Making use of 50MB of webspace

Does anyone have any good links to good html primers or any other useful bits of advice? I have 50MB of webspace available with my BTopenworld account, so I'd like to make use of it. I've cobbled together some pages with links and piccys etc using M$ Frontpage (o.k. stop laughing! icon_wink.gif) but I'm under the impression that there are much better tools out there. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm just putting together some nonsense and will include cache photos etc. so I don't want it to be all-singing-all-dancin-Java-everywhere: just a simple, good-looking-easy-to-build-and-view website.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure others would find your potential advice useful as well. Cheers!

"Woof" quoth he. Oh, and "Grrr" also.

What Trolls?

quote:
Originally posted by Omally:

I've cobbled together some pages with links and piccys etc using M$ Frontpage (o.k. stop laughing! icon_wink.gif) but I'm under the impression that there are much better tools out there.

I recommend one called 'Microsoft Notepad'. Actually I take that back, because it doesn't have infinite undo - but I do think you're better to write the html yourself instead of using an editor. You get much neater pages, and you learn a lot more.

For learning html (and other web-related languages), Webmonkey is a great place to start. Once you've mastered that, you might like to play with php - it's fun! I find phpbuilder and this php manual to be useful - note though that your hosting service has to support php for it to work. I don't know whether BT does.

Lastly, here's what not to do!

What's your favourite thing?

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

Lastly, http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html what not to do!

http://www.simong.org/Favourite/index.php

OOPS!! I have one site with frames and one without icon_redface.gif

I found this great editor which is really easy to use. Stones webwriter

You need a basic knowledge of HTML to use it, but it has the ability to view in internal and external browsers, direct upload to the server and a good syntax checker. It also has a good built in library of common tasks to save lots of typing.

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by Mudplugger:

quote:
your hosting service has to support php for it to work. I don't know whether BT does

A simple way to test php - support copy the following into notepad and save it as test.php

<? phpinfo() ?>

Then got the http://www.yourdomain.whatever/test.php

If it does have support you will see all of your server variables displayed for your enjoyment.

You mean <?php phpinfo(); ?>

Anyway it's best to keep away from scripting until you are reasonably confident with HTML. Personnally, i use a program called NEdit for editing HTML. It's only a standard text editor but has support for syntax highlighting. If you're a Windows user it's probably not an option but there are loads of syntax highlighting editors out there.

Slight rant: The code stuff you see embedded in web page source is not Java. It's a language called javascript invented by Netscape which has nothing to do with java except it's name. Personnally I think it's a really good idea to keep away from it for public web pages - many people including me often browse with javascript disabled.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.gagb.org.uk

quote:

Actually No I meant exactly what I said........Cause it works..........HAVE YOU ACTUALLY TRIED IT OR READING A PAGE FROM A TEXTBOK OF YOURS ?

<pedantic mode>

quote:
Slight rant: The code stuff you see embedded in web page source is not Java.It's a language called javascript

</pedantic>

Yeh course it was originally called ECMA script but who cares!!! icon_wink.gif

quote:

Actually No I meant exactly what I said........Cause it works..........HAVE YOU ACTUALLY TRIED IT OR READING A PAGE FROM A TEXTBOK OF YOURS ?

I can't tell you whether jeremyp was reading from a textbok, but his method follows the php standard. I don't think your method does, so it might work, but there again it might not, depending on how your web space host provider thingy (what's the correct term for that? I can never remember) interprets it.

On Windoze, my preferred editor is editplus. It's got syntax highlighting for a number of languages (including html and php), has friendly FTP integration, and good search and replace functionality.

Especially if you use Javascript, but even if you don't, I implore you to test your web pages on lots of different browsers (not just the latest and greatest version of IE). Going back to IE5.0 and Netscape4.7 is a good idea.

Opera is a good browser for web development. It's easy to turn off frames, inline frames, javascript, cookies, animated gifs etc, to see what it looks like for people with old browsers or who, like JeremyP, simply prefer to browse in peace without whizzy flashing bits which someone put in "because they could". Of course, its implementation of Javascript is as nasty as Netscape's, but you can't have everything!

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Personnally I think it's a really good idea to keep away from it for public web pages - many people including me often browse with javascript disabled.

Why?

There are no security issues with JavaScript, so why dissable it?

I teach JavaScript, see my web site below, and don't forget to turn JavaScript on :-)

JavaScript is for animating web objects, menus, and validating forms, so I can't see any good reason for turning it off????

Yours Roy

JavaScript Trainer www.jast.co.uk

WoodSmoke

Logo5.gif GeocacheUK - very useful resources for the UK Geocaching community

quote:
Originally posted by Wood Smoke:

JavaScript is for animating web objects, menus, and validating forms, so I can't see any good reason for turning it off????

JavaScript can be used for some worthwhile things (like validating forms), but in practice, it usually seems to be used for annoying gimmicks (like animated web objects and menus) and popup ads. Personally I'll only use it for things that absolutely can't be done without it, or else make sure that if you do have it disabled, everything will still work. Preferably both.

I use Dreamweaver for all my webdesign no tonly does it have a code editor, it is a WYSWYG too.

It also adds all your basic Java scripting needed for forms and things + much more.

A usefull editor is by cute FTP a bit basic but easy to use, and as it's dame says your can upload, dowload and edit online, your can also change permisions of files with it too. icon_biggrin.gif

GEOC.gif | tbrace.jpg

quote:
I can't tell you whether jeremyp was reading from a textbook, but his method follows the php standard. I don't think your method does, so it might work, but there again it might not, depending on how your web space host provider thingy (what's the correct term for that? I can never remember) interprets it.

I was going to try and do the decent thing and let this lie but I can't (sorry) the code I showed above is perfectly valid and is what both Wrox Press and SAMS include in their PHP textbooks.

Maybe this is because I use PHP4 and you required the other stuff for previous versions I can't comment cause I don't use them.

On the subject of the best software if you can get hold of it get a copy of Dreamweaver MX Studio it's all you will ever need and is way better than Hotdog,Notepad! (I can't believe anybody would seriously suggest this) or any others listed above.

No contest it's Dreamweaver every time.

quote:

I was going to try and do the decent thing and let this lie but I can't (sorry)

No problem!

quote:
the code I showed above is perfectly valid and is what both Wrox Press and SAMS include in their PHP textbooks.

Fair enough - I've not come across that notation, but I'm no expert. If you say it's valid, I'll believe you.

quote:
...and is way better than Hotdog,Notepad! (I can't believe anybody would seriously suggest this)

Okay, I wasn't entirely serious about Notepad! I was just trying to make the point that I'd recommend a plain old text editor over some fancy graphical thing.

quote:

quote:
I can't tell you whether jeremyp was reading from a textbook, but his method follows the php standard. I don't think your method does, so it might work, but there again it might not, depending on how your web space host provider thingy (what's the correct term for that? I can never remember) interprets it.

I was going to try and do the decent thing and let this lie but I can't (sorry) the code I showed above is perfectly valid and is what both Wrox Press and SAMS include in their PHP textbooks.

Maybe this is because I use PHP4 and you required the other stuff for previous versions I can't comment cause I don't use them.

Going off memory, I believe whether you need the "php" there or not depends on how you have the Apache PHP module configured. I could be wrong though.

Groover

From the php manual:

quote:
There are four sets of tags which can be used to denote blocks of PHP code. Of these, only two (<?php. . .?> and <script language="php">. . .</script&gticon_wink.gif are always available; the others can be turned on or off from the php.ini configuration file. While the short-form tags and ASP-style tags may be convenient, they are not as portable as the longer versions. The first way, <?php. . .?>, is the preferred method

So there you go! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Wood Smoke:

Why?

There are no security issues with JavaScript, so why dissable it?

Because advertisers use it to do weird thing to your browser (e.g. put pop-ups in). Also I disagree with your foolhardy assertion that there are *no* issues with javascript on anybody's implementation. There may not be any *known* issues with Javascript on browser x.

quote:

I teach JavaScript, see my web site below, and don't forget to turn JavaScript on :-)

I have no objection to you using it as long as your site still looks reasonably OK without it.

quote:

JavaScript is for ... and validating forms, so I can't see any good reason for turning it off????

As long as you don't *rely* only on Javascript for validating your forms. Because people can bypass the validation by turning javascript off.

-------

jeremyp

quote:

quote:

Why are you shouting?

If you don't put the php after the <? how does the web server know which scripting language to invoke? It may work on *your* server, but probably not in general. Also, the correct syntax of PHP requires a semi-colon at the end of each statement. Again, it may work on *your* server but not in general.

BTW I have done some real PHP scripting.

quote:

quote:
Slight rant: The code stuff you see embedded in web page source is not Java.It's a language called javascript

</pedantic>

Yeh course it was originally called ECMA script but who cares!!! icon_wink.gif

Attention to detail is vital for any good programmer. If you don't get it right, your program will break so I'll take being called pedantic as a compliment. Java != Javascript.

-------

jeremyp

quote:
BTW I have done some real PHP scripting

Good for you !! must make you the expert on these forums then for all technical matters icon_biggrin.gif

As stated above the Apache httpd.conf file is where you set up the php requirements.

In almost all cases php support is set so that php is no longer required in the tags.

This makes it easier for programmers to use PHP if they are familiar with ASP.

I'll take your point on the semi-colon as I can't confirm that but I will state in all cases where I have used the above it works fine . ( I should add I am not talking about a server in my kitchen but many servers on many ISP's).

quote:

Java != Javascript

True but my point was that 99% of the people who read this forum won't care.

quote:
Also I disagree with your foolhardy assertion that there are *no* issues with javascript on anybody's implementation. There may not be any *known* issues with Javascript on browser x.

Who are you to comment on someones foolhardiness ? are you suddenly an expert on all computer languages ? This individual teaches the subject I think that entitles his comments to be treated with respect. You can't manipulate users hard drives with Javascript !! full stop.

If the popups are annoying you install one of the multitude of kill pop up utilities out there and that will sort it.

Take a reality check JP people are only trying to help so get off of the soap box and word your replies constructively and not condescendingly.

P.S.

Wasn't shouting I just wanted to highlight the text a bit frog.gif

icon_wink.gif

quote:

In almost all cases php support is set so that php is no longer required in the tags.

The key word here is 'almost'.

quote:

quote:

Java != Javascript

No, 99% of the people who read this forum won't care about this entire discussion. So, like, why are you bothering to contribute to it at all?

quote:
This individual teaches the subject I think that entitles his comments to be treated with respect.

Yeah, teachers are never wrong.

quote:
You can't manipulate users hard drives with Javascript !! full stop.

No, I think those are called exclamation marks.

quote:
Take a reality check JP people are only trying to help so get off of the soap box and word your replies constructively and not condescendingly.

I've found all of jeremyp's replies helpful and constructive.

quote:

Yeah, teachers are never wrong

Doesn't mean you can't be civil in your responses

quote:

I've found all of jeremyp's replies helpful and constructive.

Opinions will always vary.......

QUOTE] So, like, why are you bothering to contribute to it at all?

Okay point taken will now leave.......

quote:

The 1% who're writing web pages should! icon_wink.gif

quote:

You _can't_ manipulate users hard drives with Javascript !! full stop.

No, but there are numerous security holes which allow you to read arbitrary files on someone's hard drive. That's potentially worse!

quote:

It seems that JP prefers to code PHP in the style recommended by the people who wrote the language. Fine by me!

OK, so ASP assumes ASP is the only scripting language in the world to use <% and its tags therefore do not specify a language. If that's the way you prefer to work, then by all means configure your server to assume that PHP is the only scripting language to use <?. But please don't criticise others for writing portable code!

Jeez! I've always thought I was a bit of a geek for enjoying geocaching. All that technical wizadry just to help me find a box of tat under a hedge.

But this discussion takes the biscuit for arch-geekiness. Angels and heads of pins comes to mind.

Put your anoraks on boys and go outside and get some fresh air!

<sig line censored!!!>

quote:
Originally posted by wossa:

But this discussion takes the biscuit for arch-geekiness. Angels and heads of pins comes to mind.

But we've not even started religious wars about how many spaces to indent code by yet! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Anoraks? Cheek! Microporous outer shells, if you please icon_wink.gif

--

Glad to be sad!

quote:

Must admit: I got totally lost after just a few replies on this topic... I do, however, appreciate all the useful information flying around and may actually understand some of it one day! icon_biggrin.gif

By the way, Wossa, do you have any advice for someone who has access to 50MB of webspace and would like to use it to display pictures taken whilst out in the fresh air? Just wondering, since that is what this topic is about. icon_smile.gif

Geekishness aside, of course. Don't tell your friends you actually use the internet will you, I'm sure you'd simply die of embarrasment. icon_wink.gif

What Trolls?

quote:

quote:
BTW I have done some real PHP scripting

Good for you !! must make you the expert on these forums then for all technical matters icon_biggrin.gif

I was just responding to your snide comment about reading it in a text book by pointing out that yes I have written some PHP script and not just read about it. I I can't seem to win with you.

quote:

As stated above the Apache httpd.conf file is where you set up the php requirements.

This makes it easier for programmers to use PHP if they are familiar with ASP.

And then one day their web page goes down the tubes because the sysadmin at the ISP decided that scripting language "foo-bar" was much nicer than PHP and should be the default and all because the PHP scripter was too lazy to add "php" after the first <? in their script.

quote:

quote:

Java != Javascript

This particular thread is about scripting. It's reasonable to assume that it is of importance to more than 1% of the people who got below my original post. The differences between Java and Javascript are major and fundamental.

quote:

Who are you to comment on someones foolhardiness ? are you suddenly an expert on all computer languages ? This individual teaches the subject I think that entitles his comments to be treated with respect. You _can't_ manipulate users hard drives with Javascript !! full stop.

You've completely misunderstood my point. I fully accept that there is no way using legitimate javascript to manipulate the local hard drive but that's not where the security issues come from. Javascript is an interpreted scripting language. As such, it requires an interpreter to be embedded in your web browser. Interpreters (and browsers) are large complex pieces of software which inevitably have bugs in them. It's a fairly certain thing that there exist bugs such that if exactly the right bit of Javascript is passed to the interpreter, the interpreter will go off the rails and do exactly what the malicious person who wrote the Javascript wants.

The reason its foolhardy to say "there are no security problems with Javascript" is because in that statement you are saying "The Javascript language has no security issues, neither does the implementation in Internet Explorer, or in Mozilla or in Opera or in Safari or in......." In fact, forget about Javascript, if you say there are no security issues in Apache, or IIS or Mozilla or Web Objects or any sufficiently complex piece of computer technology, I'll call you foolhardy.

quote:

If the popups are annoying you install one of the multitude of kill pop up utilities out there and that will sort it.

No

quote:

When people say things that are factually incorrect, i should just let things lie then? As I said in a previous post, one of the most important attributes of a programmer is attention to detail. I've spent far too much of my working life fixing bugs caused by sloppy coding to do anything but get extremely upset when i see people today doing the same stupid things that I had beaten out of me by harsh experience ten years ago.

-------

jeremyp

Hey, I'm starting to get the hang of this html lark now! icon_cool.gif

Have spent the last 4 hours making a few pages etc (and yes, I have made a seperate folder for pictures) using Stones Webwriter 3 (thanks to Merman for the advice!) which is very easy to use. I can now see the purpose of removing all those extra tags that Frontpage puts into your coding: makes your pages load quicker cos there less coding to process (yes, I'm sure there are other reasons too)!

I'm so chuffed at actually understanding something new that I'm gonna cancel my subscription to Misogynists Monthly! icon_wink.gif

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm deffo gonna keep reading up and learning now! icon_biggrin.gif

What Trolls?

Wow! Just read through all this as the breeder of my dachshund has asked me to build a "basic" website for her. I'd been hoping to do it myself but now I think I will throw it open to someone far more technically minded/patient! Any takers for this job?! I'm happy to pay.

/advert

Sam

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

quote:
Originally posted by Rockratgirl:

I'd been hoping to do it myself but now I think I will throw it open to someone far more technically minded/patient!

Don't be put off too easily - most of this discussion has been about stuff you only need if you want to get really geeky. Forget all the php/java/javascript business - good old html is pretty straightforward, honest!

quote:

I'd been hoping to do it myself but now I think I will throw it open to someone far more technically minded/patient!

Don't be put off, Sam: My website was written using Windows Notepad and with an "HTML for Beginners" book in one hand (OK, I can't remember what the book was called, but it's something like that). I bought the book from Maplin, and if they haven't still got it in stock, they'll have something like it.

At the very least, put something together: If you then decide you don't like it, that's the time to call in someone else! But there are only a dozen or so basic instructions in HTML and once you've grasped those, it's fairly easy.

Of course, once you understand these basics, that's the time to look at the source code of other people's websites to find out how they got that effect that you like...

(Edited to take out the unintentionally patronising bit)

I came, I cached, I fell over in the mud

Many thanks to SimonG & PaulGOTLG for believing in me! Perhaps I will have a go after all. There will be some photos and some writing. How hard can that be? icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I really would like to achieve it as I've been using very very very basic HTML on my Ebay page and it would be nice to achieve more!

Sam

~ Love many, trust few, learn to paddle your own Canoe ~

~ We can't run away for ever ... but theres nothing wrong with getting a good head start ~

quote:

Many thanks to SimonG & PaulGOTLG for believing in me! Perhaps I will have a go after all. There will be some photos and some writing. How hard can that be? icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I really would like to achieve it as I've been using very very very basic HTML on my Ebay page and it would be nice to achieve more!

Start by getting a good HTML book. I used "HTML & XHTML" published by O'Reilly which is a reasonably complete treatment without being too much of a doorstop.

You'd be amazed at what you can achieve just with HTML (and a bit of CSS). It's also important because server side scripting languages (e.g. PHP and ASP) work by constructing HTML on the fly. You can't use PHP effectively without knowing some HTML.

-------

jeremyp

I seem to be getting there, slowly but surely.

Just one thing, though: if you link to anyone else site from yours, should you ask permission first? I'm not sure on ettiquette wrt this. I've also used logo's from certain sites as a picture link to the respective sites, so I'm sure permission needs to be be sought on that aspect at least before I go ahead with publicising my web-site.

quote:

if you link to anyone else site from yours, should you ask permission first?

I would say no. If someone doesn't want their stuff linked to, they shouldn't be putting it on the internet! I suppose if you think they might be unhappy then it would be polite to ask, but there's certainly no requirement.

quote:
I've also used logo's from certain sites as a picture link to the respective sites, so I'm sure permission needs to be be sought on that aspect at least before I go ahead with publicising my web-site.

Yes, though often sites say something like 'Feel free to use our logo to link to us' if you look in the right place. I know geocaching.com does.

quote:

if you link to anyone else site from yours, should you ask permission first?

It's not usual to ask prior permission to link to someone's site, though if you let people know that you've done it, you'll often find they'll add a link back to your site in return.

Some sites only allow you to link to their home page (linking to specific pages of another site - so called "deep linking" - allows people to get straight to the information they want to see, without wading through loads of adverts, and is therefore prevented by some websites).

Logos and images from other sites are a bit trickier. Some sites (like geocaching.com) require you to add a long legal blurb with further links to their site, to every page on which you include their logo. Most, however, will be happy for you to just grab their logo and add it to your page.

You should copy the logo to your site, rather than link to the original version on their server (unless instructed otherwise).

If your site uses frames (bleugh!), make sure you add TARGET='_top', or TARGET='_blank' to your links. If you don't, the linked site will be drawn in a single frame on your page, under your site's banner, with your site's URL in the address bar. This is a guaranteed way to annoy the webmasters of the sites you link to! icon_mad.gif

Oh Bugger..

icon_frown.gifI have started to knock up a site of my own. (pretty much prompted by Omallys post as I was sitting on 30mb of free space)

After reading this lot i'm starting to worry.

I have probably violated every guideline Teasel has just mentioned!

I have links to GC.com & G:UK without asking (including one to my GC.com profile & a Cache page - does that count as deep linking??) icon_confused.gif

As for "frames (bleugh!)" - I don't even know what frames are!! icon_eek.gif

I just downloaded Cutesite builder & started meddling with it. (what I wanted to happen appeared to be working so I didn't bother with the manual or help)

I think I got the TARGET='_top' bit right - though more through luck than judgement.

As far as i'm concerned ASP is the snake that bit Cleopatra & php is the one of the noises I make after a curry.

Should i worry?...should I stop & pull the whole thing down? icon_confused.gif

The way i figure it is i'm doing little harm as it's unlikely anyone other than family is ever likely to look at it 'cos like a lot of personal web pages it's as dull as dishwater.

but i'm still worrying... icon_frown.gif

We take our children everywhere, but they always find their way back home...

While I'm not an expert on web law, I'd say don't worry too much, unless you've blatantly infringed someone's copyright. If you've got a reasonable degree of common sense, and weren't worried before you saw all the warnings, you're probably OK. The worst that is likely to happen is you'll get an email from someone saying 'Hey, it would have been nice if you'd asked us', or even 'Please remove this link'.

As an aside - make it easy for visitors to your site to contact you by giving an e-mail address! If someone does get annoyed by something on your page, they're much more likely to be upset if you make it hard for them to contact you.

Have a look at my site and take the links to the 'Paul's Favourite Pubs' page - in theory any of them could complain that I'd mentioned them without permission, but read what I've said about them and ask yourself if any of them are likely to complain.

Final tip - give us all the link to your site and invite comments!

Paul

I came, I cached, I fell over in the mud

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz, Suni, Jack & Kashi:

After reading this lot i'm starting to worry.

I have probably violated every guideline Teasel has just mentioned!

Ach, don't worry about it. Even if you're breaking every commandment of good web programming, you're not hurting anyone, and it's all part of the learning process!

quote:
I have links to GC.com & G:UK without asking (including one to my GC.com profile & a Cache page - does that count as deep linking??) icon_confused.gif

That's deep linking, yes, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. I'm sure that neither of the sites you mentioned will have any objection.

quote:
As for "frames (bleugh!)" - I don't even know what frames are!! icon_eek.gif

Then you're probably not using them! Well done!

quote:
I just downloaded Cutesite builder & started meddling with it. (what I wanted to happen appeared to be working so I didn't bother with the manual or help)

Good for you - manuals are for wusses! icon_smile.gif

quote:
I think I got the TARGET='_top' bit right - though more through luck than judgement.

You only need to do this if you're using frames, which it sounds like you're not, so don't worry about it.

quote:
As far as i'm concerned ASP is the snake that bit Cleopatra & php is the one of the noises I make after a curry.

They're advanced languages that can be used to construct web pages on the fly. You can safely ignore them.

quote:
Should i worry?...should I stop & pull the whole thing down? icon_confused.gif

Neah. Sounds like you're doing just fine.

icon_smile.gif Thanks for the words of encouragement gentlemen.

quote:
Final tip - give us all the link to your site and invite comments!

Not a Chance! - not till it's got more content.

(It's a bit embarrasing being a non-techie with a hobby that's full of them - it's makes us shy! icon_redface.gif)

P.S. You really should get at least one Black Country Pub on your list of favourite Pubs!

It may be a dump but we get decent beer icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

P.P.S - I was reading the entry on The Tiger, East Dean....what on earth is a GROCKLE!?! icon_confused.gif

We take our children everywhere, but they always find their way back home...

Originally posted by Gaz, Suni, Jack & Kashi:

I was reading the entry on The Tiger, East Dean....what on earth is a GROCKLE!?! icon_confused.gif

QUOTE]

A grockle is a tourist. (Especially of the hankie on the head and ketchup and chips while sitting on the beach...)

One day my sigline will stop changing.

Until then, it's "Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by DerekReed:

A grockle is a tourist. (Especially of the hankie on the head and ketchup and chips while sitting on the beach...)

Are they the ones that drink Watneys Red Barrel and keep comlaining about the food "ooh it's soooo greasy here isn't it?" whilst talking to an overweight greengrocer from Ketchin and Boventry and rubbing sun tan lotion into their swollen, puffy, purulent red flesh 'cos they over-did it on the first day...? (I think I should get out more icon_wink.gif)