place just when you're enjoying yourself, nick all the grub, bite you and then disappear as soon as it rains.

Claire (my wife) is Cornish. She says Emmets are definitley tourists to Cornwall. Grockels are tourists to Devon, Somerset etc.

They are very protective over their names for tourists, these West country citizens icon_wink.gif.

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by Paul G0TLG:

As an aside - make it easy for visitors to your site to contact you by giving an e-mail address!

But bear in mind that by publishing your email address, you can expect Evil Harvester Thingies to stick you on a million spam lists. There are ways you can obfuscate your address to make it harder for harvester robots to read - this site will convert it to HTML character codes, which will look identical to visitors but will (hopefully) elude the robots. Or there's this site, which produces a bit of javascript to display your address. That method is just about guaranteed harvester proof, but it does mean anyone with javascript disabled can't email you.

What's your favourite thing?

quote:
But bear in mind that by publishing your email address, you can expect Evil Harvester Thingies to stick you on a million spam lists. There are ways you can obfuscate your address to make it harder for harvester robots to read - this site will convert it to HTML character codes, which will look identical to visitors but will (hopefully) elude the robots.

Thanks for the tip.

Our Mail address is now Obfuscated.

We take our children everywhere, but they always find their way back home...

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz, Suni, Jack & Kashi:

Oh Bugger..

After reading this lot i'm starting to worry.

I have probably violated every guideline Teasel has just mentioned!

I have links to GC.com & G:UK without asking

Thank you! G:UK are happy for anyone to link to any of our pages, no need to ask. Let me know your URL when it's ready and I'll it to our links list icon_wink.gif

quote:
but i'm still worrying... icon_frown.gif

Don't worry!

Nobody's going to "send the boys round" because you linked to their logo, rather than copying it! The worst that's going to happen is you receive an email explaining the situation and asking you to stop. A large site once linked to one of the images on my clipart site and suddenly I had thousands upon thousands of hits on my little ADSL line, which wasn't nice, but unless you expect millions of hits to your page, nobody's going to notice, much less care.

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG

There are ways you can obfuscate your address to make it harder for harvester robots to read

If you have PHP (or CGI), you could also provide your users a form to email you from. This has several advantages:

- your email address remains completely private

- it works on any browser, even without javascript

- it's easier for people using machines at work / the library, who aren't set up to email from the machine they're on

- you can add boxes for specific feedback (eg do you like the new logo? yes/no)

If anyone wants a working example of an email form, I'm happy to knock something up.

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

Hey Omally! It may not be finished yet (and some of the colour scheme started my migraine off) but anyone who likes those authors is fine by me!

Just a one thing...a couple of the picture links went to the BT Internet news page?

Keep going, let us all know when there's some more content (but don't let it stop you caching)!

Paul

(Edited for spelling)

I came, I cached, I fell over in the mud

Yeh, sorry about the disorganised links (but not the colour scheme! I nearly used bright pink text on a lime green bg... icon_wink.gif)

Check back later to see if I've got round to any updates... icon_biggrin.gif

I'd better go find some more caches now, I'm deffo slipping!

quote:
Originally posted by Paul G0TLG:

While I'm not an expert on web law, I'd say don't worry too much, unless you've blatantly infringed someone's copyright. If you've got a reasonable degree of common sense, and weren't worried before you saw all the warnings, you're probably OK. The worst that is likely to happen is you'll get an email from someone saying 'Hey, it would have been nice if you'd asked us', or even 'Please remove this link'.

Unless you live in the Shetlands. In 1996 they had a court case there when Shetland News were linking to articles on the Shetland Times website. After 13 months of legal arguments they settled out of court. I think they can still link but now have to say in the link that it's a Shetland Times news item. There was also a case where Microsoft were taken to court by ticketmaster on a deep linking issue but I'm not sure what the outcome of that was....

BTW is any of you want to link to any of my websites then please feel free icon_biggrin.gif. I could do with the hits... icon_biggrin.gif

Any message is from Mr Hedgehog.